Best value from finds?

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm curious...I saw a T'neter on here found a 6.5g 14k gold ring. On sale at Macy's is a 6mm 14k band (similar but they don't list weight) on sale for $862.50 regular $1,150.00. Melt, the 6.5 g ring is only worth $183.22. So...What do you do with your rings? Do you try to sell them at a discount to private buyers? Although selling for melt give a fair price on gold (yet you're losing out on the alloy) still seems...not right.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have kept all of mine. There always has been a huge markup in the jewelry market. If you want the best price, a site like Ebay may do it for you. Selling to one of those gold dealers, you'll get spot - or less.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't sell anything, jewelry or otherwise. My wife and kids can worry about that someday. I worked to hard to find it, and enjoy looking at all of my finds in my display cases. Now if I needed the extra money, that's another story, but I don't.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take my found gold to a jeweler twice a year. Because they have dealt with me for more than 15-years, I get 97% of the spot price on gold weight. There have been three rings with stones that have brought better prices than melt, but unless you sell at swap meets or online, 80-90 percent of melt value is probably the best you'll do. :occasion14:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Terry above said, look and you will find buyers at 95-97% of spot price of gold. Several precious mining refineries will give 95% and above, but most will not deal with single ring at a time or give best price only doing 1 ring at a time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread