are "treasure markers" real ?

lone_flyer

Greenie
Jul 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The common consensus among treasure hunters is
that there are mystical markers that point to the treasure.
???

But here is a big problem:

When you take a shovel and dig for hours a hole.

You move back and the hole is very insignificant.

Almost not noticeable.:BangHead:

Why would someone hundreds of years ago that had a shovel of much lower quality than me.

That did not have a car to drive him to a quick distance to the spot.

Why would he waste unimaginable effort to carve a rock statues etc... just to mark a treasure marker.

Why?

When he could spend all that monolithic effort to transport the treasure to a safe place.

Please explain or forward me to a place that gives the reasons why...

Thank you for your input, I already learned so much here...

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh Lone Flyer, you ask troublesome questions. You are thinking this through, using a logical thought process. You wonder if somehow moving and stacking ten ton boulders to mark "hidden treasure" seems a bit much? Removing half of a rock cliff face to form a pseudo animal form, just so you can remember where you hid it appears labor intensive?

The conclusion is these things did not happen, are not as claimed. But then, what would be the fun in that? People need to believe something, and the truth is boring.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
we had kind of an expert on 'signs' here, Tom-from-CA, but he has moved on . . . .
I think he was good on turtles, particularly those stolen or defaced (hidden ?)

as Kray said, some just have a need to believe in (pick the target)

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we had kind of an expert on 'signs' here, Tom-from-CA, but he has moved on . . . .

::)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like they said. But you have to remember they used alien made bulldozers and anti grav items. And if you believe THAT, I'll sell you a bridge in New York very cheap!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom will probably be back after serving his time, become engaged in some debate, violate his probation, and get moved on again.

Mother Superior

Jan 18, 2017
Quebec city
Primary Interest:
Other
???

Why would someone hundreds of years ago that had a shovel of much lower quality than me.

Why would he waste unimaginable effort to carve a rock statues etc... just to mark a treasure marker.

Why?

When he could spend all that monolithic effort to transport the treasure to a safe place.

Hi, may I refer you to this thread? It is quite extensive.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...5-guide-vault-treasure-hunting-condensed.html

OP
OP
L

lone_flyer

Greenie
Jul 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for referring me to that thread.
If someone did actually make those massive markers (and they are not imagined???)
it must be for a purpose or reason much more important than
pointing to a little buried bucket.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
banjo.jpg

Mother Superior

Jan 18, 2017
Quebec city
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for referring me to that thread.
If someone did actually make those massive markers (and they are not imagined???)
it must be for a purpose or reason much more important than
pointing to a little buried bucket.

I agree.
I am also not saying that any of this is true or false, I just thought that almost everything that was brought forward in that thread was fascinating and well researched by someone with a very practical approach.
It deserves a read for sure.

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
???

Why?

I Think that there were some instances of where this occurred. (marking the site of their treasure) These however gave rise to even more legends than actually existed. If you think of how many markers people have found and how little treasure has been found I think this is explanation for itself. I believe it follows the same thought process you have when you play the lottery. Somebody will win and someone will find treasure. We all hope it is us! The main thing is "you won't find treasure if you don't look" and "you won't win the lottery if you don't play". Buy a ticket and go treasure hunting.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In olden days people didn’t use or make maps. They travelled by what they visually observed. If you misidentified a mountain or location then you got lost. Why so many stories of lost mines in the Southwest? People weren’t really sure of where they were! And for the most part if you hid or buried something it would be relative to some feature on the landscape that you would remember and find your way back to. And in some cases they may have put in a marker.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
a good memory was a survival trait, trackers will look back often - that is the return path

hand carved monuments using other rocks as tools is modern-day foolishness

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just thought that almost everything that was brought forward in that thread was fascinating and well researched by someone with a very practical approach.

I've read it, and I found it to be 99% pareidolia, (maybe) 1% "oh that looks interesting."

it must be for a purpose or reason much more important than pointing to a little buried bucket.

The imagination that transforms natural formations into man-made treasure markers also insists that the treasure is not just a little bucket, but a large vault. But even though the "monument" markers people claim to see are natural, consider this: if you were in the middle on nowhere with a treasure you couldn't haul out at the time, would you hide it at a nondescript location or would you look for a really unique natural formation? It's possible odds play into this somewhat, but to look at every formation and say, "There's treasure buried nearby!" is just wishful thinking. If you look through the Treasure Marks/Signs forum at all the treasure that's actually been found, it sums up to zero. But they're having fun, and it gets them out for some nice hikes.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buried something VERY valuable and didn't intend to return for several years..what type of precautions would you take? What if you were going to send someone else to retrieve it for you?

Mind you, there will only be trees, streams, and mountains to use as reference and it may be a couple months of walking or sailing to get there.

I think it's plausible that there may be some markers established if it was a very significant treasure.

I buried a jar of pennys in the yard as a kid and still have not found them.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you stare at something long enough, you will see something.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
because you did not carve a monument
Really, your right..Had I left a blaze on a tree or stacked some rocks, I think I would have a better chance.
It's only a 1/2 acre or so to search. I'm sure I had a map buts its long lost.

Survey monuments are meant to be found...they have obvious reference monuments.
Blazed trees with scribing. Stacked rocks...line trees, buried charcoal, buried broken glass, rocks brought in that are not native to the area, special patterns of bark hacks, in cases of there being no trees or rocks, pits were dug..
Finally, careful notes and sketches archived in special places so as to survive time.

Many times treasure probably has to be buried so as to lighten the load in the case of a party of men that were in a bad situation...starving, dying of thirst, being hunted, sick, wounded, trying to outrun the weather.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good challenge to put you in the correct mindset...
Say someone gives you a sack of gold coins..you have to hike 20 miles cross country in unfamiliar territory. Some of your hiking will be at night due to the heat or maybe you are being chased or followed.

Without warning, you will be given 1 hour to bury the coins 2' deep.
If you can come back 12 months later and find them (without a metal detector), you can keep them.

Several other people will be given the general location. If they find the coins first...they keep them.

You cannot draw a map until a couple weeks later.

What would you do for insurance so as to be able to dig exactly in the correct location a year later?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread