UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
I think it's because they're so thin and light that you might not notice it dropping like you would a heavier coin.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say it's because more merc's were minted than previous dimes. 1916-1945 they were minted. In 1942 they minted 205 million of them. People were coming to US in droves and population was growing like crazy. More people - more lost money. People used to go to picnic groves for fun and leisure. That's my theory.. ;)

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I feel that the Merc came onto the American scene at a time when more people had more spendable income. Kids had pocket change as well. They also had a more relaxing and adventurous lifestyle. People became less careful with there pocket change. Most people in the past (before the Merc) carried their coins in a purse(small pouch). Maybe the proliferation of bluejeans had something to do with it. I have hunted Boy Scout camps that started in 1911/12, but the biggest number of dimes found have been Mercs.

It may even have allot to do with the cost of goods at that time. Things may have gone from costing just pennies and nickles, to things costing a dime.

Thanks to all those folks in our past (including some of us here) that lost their share of Mercs!

..........HH

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the last couple days I've been finding roosies and I got to thinking about your post. Maybe...the guys detecting before us had the older machines and passed over the small signals set off by the dimes and went for the bigger coins, thinking they were just trash or mineralization.

I've had a real lack of quarters in my hunts at this park with the exception of some newer clad but I'm poppin out dimes, both clad and silver from the late 50's through the 60's and 70's. No wheaties, some mid 60's memorials....1 clad quarter on the surface.

Was someone here and cherry picked the silver quarters?

This area has some of the worst mineralization I've encountered plus electric lines, making it a tough hunt. Probably been filled over at least once with a couple inches of crap.

Al

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
no mercs here. i'm lucky to find a silver anything in miami. wheaties arent all that common either.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'd say the amount of mintage plus the number of years the coin was minted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread