Treasure Coast, as you ready for the hurricane?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never move to Florida. Those things scare me. I guess I'm a "scaredey cat"! Don't like iguanas, coral snakes, water moccasins, fire ants, diamondbacks and that goofy lawn grass you have down there either. Plus the lightning.

Isabel nailed us badly. I had no power for 5 days. I had a 12 volt sump hooked up which saved the basement. I lost 5 trees then and frankly, was blessed to not have more damage. Some people died about 30 miles from here.

During Andrew, a BIG tornado passed over, but didn't touch down here. Sounded just like the freight trains you hear about.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
hurricanes are bad news, and where they hit repeatedly . . . . .
the surge from Ike filled the house and when the water dropped it blew the walls out;
3 days later the power came back, and the roof burned off - I came back to CR

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ike was a cat 4. (I looked it up.) With all the building on the coasts, it's just a matter of time for any particular community to get hammered. I'm over 100 miles inland and 900 feet above sea level, and STILL had a lot of property damage. Two years ago I spent $3k getting rid of a huge oak that had started leaning toward the house. Some things we can take care of, others, not so much.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
House was in La Porte ~200' from the bay, 9' surge on lot with +1' elevation. I was 300 mi north.

Tree maintenance is a constant.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me about it. One arborvitae had gotten to over 15' and I had it and 4 others removed last week. They had gotten up into the power lines.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all get something. Here in Florida we are used to the hurricanes. Most of us have hurricane boxes full of supplies and a generator with at least a weeks worth of fuel to run 12 hrs a day on and off. Anything over a cat 3 I'm out of here though. In 2004 Charlie hit my house in Punta Gorda with 172 mph winds and blew it down killing my wife so I will never again stick around for a big one. This one should be no stronger than a cat 2 by the time it hits my area. Right after it passes I'll be out on the beach looking for Spanish!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all get something. Here in Florida we are used to the hurricanes. Most of us have hurricane boxes full of supplies and a generator with at least a weeks worth of fuel to run 12 hrs a day on and off. Anything over a cat 3 I'm out of here though. In 2004 Charlie hit my house in Punta Gorda with 172 mph winds and blew it down killing my wife so I will never again stick around for a big one. This one should be no stronger than a cat 2 by the time it hits my area. Right after it passes I'll be out on the beach looking for Spanish!

Sorry to hear about your wife.

It is hard to convey to people how unpredictable hurricanes can be.

No one evr knows where they will go and what they will become...

Most times its way to late to do anything about the situation for...

by the time you know its going to hit you OR your area...

Its about to hit it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Btw...

It will be at least a three.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your wife.

It is hard to convey to people how unpredictable hurricanes can be.

No one evr knows where they will go and what they will become...

Most times its way to late to do anything about the situation for...

by the time you know its going to hit you OR your area...

Its about to hit it.

You are so right. We knew it was coming but it's path was 90 miles off the coast and headed for Tampa 110 miles north. At the very last minute it turned and came over Captiva island and took out 4 miles of the island and came up the Peace river. Our house was on the river so we had maybe 20 minutes to get ready. I threw everything outside that could blow away into the pool and we hunkered down. I put the wife, dog and cat in the center bathroom in the tub and I watched from a picture window. When it hit it blew my garage over the trees and it was gone. Next, it blew a single wide trailer with a gal and her 2 kids into the front of my house and then over it. there weer hogs, cattle, horses, and lord knows what blowing by. When the trailer hit my house it blew down the wall I was standing near and I got trapped under it. That was what saved my life. It took me 2 hrs to dig out when it quit.
I''ve been through a lot in my life but that was as bad as it gets. If it gets worse than a cat 3 you had better leave. As it looks now it will be a 3 until it hits the coast and then come down to a 2. I'm 36 miles inland so it still will hit pretty hard. I also was smart enough to buy a concrete block home instead of a wood frame....

Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had enough with Michael last year.. but the beaches might be profitable

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cower with run-of-the-mill thunderstorms. I've come very, very close to being hit by lightning three times in my life. All three times I was inside a building. Nothing like standing at the junction of a room and hallway and see the bolt zip through an open window, right past your face and out through an air conditioner. Missed me by 12 inches.

slide95

Mar 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's like asking how bad are Tornados in a specific area. It's weather- you never know when or where they are going to strike. Next year we could be the epicenter of 3 hurricanes, if the Lord is determined to make it so. You never know.

No matter where you live, Mother Nature is always an issue. It could be earthquakes, hail, blizzards, etc. I like taking my chances with a hurricane, because as FlaLadyB has posted, you pretty much know days in advance if you are in harm's way.

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread