Offered gold today.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Offered gold today.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1089 times

Offered gold today.

I was at the local WinCo store, and had a guy offer to sell some gold chains and rings he had. I had a couple of hundred $ on me, and took him up on it. All of the items still had tags on them!!!!! First thing he offered me was a 14K gold chain, for $100. Next, was another 2 gold 14L chains for $150. Next a 14K 9 diamond man's ring, for $100, and finally a 14K 3-carat man's gold ring, still with the tag on it, for $150. He offered it to me for $200, but I only had $150 on me at the time. The 3-carat ring still had a price tag of $28,000 on it! I am a retired newspaper person, so I kind of suspect these were stolen. But there was nothing in the news in the past month or 2. Comments?
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Aug 16, 2019 at 08:38 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    6788 times
    Metal Detecting
    Stolen? Why would you think that?
    Billieg, wagbert, Reanm8er and 5 others like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    4232 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That’s an old trick. I’d be willing to bet that you bought junk jewelry that had a high price tag on it to make you think that you were getting a really good deal. I got a feeling that you've been had by a parking lot conman.

btw, never ever buy anything that you suspect is stolen. No matter the price!
    Last edited by GaRebel1861; Aug 15, 2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: missing word.

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1089 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GaRebel1861 View Post
    That’s an old trick. I’d be willing to bet that you bought junk jewelry that had a high price tag on it to make you think that you were getting a really good deal. I got a feeling that you've been had by a parking lot conman.

btw, never ever buy anything that you suspect is stolen. No matter the price!
    All of them: the rings, the gold necklaces: had price tags. The 3-carat ring had a tag from Zale's, which is where I got my last diamond ring from.

Everything had 14K markings on them.
    Kray Gelder and A2coins like this.

us
    Aug 2009
    Southeastern, NC
    Garrett AT Pro
    95 times
    Trust me, you want to get it tested and I will almost guarantee you it is fake, price tag and stamp 18k regardless. Many jewelers put displays up that appear real, but are not. My brother got burned a few years ago same way at a gas station buying a "His/Hers bridal set diamonds encrusted 18k gold. He gave the guy $100 for them. Took it to a pawn shop to see what it was worth and was told it was display jewelry lol. I saw them myself they appeared authentic. Its a common scam but then again there is always that "small percent" its real and hotter than the sun and next thing you know you are trying to explain to the FBI your alibi lol
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Aug 16, 2019 at 08:32 AM.

us
    Jan 2013
    Alabama
    White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
    280 times
    I've worked in several jewelry stores over the years and I'm pretty good at looking at jewelry and being able to tell if it's real or not. In most places I worked we had display jewelry and it looked real. Most of the "gold" was just brass and stones made of glass. Also there's just a ton of fakes out there. Two weeks ago I found a nice looking man's gold bracelet and it was stamped "14k Italy" on it. I said immediately that it was fake and the two guys hunting with me swore it was real and I was wrong. One guy even used a loupe to look closely. I got home and checked it and sure enough it was fake. I could see the copper showing through the edges. The old saying "if it's too good to be true then it probably isn't" is true the majority of the time. Nobody is likely going to sell a $28k ring for a single Benjamin whether it's stolen or not.

Fake.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    24118 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Probably fake. Anyone can buy one of the 14k or 18k stamps on Ebay or elsewhere.

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    3519 times
    A vendor at a jewelry show handed me a pair of gold hoop earrings. I didn't pay her anything for them
    but they had that plated look about them. But the real tip was the weight. Lite as a feather. They turned
    out to be gold plated plastic.

On the police shows where the detective finds the jewelry of the murder victim in the pawn shop down
    the street, is a total fiction. Thieves and illegal pawn brokers use mules to the move the stuff all around
    the country. The stuff gets traded back and forth for drugs and payment for criminal activity of all kinds.
    I'm told there's a criminal network that travels from Fla to New York along I 95 moving drugs and
    contraband all along the way. They pick up and drop off stolen goods and re-distribute them to places far
    removed from the original crime. The things they pick up on the northern leg are re-distributed
    along I 81. That's why you wouldn't see it in the local paper.

We had a legitimate licensed pawn broker in our region that would send some of the firearms he
    bought to other regions "so that the original owners wouldn't run into some stranger hunting with
    their rifle". The ATF caught him buying guns off the record and linked him to nearly 10,000
    unregistered firearms.

Rub the items between your fingers and then smell them. You may smell brass. Then imagine
    Ben Franklin with wings!
    Phil

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    6788 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Reanm8er View Post
    A vendor at a jewelry show handed me a pair of gold hoop earrings. I didn't pay her anything for them
    but they had that plated look about them. But the real tip was the weight. Lite as a feather. They turned
    out to be gold plated plastic.

On the police shows where the detective finds the jewelry of the murder victim in the pawn shop down
    the street, is a total fiction. Thieves and illegal pawn brokers use mules to the move the stuff all around
    the country. The stuff gets traded back and forth for drugs and payment for criminal activity of all kinds.
    I'm told there's a criminal network that travels from Fla to New York along I 95 moving drugs and
    contraband all along the way. They pick up and drop off stolen goods and re-distribute them to places far
    removed from the original crime. The things they pick up on the northern leg are re-distributed
    along I 81. That's why you wouldn't see it in the local paper.

We had a legitimate licensed pawn broker in our region that would send some of the firearms he
    bought to other regions "so that the original owners wouldn't run into some stranger hunting with
    their rifle". The ATF caught him buying guns off the record and linked him to nearly 10,000
    unregistered firearms.

Rub the items between your fingers and then smell them. You may smell brass. Then imagine
    Ben Franklin with wings!
    I worked with a guy that was part of that Florida to New Jersey crowd. A real Goomba. He was always pushing gold rings, bracelets, necklaces, diamond jewelry, all used, warm to the touch. He denied they were stolen, that he was in the "jewelry business". At the same time, he would brag about his road trips to Florida and Atlanta all the time, and would hint about his connection to the mob. A real piece of work. His name was Salvadore. Hey Sal. Like a walking cliche'.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    12377 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    probably had a trunkful of them, me, I would smile and walk away. quickly
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    3519 times
    Me too dirtlooter, just because I can't run anymore!

us
    Samantha

Apr 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    White‘s Sierra Madre White‘s TM–600
    104 times
    Cache Hunting
    Even if a gold chain is stamped with a Karat number it does not guarantee that the piece is solid gold.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    443 times
    I dug an ugly wedding band style ring and wanted to cash it in . it was marked 18k so was looking for some beer money.
    the guy at the pawn shop held out a magnet and the ring jumped from 2'' away and stuck.
    he looked at me and said they can't offer anything on that junk. he told me lots of crap out of China is marked 18K
    BillA, doc-d, SusanMN and 3 others like this.

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1089 times
    Thanks for the opinions, folks. I looked online for the rings and chains, couldn't find any of them! Maybe they are fake. I'll need to take them to a jeweler to be sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links