Detecting after Dorian

maxpower151

Aug 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

While it's not entirely certain where hurricane Dorian is going to hit, it's a good bet that the sands on the treasure coast in Florida are going to shift. I want to head out there after the storm (assuming roads are passable and it makes any sense to do so) and see if anything washed up from the 1715 fleet. Any advice from seasoned Floridian detectorists? Also, is anyone in west or central Florida interested in making the trip too?

***CLARIFICATION***
I have no intention of heading TOWARDS the storm and being on the east coast for it. However, in the days after it passes, or perhaps the next weekend, I'd like to head over there.

Thanks

Last edited:

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You have a good idea, especially if it strengthens to a Category 4 as they are projecting!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live through it. Treasure isn't worth your life. PLUS the stuff will be around for weeks to come, just like it was with Sandy, we found the shipwreck coins for over a year and TONS of folks were detecting.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it lands as a Cat 4 why not stay home instead of getting in the way of everyone that's trying to help.

The panhandle still ain't right and it's been over a year since Hurricane Michael.

Plenty of time to clog the roads later.

OP
OP
M

maxpower151

Aug 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To clarify, I mean to head out there in the days AFTER the storm. Perhaps even the following weekend if areas are flooded.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up north here after Sandy, the road was closed for two weeks. No one could get to the beach unless they hiked 5 miles.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In addition to the hurricane Friday marks the beginning of Florida’s “ king tides “ when the tides will be highest due to the moon.

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

While it's not entirely certain where hurricane Dorian is going to hit, it's a good bet that the sands on the treasure coast in Florida are going to shift. I want to head out there after the storm (assuming roads are passable and it makes any sense to do so) and see if anything washed up from the 1715 fleet. Any advice from seasoned Floridian detectorists? Also, is anyone in west or central Florida interested in making the trip too?

***CLARIFICATION***
I have no intention of heading TOWARDS the storm and being on the east coast for it. However, in the days after it passes, or perhaps the next weekend, I'd like to head over there.

Thanks

I bought my metal detector just in time for this! I live in Southwest Florida and am looking forward to hunting the beaches in the days after. I'm interested to see what the impact is on Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach. We should get some wind and rain unless it moves further north than currently projected. We'll see what happens. Good luck!

Sidcane

Aug 14, 2017
Flagler county fl
Detector(s) used
Ace 250&400 just bought at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

***CLARIFICATION***

Thanks

I will be there...found 3 spanish coins and a silver cross last storm

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

***CLARIFICATION***

Thanks

By the next weekend it will be over. As soon as it's possible to hunt people will be out. I plan on being there as soon as possible after the storm if I still have a house.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up north here after Sandy, the road was closed for two weeks. No one could get to the beach unless they hiked 5 miles.

This ain't ""Up north"..... It's different here...... for now....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very seldom does stuff wash up - most of the time its uncovered on the treasure coast
usually need waters to come into shore at an angle to make cuts
seen times where water came straight in and just piled more sand on top

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
might want to call first, as of today Saturday: closed.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may try the ocean beaches here after it blows by.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very seldom does stuff wash up - most of the time its uncovered on the treasure coast
usually need waters to come into shore at an angle to make cuts
seen times where water came straight in and just piled more sand on top

Spot on, more times than not the storms have brought sand in rather than taken it off the areas we like to hunt the most.

I'm sure that sign will be blown away by the time the storm is done..
Besides can the government really even close public land legally?

They can and do.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it comes in at a 4-5 The road will be closed for days. If your not a local resident and can prove it you are not going to get past the roadblocks because of looting. And the answer to the above post, Yes, you can be arrested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions