Pennies it’s amazing how eaten up they get in my area

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in western Pennsylvania, I find many modern pennies being that said it’s getting to the point I can’t make out the dam thing front to back again not wheats. I was thinking this hobby may take a hit considering not in my lifetime but there after they might eliminate the coins and that means less to find and if they do like I said you will never be able to read them, any opinions on this matter, not talking about silver, it’s a shame r ground must be eTing these things up, dam crazy stuff going on in the ground, anyone care to predict the future of coins detecting does this make sense or not, appreciate it my friends

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's not just the ground action, today's pennies are made of cheap zinc and have just enough copper to give them color.
what happens to the hobby after I'm gone is of no concern to me .

Last edited:

az46

Jul 1, 2017
Sonoran desert
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 , Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the penny's I fined here in Arizona are really bad.

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
I live in a new part of the country, as far as having a population of people until the early 1900's. I find very few coins that date older than the 1920's. So, the only coins that would fall into the 'zinkers' range are mostly 'zinkers'. Not much of a chance to find IH pennies as I have detected here for over 28 years and only know of 3 IH pennies being found in that time. I have been detecting since 1971 but now days I am a clad stabber. I am 70. I have a bad back. It is almost ALWAYS hot down here. It is almost always dry down here. The ground is almost always like concrete down here. So, in order for me to be able to stay out and dig up a few good coins, I just do not dig the zinkers. I got tired to throwing out well over half of the zinkers that I was digging because they were so badly deteriorated that the banks refuse to take them. So, I don't dig the zinkers. Solved my problem.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find Memorials on soccer fields that are completely roached. Maybe the fertilizer and the cheap zinc? I really don't know why we even make the penny anymore... They should use Aluminum (pop tabs sure last a long time just fine)

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My hunts are on Florida's east coast beaches and you should see what salt water does to zinc pennies...and it doesn't take long.

What always amazes me just as much as the quick deterioration is why we find a preponderance of pennies. Why do people even bring them to the beach? You can't do or buy anything with them.

My record (thus far) is 13 pennies all in a 2 foot square area and I had to dig each one separately! Probably a little kid was playing with them and just lost them all or....and I've seen this before....some sadist was playing tricks on all those scavengers with metal detectors! :dontknow:

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that’s why Wheaties r in better shape than memorials because less copper and more zinc , makes sense appreciate the knowledge, my detector reaches a conclusion penny and dime almost the same nickel and quarter much different, what r quartered and nickel made of then

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
So that’s why Wheaties r in better shape than memorials because less copper and more zinc , makes sense appreciate the knowledge, my detector reaches a conclusion penny and dime almost the same nickel and quarter much different, what r quartered and nickel made of then

Wheat back cents are Bronze, 95% copper and 2.5% copper and tin with the exception of the 1943 zinc coated steel cents.
In 1982 the mint started producing cents that are copper coated zinc.
Which is 97.5% zinc 2.5% copper.

Nickels are made of Cupronickel.
25% Nickel and 75% copper.
Quarters are also cupronickel. 8.33% Nickel and the rest copper.
Dimes and half dollars are Cupronickel too.

I hope that helps.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Got stinkin' Zincolns!
How many do you want ? :laughing7:
20190818_192804.jpg

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tumble them for an Hour the run them thru a Coinstar at least the ones that are in half way decent shape i get about 60 percent to go thru Thought of taking them to a Fed reserve bank for replacments Havent gotten up the nerve yet !!! HH Chug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread