Anyone here into seperating Gold from circut boards ?

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of work lot for little gain.....if its about getting the gold buy bullion its cheaper and easier. If its for a hobby for tinkering around I see the appeal.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
If you really want to learn, go to the Gold Refining Forum. The moderators and experiences members will demand you study. Once you demonstrate a willingness to learn, you will get an abundance of help.

Time for more coffee.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've tons of old computer parts laying around, and I took a serious look at the methods and issues - somewhat toxic.

Them parts are still laying arounnd....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently saw a video on it and decided I was NOT going to do that.

I may smelt some sinkers into lead bars and sell them but even that is somewhat dangerous, even when done outside.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric acid and Aqua reagia dangerous, Also HS gas, very dangerous and can be smelled all over your neighborhood at ppm levels.
Not worth it unless you are a chemist with a fume hood and quiet neighbors.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks much guys

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did it with an electrical engineer friend who had old military equipment that had thick gold plated connectors and silver wire. That was fun and we turned $1500 in a week I got $500 for helping bust the stuff open and cut the good pieces out. It really takes it out of your hands and tools and I wouldn't have tried to refine more modern scrap due to the very low concentrations of pm s. That said its an ecological nightmare and the waste is hard to get rid of properly.
My godfather made a fortune buying up the surplus military radio communications equipment after WW2 and refining it (when gold was $20/ oz or less!) . My father remembers going into his workshop and seeing stacks of black bricks. My godfather rubbed the corner of one on the concrete for him revealing that it was a gold bar dipped in pitch or painted black! I'd love to md that location. They don't build them like they used to since they weren't too worried about using too much PM since the war was an all out effort. It's fun to try but even if you value your time under minimum wage the chemicals and tools etc will set you back and you'll have a mess to clean up at the end with not much to show for it other than some fancy gold foil 1-3 nanometers thick. It is a neat science experiment type thing if your expectations are low.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thinking about getting into it.
I have been experimenting with a micro sand blaster, I like the results better than using the acid on the boards.
the sand has gold, copper and solder along with plastic, epoxy coating and some fiberglass. This is first treated with water, the plastic and epoxy floats on the top of the settling tank and is skimmed off. Then the sand is treated with nitric acid to remove the copper and solder, what remains is sand and gold which gets treated with cyanide.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi My local county has cost free E-Waste locations for recycling and not allowed to burn circuit boards or insulated wire . T'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread