Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic from 7 am today of the Delaware Beach. Raining there from a band now, maybe tomorrow would be a better day to venture out. IMG_0776.JPG

The entire state of Delaware is under a coastal flood advisory.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's amazing to see Thanks for the pics

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a person standing on the water end of the walkway over the dunes! Hard to see but there. IMG_0777.JPG Compare to the first pic.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the pics Smokey. I think saturday should be the day - provided they allow folks on the beach. I can't get there until sunday.

Good luck and please keep us updated. If Coin Beach looks like a bust, I might just stay home and hunt fossils; our NE winds should have removed some sand (it couldn't be much worse than it was...).

Here is a pic of the muddy Chesapeake Bay at 1130 today in the middle of our 7 hour power failure. Pic taken at the site of the Dares Wharf, a 1000' steamship wharf destroyed by a hurricane for the umpteenth time in 1935 and not rebuilt since roads replaced river and Bay landings by then

IMG_1319.jpg

Pic was taken standing at the top of a cliff about 50' high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Delaware Coast - no road closures, no dunes removed, rain ending, tide is going out now and next low is at 4 am. It did NOT overwash the dunes where the coins are.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Delaware Coast - no road closures, no dunes removed, rain ending, tide is going out now and next low is at 4 am. It did NOT overwash the dunes where the coins are.

Delaware Seashore State Park opens at 8 am and closes at sunset. Its hard to know if the low tide will make much difference - but I would want to be there when it opens and stay to hunt the late afternoon low tide.

The pics don't show water up near the snow fencing. If that is as high as it got, is there any point to hunting the dry sand?

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honest answer, probably not. I'll probably stay home or go to a local water area. Plus at the bridge where you see the pic, that's all dredged sand from within the inlet itself. The put millions of tons there after Sandy and lots of it is still there.

It is a very tough place to hunt.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also leaning against making the trip. It doesn't look like enough of a cut - and the pic shows nothing up in the dry sand part of the beach. In the old days, the best cuts took out the sand all the way to the snow fence.

It might be more productive to walk my fossil beach and see if the NE winds took away some of this sand. I can do that without driving anywhere.

This might be an example of a hurricane that is not as good as a prolonged Nor'easter.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it takes out some of the snow fence, it will be finding scraps left over from Sandy. There has been no ocean churner since then, just an odd find here and there.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very tired for cleaning four fish tanks. Tippy is sleeping on my chair, while I am Last.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't get to Coin Beach because of a wedding of family friends. But I'm glad I went to the reception. It was held at the first estate in the state of Maryland, established five months after the state came to be in 1634. I don't believe the present building dates to 1634 when it was called Trinity Manor but the present manor house dates before the CW and was used as a safe house to hide Confederate prisoners who escaped Point Lookout prisoner camp. The escaped Confederates were hidden in "priest holes" in basement tunnels and taken across the Potomac R to VA. The original Trinity manor house was plundered by the British during the Revolution. I hope we get several years notice when our daughter decides to marry her BF because that is how long it is booked.

When we arrived, the owner, a former president of St. Mary's College, was parking cars. I stopped and exchanged greetings that included my asking if she had found the buried treasure yet. That's when I learned that the manor house was also a bank and a buy station for oysters in the 1800's. I'd love to dig here, but the time was not right to broach that topic.

Woodlawn

Attachments

• IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard a lot of folks went to Coin Beach and most got diddly squat. Time to clean the cat box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread