Hi, I just joined

Pogo

Oct 19, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I'm from Northern Indiana. I haven't been metal detecting much for a few years. I used to be in it very heavily back in the 1970s.

I've got a Whites MXT, and a Whites 6000 Di Pro, and a Whites 6000D Hip Mount. I found a lot of silver coins and gold rings years ago. It sorta slowed down finding the good stuff so I sort of put my detectors away and haven't hunted much for a while.

I decided I'd get them out and give it a try again. My favorite hunting places used to be old city parks, school playgrounds, and ball fields.

What kind of hot spots are you guys finding goodies in nowadays?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Pogo

it's cool that your getting intrested again.

Jeff

75_stingray

Oct 4, 2006
Charleston
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Vaquero
How are you doing my friend!

Hopefully one day soon you can make it down to my neck of the woods and let us fill your pockets with grape shot and miniballs(sp).

Good to see you Pogo!

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
make a few trips a yr to no. ind. husdand from ft. wayne. welcome and happy hunting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back into the hobby and the forum also.

Garrett has a fine coin hunting book out called, Sucessful Coin Hunting. In it he gives spots to hunt that you'd probable never think about.

I mainly hunt the beaches now since thats where more of the gold is located.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Same hot spots that were in the 70's are the same today. They just are very thin with good finds or you have to find the areas that have been overlooked.

Of coarse there is nothing better than private property with an 1800's home on it. Like shooting fish in a barrel. ;D

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
ZZZ - Gold Star.jpg ZZZ - Welcome.gif ZZZ - Gold Star.jpg

Attachments

• ZZZ - Gold Star.jpg
    ZZZ - Gold Star.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 124
  • ZZZ - Welcome.gif
    ZZZ - Welcome.gif
    81.9 KB · Views: 177

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Welcome back Pogo. Nice to see that you have dusted off the machines and are ready to go. I am relatively new to the hobby and only started this past June 07. I would say the same tot lots and fields/playgrounds that you hit before. Mostly clad with the occassional piece of jewlery. I do these and beaches with the M6. Nice to have you back.
HH Roy

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back. It's never to late to have fun!! I hear you Mirage, I'll be hitting some sites from the late 1700's this weekend. I'm already drooling.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello Pogo and glad to see your back into d'ting.... I am new..but hopefully will be old hat at it soon enough... enjoy and do post some of your finds...

Booty

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Pogo,

I wouldn't call the parks of yesteryear hot spots, but they still produce some old coins that others went past.

I was like you, detected back in the early 80's, got out of it for quite some time, and just started back up this year. I definately noticed the difference in what I used to find to what I find now. Not so many quarters, seems those were cherry picked. But dimes...now I can pick those out seems every park I go to.

I dusted off an old Whites' 3000....doesnt disc anymore but still detects...but bought a used 6000d series 2. I loved the 6000di pro I used to have. Sorry I sold it. I'd hang on to that baby if I were you.

Mirage is correct...try out those old home sites. That's the gold mines these days. It's gonna be those of us that put in more research now that are gonna kick up any decent finds, not the obvious parks that have been hit over and over...but again...I dont think a park is ever totally cleaned out.
Al

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Pogo,

Not much has changed concerning the places to detect. But the detectors have changed a ton. Gone are the heavy ill balanced machines of the 1970s. Today the hobby has balanced feather weight detectors,digital readouts, audio ID and lots more. Welcome back! Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread