Shallow water hooka system, can i build one cheap??

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about this set up, unfortunately its a 1.5 hour drive one way to fill a tank....
INSTEAD OF A DIVE SHOP - TRY AND FIND A PLACE THAT DOES FIRE EXTINGUISHERS AND OTHER GASES - PAINT BALL TANKS ETC.
Buy extra tanks if you can - my guy does safety checks on tanks every year and charges a few bucks to do it - i think i pay $5
a tank to fill and drop all 3 of at once - usually get them the next day - I dont need to be certified to get them filled there

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be safe what ever you do! I bought mine ...breathing carbon monoxide under water or bad air is not gonna be in my future....I have a review video of my hookah system on my youtube channel....

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see all the advice above... and I really dont agree with SOME of it.IT IS YOUR LIFE your messing around with...and a few bucks well is not worth it.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I know I can get my tank filled locally...

What Im building is basically the same thing in your video...

Dive tank with floater...
Air hose with regulator...

With using a inspected tank and new hose/regulator wheres the risk??

Not sure what you paid for your ready made system but Ill have about 200$ into this system, Im thinking yours is a bit more then a "few bucks"more.. 900$-1200$ Im guessing ???

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$500 bucks.. Inspected tank and regulator no problems...The diving certification course I took said only have tanks FILLED at a reputable dive center. Had a section in the course about contaminated air... I know the dive shop filters the air... does the place that fills paint ball guns and fire extingushers do the same? If there is moisture in the air it will corrode your air tank ….. that is correct isn't it???

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$500 bucks.. Inspected tank and regulator no problems...The diving certification course I took said only have tanks FILLED at a reputable dive center. Had a section in the course about contaminated air... I know the dive shop filters the air... does the place that fills paint ball guns and fire extingushers do the same? If there is moisture in the air it will corrode your air tank ….. that is correct isn't it???

12 days late, but you are correct. Please do not have somewhere that fills paintball tanks fill your scuba tank. Just because they can pump in 3000 psi of compressed air doesn't mean it is safe air for you to breath. Scuba air needs to be filtered thoroughly to remove moisture, oil residue, fumes. A fill from a fire station with the air use is safer but you need to check their certification and filter setup first, especially at small and rural fire dept's.

Also, if you will be breathing compressed air, PLEASE take a scuba course and learn what can kill you. You can really mess yourself up in very shallow water (4'-10'). IF you take a breath of compressed air at those shallow depths and hold your breath while coming up you can do some damage. You need to learn these things. Please don't just buy a tank and regulator and think its safe to just go jump in the water because you are staying shallow. Because you aren't.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing, most fire depts WILL NOT fill your scuba tank. Its a liability and they aren't going to open themselves to a lawsuit because someone claims they got bad air from the FD. Even if they would, would you want it? Do you know how to inspect their air filtration system and testing results? Air problems to a guy breathing on the surface are 1000X worse when you start going deeper and deeper under the surface. 30ft is a LONG way down when you dont know what you are doing. Take a SCUBA course first.

Now, back to the OT... theres a big difference between snuba and hookah. Dont go building your own contraption. Buy a good used one and be done. You can wind up dead pretty fast if you dont know what you are doing. If you DO know what you are doing and buying all the parts individually, you are going to spend more than buying one from the start.

Voyager32

Greenie
Mar 10, 2018
Vancouver B.C.
Detector(s) used
ScubaTector
Equinox 600
Harbor freight
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
4B073E05-20AA-4DB8-BCDD-ECA01052B9AD.jpeg you can build a 12v one for under $300, I’ve built two the first one I used to work on my sailboat and recreation diving to 40ft, gave it to my son after selling the boat he still uses it occasionally, the second I put together for shallow metal detecting, mostly under 8ft, I like to stay on the bottom while fanning the target, most times I can stand up, still beats snorkeling for an old guy, it works fine despite the doom and gloomers,

Sheepdog43338

Oct 22, 2019
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Excalibur II,,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I get my tanks filled at a paintball place. Just a thought

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get my tanks filled at a paintball place. Just a thought

Not only no, but WHAT THE !@#$ ARE YOU THINKING, "NO"!!!!

I dont even know where to begin with the lunacy of your post. Frickin Darwin award material right there.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Breathable air MUST be pumped by a water lubricated pump, not an oil lubricated pump which most pumps are, if you breathe air from a tank filled by an oil lubricated pump, the oil vapor in the air will coat your lungs and you will DIE an excruciating death.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breathable air MUST be pumped by a water lubricated pump, not an oil lubricated pump which most pumps are, if you breathe air from a tank filled by an oil lubricated pump, the oil vapor in the air will coat your lungs and you will DIE an excruciating death.

[FONT=&quot]Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead.”[/FONT]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread