63SSRagtop

Greenie
Aug 31, 2019
Oak Harbor, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody have any of the old 60’s and 70’s magazines by Long John Latham? I mentioned metal detecting one day to my aunt, who had a massive stack of these from her mother after she’d passed.. needless to say I brought them all with me...

Been going through them reading the articles of lore that may long have since, been lost.. fascinating stories, some you can tell may have been embellished myth but others you can still see the specific areas on google earth..

One of the articles is a compelling story of a 1852 $50 gold slug lost in a farmers field and although a highway had been renamed I’ve located the field, which to this day is still a farmers field...now I gotta get to California lol

2B944D25-9303-4B96-85DE-C309839F5BBE.jpeg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i did like those old treasure magazines well you are not far from Calif. Go to it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my treasure lost and treasure found I have boxes and boxes of them and still reread them they are next to all my old Carcraft and Hot Rod mags lots of leads and good stories. If you see a guy with a metal detector hitch hiking pick me up lol

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ragtop: IMG_0963.JPG IMG_0963.JPG IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0966.JPG It appears your subject matter is nicer looking then MINE LOL

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Treasure mags mostly hype to sell them. TP

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A majority of the stories in those mags was pure fiction. Some based on real historical events, some based on long-standing (but ultimately false) legend, some made from whole cloth. Seek major backup, like actual newspaper articles from the event.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would rather buy old magazines like that, than subscribe to these new magazines that have gone completely digital. To me, digital is not a magazine. I like to read them on my deck while I'm cooking, in the car traveling on a vacation, or in my easy chair. Dont care to do that on a computer !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep ! I had all but a Small few of Both True Treasure & Long John Lathem's Treasure World.

I recently sent them over with my Nephew to do with as he wants

OP
OP

63SSRagtop

Greenie
Aug 31, 2019
Oak Harbor, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah, you can definitely tell that some of the stories are embellished but some of them seem like they could be legit, one thing i do know, today's detectors are much better than they were in the 60's... I've been going through them all and indexing them by state so one day when i can get there i can go poke around and see what i can see... I frequent california, florida and virginia.. so one of these days.. with any luck, i'll post the article with the find :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread