Is it legal to hunt on Victoria Island, Canada?

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went there on a cruise recently and man, there is tons of parkland with open space. All the people going to the gold rush used this island as a staging area. I was drooling as our tour bus passed by all this open park land with nothing but low weeds everywhere. Anyone detect this or know what the rules in Canada are? Just curious, don't think I would ever get a chance since the average hotel room is $300-800 per night. We were on the cruise ship so didn't have that issue.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as I read this i started to chuckle.

Im born and Raised Victoria boy on Vancouver island, Canada.

Its quite nice here, lots of parks, but we don't really have much in the way of virgin grounds anymore.
A few of our locals are FT retired detectorists. Over the past 5 years Ive been watching the decline of finds.
Not to say that we don't still have cool finds show (Like last week a guy pulled a 1854 5$ gold coin in a very
well known park that we have all hit hard but they have made a steady decline. We have quite a strong community
and are always thinking of new places to go or try. Northern island is way more rich with finds. We had a lot
of Chinese labourers and workers doing our Railway and tons of logging. If you ever make it back and want to
hit somewhere, I'd be more than happy to take you around.

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Thanks! Must be some great finds on that island with all the gold rush era stuff going on.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lower island has been Very developed. Lots of older parks, but minimal gold rush stuff down here. Tourist, Chinese laborers for the railroads, the very-very odd Spanish (and I mean very odd), some older American and some trade stuff. BUT - and this is a big "BUT" - It's been very detected and landscaped here in Victoria. Up island (Duncan, Cowichan, Nanaimo, Courtney, Comox, Port Alberni) has a lot more open grounds to detect. I don't want to say there isn't anything in Vic, but having detected the past 7 years here and being close in the community, I can tell you its quite dry. Still finds, but its been hit hard and we don't have CRAZY old history in abundance here. Offer still stands

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread