All Treasure Hunting

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never detected in what I would consider extreme temperatures but in general any electronic device could potentially be affected by temperature so I would assume it's a possibility that there could be some changes in performance that's just my uneducated guess though

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv detected extreme cold say 10 degrees or so with my ATpro, I didnt notice any problems, extreme heat Iv notice when the ground is really dry my signals are different in sound and VDI seems the signals are scratchy and VDI numbers are a little higher...

OP
OP
Pick_axe

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never detected in what I would consider extreme temperatures but in general any electronic device could potentially be affected by temperature so I would assume it's a possibility that there could be some changes in performance that's just my uneducated guess though
Yeah, I think those little integrated circuits are kind of delicate.

OP
OP
Pick_axe

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv detected extreme cold say 10 degrees or so with my ATpro, I didnt notice any problems, extreme heat Iv notice when the ground is really dry my signals are different in sound and VDI seems the signals are scratchy and VDI numbers are a little higher...
Okay! This is the sort of thing I'm looking for. Not that I want to go detecting in the 103 degree heat this afternoon.
I see you swing an Equinox 800. Mine arrives tomorrow.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay! This is the sort of thing I'm looking for. Not that I want to go detecting in the 103 degree heat this afternoon.
I see you swing an Equinox 800. Mine arrives tomorrow.

Yes the Nox is a beast of a machine you will be happy, what I did when I got mine was hit some local parks and dug it all, itll help you get familiar with the tones...Alot of guys going from an AT machine try to dig scratchy, signals the Nox will hit hard on coins digging iffy signals will produce bent nails so dont get discouraged by that, the more you use it the more youll see what Im talking about...

OP
OP
Pick_axe

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the Nox is a beast of a machine you will be happy, what I did when I got mine was hit some local parks and dug it all, itll help you get familiar with the tones...Alot of guys going from an AT machine try to dig scratchy, signals the Nox will hit hard on coins digging iffy signals will produce bent nails so dont get discouraged by that, the more you use it the more youll see what Im talking about...
Thanks, Toecutter. I've already got a permission locally.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And congrats on the new machine!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detectors shouldn't care. Batteries - they can. I have experienced "brown outs" with AA batteries in very cold temperatures.

I have also experienced "frozen" LCD that lose segments in the cold.

As far as heat - I have "heard" accounts where the temperature inside a car (+140ºF(?)) caused a mechanical warp in the control head board that damaged the connections/components. Similar might happen with the search coil epoxy. Heat will soften cured epoxy. But not the levels you might comfortably be using the detector in. You'd be done before it was.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my Deus, no issues at 100 degrees or at 20 degrees.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet! Most electronic will perform without any noticable problem well out of temerature range you will feel confortable. In very extrem high temperatures you may experience black display and problems with conductive rubber contacts, such as those in your keyboard and display contacts. Some changes may remain irevesible. This mostly occur when leaving the detector on the direct sun or in a trunck of your car, parked in the sun. The temperatures in such cases may exceed 100°C. In very cold enviroment, such as hihg mountin mornings in my country, the bateries will go first - this will ocure rather fast, you do not need -20°C. The effect is reversible, but as long as the batteries are cold your detector woun't work.

The performance and behaviour of your detector will also slitely change threw the temperature range you are using it. This is mostly due to the probe, the polimere material will diletate and schrinck with temperature, changeing the phisical position of coils in the probe in its relative aspect. Usually the electronic is well able to compensate for this, but not always without the price.

OP
OP
Pick_axe

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, GreenBoy. Okay, what I've gathered so far is the detector's performance may be affected by temperature but not to any appreciable amount (while the temps are still acceptable to the operator). I wont hunt in sub-zero or +triple digit temps, so I guess that answers my question. Thanks guys!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been several reported cases of the Nox screen going black (or blank) when subjected to extreme heat and direct sunlight. Most LCD’s will react that way after an overtemp condition. all the ones I read about recovered when the machine cooled down.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FWIW, the original Detech Ulitimate 13 inch coil was white because they thought the black ones absorbed too much heat. I had that coil and it worked pretty well until it died.

Now I have a black one, and it seems to work just as well. The hottest I've detected is 98 or so degree days.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leave my AT max in the car trunk year round Its been through negative degrees and triple digits. Its fine so far. Not a single problem.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tesoros and XP Deus live in a hot or freezing car year round. Some detectors are simply made better than other ones. I think issues will increase as the manufacturers cut corners to compete in the near future.

Now, my detecting a few times with blowing horizontal snow squalls w wind chill at about 10 degrees was a little "off", but we found good stuff those days.

I also like digging where this just a little ice in the ground.

slide95

Mar 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you're actually measuring is the difference in RI between your mobile phase and your mobile phase + analyte. While temperature *stability* important, the actual temperature is less so, except insofar as it affects the ability to maintain constant temperature.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not put my machines in danger, leave them in comfy household temperatures. It has been 30 years plus, but I have detected in zero temperatures = yeah I was a serious nut back then. Frozen ground digging? Can't recommend it.....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info I bring mine inside when I'm not using her

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread