Coin Show VS. EBay
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Coin Show VS. EBay

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Ed

    Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    756
    2085 times
    Metal Detecting

    Coin Show VS. EBay

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	1742553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0427.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	1742554 I just bought these two coins at a coin show on Sunday. The Flying Eagle cost me $30 and the Shield Nickel cost me $17. For nice evenly worn, problem free coins with no cuts, scratches, gouges, or discoloration, prices on eBay are a lot more for the same grade. Similar coins in the same price range were absolute junk. I never buy coins on eBay even though a few of the offers are realistic.

  2. #2
    us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,359
    2029 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I agree 100%. Nothing like a coin show to really see a coin for what it is. And of course, cherry-picking. Nice coins!
    Clad2Silver and Kray Gelder like this.


    Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain


  3. #3
    us
    Ed

    Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    756
    2085 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I agree 100%. Nothing like a coin show to really see a coin for what it is. And of course, cherry-picking. Nice coins!
    Thank you.....
    Kray Gelder likes this.

  4. #4
    ca
    Feb 2019
    Ontario
    Garrett AT Pro International
    19
    48 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've noticed that a lot. I like picking through coins at coin shows for coins I think are under graded or priced low and see them going for more online. I much prefer seeing coins in person to get a good look at them.

  5. #5
    us
    Ed

    Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    756
    2085 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by CorgiDoom1881 View Post
    I've noticed that a lot. I like picking through coins at coin shows for coins I think are under graded or priced low and see them going for more online. I much prefer seeing coins in person to get a good look at them.
    Looking trough coins at a show is part of the fun, especially when you find something nice for a reasonable price.

  6. #6

    Jul 2019
    91
    398 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I cherry pick both for errors and varieties.
    If I spot a hard to spot die variety online..ty.
    I'm not under any obligation to tell the seller that they severely under valued their coin.
    I love doing the same at coin shows and a few various LCS's who don't have an eagle eye like me.
    Clad2Silver likes this.
    My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go.

  7. #7
    us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,359
    2029 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clad2Silver View Post
    Looking trough coins at a show is part of the fun, especially when you find something nice for a reasonable price.
    Seeing the coin in person is the best way to consider the overall attractiveness - and appeal, of the piece. I'm less concerned about getting the highest technical grade as I am in how appealing is the coin. Some coins are so poorly struck that despite a technically high grade, they do nothing for me. The best example (other than colonials) might be $1 gold - notorious for poor strikes. I'd rather have an attractive and well-struck EF-45 or AU-58 than a mushy MS-63.
    Clad2Silver and Arthur-Dent like this.


    Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain


  8. #8
    us
    Ed

    Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    756
    2085 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur-Dent View Post
    I cherry pick both for errors and varieties.
    If I spot a hard to spot die variety online..ty.
    I'm not under any obligation to tell the seller that they severely under valued their coin.
    I love doing the same at coin shows and a few various LCS's who don't have an eagle eye like me.
    Cherry picking a dealer's stock is a good way to sometimes find a REAL bargain because not all "dealers" are all that knowledgeable. Granted, most of the time these guys will OVERgrade their coins but once in a while it goes the other way. And YES, absolutely, I'd NEVER tell them that their coin was under valued. That's my reward for taking the time to do research, study the market and make the effort to seek out those mistakes others make.

    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Seeing the coin in person is the best way to consider the overall attractiveness - and appeal, of the piece. I'm less concerned about getting the highest technical grade as I am in how appealing is the coin. Some coins are so poorly struck that despite a technically high grade, they do nothing for me. The best example (other than colonials) might be $1 gold - notorious for poor strikes. I'd rather have an attractive and well-struck EF-45 or AU-58 than a mushy MS-63.
    Totally agree with you on all points. Most of the coins I buy are mid range....Fine, Very Fine, Extra Fine. At these grades the coins look nice but are priced at a level that my budget allows. Coins that grade high but are poorly struck or are "mushy" do nothing for me either. I'm also not too crazy about toned BU coins....some aren't bad but I've seen some that to me look absolutely horrible.
    Last edited by Clad2Silver; Aug 12, 2019 at 02:05 PM.
    Arthur-Dent likes this.

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    25,523
    26920 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Two very nice coins! IMHO: Coin shows are the place to get good deals, but they are not as popular these days where I live.

  10. #10
    us
    Ed

    Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    756
    2085 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor of Engineering View Post
    Two very nice coins! IMHO: Coin shows are the place to get good deals, but they are not as popular these days where I live.
    Thanks POE.....I totally agree that coin shows are where you can get the best deals but aren't as popular these days. The show that I bought these coins at was in Auburn Mass. They used to have the show on a monthly basis but due to declining attendance the show is now only put on every other month. I enjoy looking for coins I want and then negotiating a final sale price with the dealer. You can't do that when you buy online or through the mail. In Connecticut, in the 1980's and 90's there used to be a coin show somewhere virtually every Sunday but a lot of those shows are no longer in existence.
    Arthur-Dent likes this.

  11. #11

    Jul 2019
    91
    398 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The 70's and 80's are going to be known as the heyday for many hobbies.. IMHO anyways.
    I remember those days well. Coin shows at the local VFW Hall every other weekend.
    Those events are long gone.
    I remember detecting the late 70's up through the late 80's..if you came home without silver in your pocket, you must have been using a RadioShack tector..lol.
    But yeah, cherry picking is the cream of the crop!
    If I put the research and effort into learning everything that I can about the coins, I should benefit!
    Hard work equals big rewards!
    I had this conversation with a friend who owns a LCS, he's like, you don't cherry pick me, do you ?
    Loose lips, sink ships!
    Clad2Silver likes this.
    My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go.

  12. #12
    us
    Ed

    Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    756
    2085 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur-Dent View Post
    The 70's and 80's are going to be known as the heyday for many hobbies.. IMHO anyways.
    I remember those days well. Coin shows at the local VFW Hall every other weekend.
    Those events are long gone.
    I remember detecting the late 70's up through the late 80's..if you came home without silver in your pocket, you must have been using a RadioShack tector..lol.
    But yeah, cherry picking is the cream of the crop!
    If I put the research and effort into learning everything that I can about the coins, I should benefit!
    Hard work equals big rewards!
    I had this conversation with a friend who owns a LCS, he's like, you don't cherry pick me, do you ?
    Loose lips, sink ships!
    Hobbies like coin collecting and stamp collecting are dying a slow death. The local stamp dealer went out of business recently because sales were rock bottom. I belong to a coin club and the vast majority of members are senior citizens like me. The same goes for the people who attend coin shows. There's virtually no young people coming into these hobbies which doesn't bode well for their future.
    Arthur-Dent and Megalodon like this.

  13. #13

    Jul 2019
    91
    398 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hard to "like" that post!
    True though.
    I've seen so many ads recently for wanting to trade rare stamps for coins.
    Good luck I say!
    The lack of interest from young people has one benefit, silver dumps are becoming more common again.
    Several times this year already, I had seen young people selling off grandpa's coin collection and didn't know about silver coins...at all!
    I watched a dealer who I trusted offer one kid face value on Peace Dollars.
    I lost a friend in that!
    Told the kid that I'd pay him 8x face.. still a good deal for me!
    Not a nice thing to do inside someone else's business.

    Another thing about the younger generation, they toss grandma's antiques on the curb like it is modern Chinese plastic junk!

    Sorry, I rant sometimes!
    My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go.

  14. #14
    us
    Ed

    Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    756
    2085 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur-Dent View Post
    Hard to "like" that post!
    True though.
    I've seen so many ads recently for wanting to trade rare stamps for coins.
    Good luck I say!
    The lack of interest from young people has one benefit, silver dumps are becoming more common again.
    Several times this year already, I had seen young people selling off grandpa's coin collection and didn't know about silver coins...at all!
    I watched a dealer who I trusted offer one kid face value on Peace Dollars.
    I lost a friend in that!
    Told the kid that I'd pay him 8x face.. still a good deal for me!
    Not a nice thing to do inside someone else's business.

    Another thing about the younger generation, they toss grandma's antiques on the curb like it is modern Chinese plastic junk!

    Sorry, I rant sometimes!
    Not only do today's kids have no knowledge of what a silver coin is, they don't even know about some of the clad. One time back in the early 70's when the IKE dollars came out I took a few to spend and when I handed them to the cashier I was told "Sorry, we don't accept foreign coins" !!! Even passing Kennedy half dollars will sometimes get you the "skunk eye". Like you said...there is a silver lining to all this. Those of us in the know can take advantage sometimes of other people's lack of knowledge whether it's coins, antiques or anything else of value.
    sheiswe and Arthur-Dent like this.

  15. #15
    us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,359
    2029 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clad2Silver View Post
    Hobbies like coin collecting and stamp collecting are dying a slow death. The local stamp dealer went out of business recently because sales were rock bottom. I belong to a coin club and the vast majority of members are senior citizens like me. The same goes for the people who attend coin shows. There's virtually no young people coming into these hobbies which doesn't bode well for their future.
    I don't know how dealers operating in the so-called brick-and-mortar shops can stay in business with the outrageous leases being charged. Turns out the way to make money is not to provide a service or sell a product but to buy commercial property and then really stick it to some poor dreamer (or another dollar store...) trying to make a go of it. Friends of mine who run a very nice used book shop are finally calling it quits after 28 years in business because they can't make enough to pay the rent.

    And of course, the cultural change away from coins, stamps, books (heck, reading itself...).
    Clad2Silver likes this.


    Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Another eBay coin deal
    By Beachkid23 in forum Coins
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 02, 2015, 07:35 AM
  2. Ebay coin
    By nsdq in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 22, 2013, 07:42 AM
  3. USA Coin Book - Look Up Coin Info - Alternative to eBay
    By usacoinbook in forum Commercial Links
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 23, 2010, 01:47 AM
  4. Best coin I ever nabbed on eBay...
    By wyatt earp in forum Coins
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Nov 16, 2009, 10:05 PM
  5. Ebay coin buying
    By bourassa5 in forum Coins
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jan 28, 2009, 09:23 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0