Needs advice how to upgrade a Garrett AT Pro Detector

aquarius 7

Apr 2, 2018
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO , WHITE 2 BOX DETECTOR and TITAN Dowsing Instrument
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a treasure hunting enthusiast from the Philippines for the past several years already.We have used several kinds of instruments from dowsing to electronics from notable brands like Garrett,Whites, etc. Of all the brands tested, I am pleased with the performance of the Garrett Master Hunter CX 1 (Two - Box System ), as it can detect deep buried objects, which is the norm here. So when my sister took a vacation here from New York several months ago, I requested her to buy a CX 1 for me. Unfortunately, she sent me this Garrett AT Pro, that to my dismay, after months of use can only detect objects of few inches only. I am appealling for some advice from fellow enthusiast to some means,if ever there is any, to remedy this .Thanks for the help.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
Not sure what you are expecting. The AT Pro only goes down approx 12", maybe a little more, the type of soil mineralization will affect that too. With all other variables accounted for, you may need to contact Garrett. There are aftermarket coils that some say will improve depth but I've not tried one yet.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bigger coils can equal deeper targets, but the AT Pro is not designed
for the type of depth you're getting with the 2-box machines.

You might contact one of the site sponsors and see if they can
offer a larger coil. Suggest Bart at BigBoysHobbies: https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy the biggest coil you can buy for it . zero discriminate and dig .
Or buy a better machine. you're driving a mini van but wanting a corvette..

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people sadly dont know how to use an at pro if you want to dig more than a foot for a penny or clad dime than look at other machines a lot of the newer one are being returned for problems just make sure you get the right one for your ground and hunting conditions

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a lot of great stuff with an ATPro in S.C. dirt and dry beach.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few inches doesn't describe what my at pro is capable of either.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found hundreds of civil war relics with an ace 250 and hear good things about the A.T . most of it's in the operator not the machine unless you put out the big bucks.is the machine the o.p is looking for even made anymore ? looks like something from the 1990s

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found lots of gold silver a little bit of everything with my AT over the years just look at todays finds.Too many people watch youtube mines better than yours its the best on the planet is ignorant . Ground conditions iron mineralization all play a part different tools in your tool box for different jobs Listen to the people who have detected for 10 years or more......

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know a couple of guys that use the AT Pro and together they find more coins and interesting things than most of us can think about. My wife uses the AT Pro and usually out hunts me even though I supposedly have the better detector. When the debris and trash is thick she puts on the smaller coil and always manages to find things. It's not so much the detector but the operator and the location. I have noticed some of the best finds have been found with the AT Pro. Is it the best detector? I don't think so but it works well enough to get the goods.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
I know a couple of guys that use the AT Pro and together they find more coins and interesting things than most of us can think about. My wife uses the AT Pro and usually out hunts me even though I supposedly have the better detector. When the debris and trash is thick she puts on the smaller coil and always manages to find things. It's not so much the detector but the operator and the location. I have noticed some of the best finds have been found with the AT Pro. Is it the best detector? I don't think so but it works well enough to get the goods.
Technology means a lot but generally an old [experienced] guy with an old detector will out hunt a new guy with a new detector...

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing you do to the ATpro will compare to your box detector...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread