Keto diet and detecting savin my life and whatnot
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree42Likes
  • 18 Post By DiggityDiggity
  • 5 Post By Jim in Idaho
  • 1 Post By chub
  • 1 Post By DiggityDiggity
  • 1 Post By Trezurehunter
  • 1 Post By Hillbilly Prince
  • 5 Post By Jim in Idaho
  • 3 Post By Mine Shaft
  • 1 Post By A2coins
  • 4 Post By CreakyDigger
  • 2 Post By BillA

Thread: Keto diet and detecting savin my life and whatnot

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2013
    Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
    543 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Keto diet and detecting savin my life and whatnot

I've struggled with weight gain all my life. In February, I weighed in at a staggering 300lbs. I could barely tie my shoes without having to hold my breath because of my gut getting in the way. My knees were almost permanently hurting. My back was shot. I popped ibuprophen 3x a day just to feel no pain.

I finally told myself enough is enough. I hopped on the keto train as a desperate move to change my habits and to back myself away from my pre-diabetic state. Little did I know that it would totally change my life... I just weighed in this afternoon and I'm down 62 lbs. It was such a surreal feeling seeing that scale read in the 230's again. I haven't been in the 230's in probably 10 years.

Last summer, I was only able to go out detecting for an hour or so before my knees would just crumble. Now I'm able to be out for 6 to 7 hours with no pain. I detect almost every day to give me my "exercise." My knees feel great. My back feels great...and I'm no longer pre-diabetic per my last doctor's visit.

I just wanted to share my story with all my fellow over-weighters. If you're fed up with being overweight, give keto a try! It's not for everyone but man does it work... Cheers all ~ Diggz

us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3787 times
    Prospecting
    I've been doing Keto since February. I'm at 175...lightest I've been in 30 years. I dropped 30lbs. Weight wasn't a big issue with me, but finding out I was pre-diabetic was a surprise. Feel great now.
    Jim

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    2001 times
    Nice! can I ask your age(s)?

Thanks
    Chub
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
    543 times
    Great work, Jim. Being prediabetic scared me straight for sure. The look on my doctor's face when she read the blood tests after keto was priceless.

Chub... I'm in my 30s
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3787 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    Nice! can I ask your age(s)?

Thanks
    Chub
    I'll be 71 in December.
    J

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    12690 times
    That is great Watch out using ibuprofen for pain relief if you have any heart issues.
    My brother in law has diabetes and is a big guy. Loves to eat, but was active. He struggled with controlling blood sugar for years. Finally a doc tells him he has to watch carbohydrates. None had ever mentioned this.
    He got one of those little books which lists carbohydrates,calories, fats and started splitting carbs evenly throughout meals. The weight is falling off and his blood sugar is finally under control. He is 75.
    Have to look into this keto diet-curious how it works.
    A2coins likes this.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    3787 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Prince View Post
    That is great Watch out using ibuprofen for pain relief if you have any heart issues.
    My brother in law has diabetes and is a big guy. Loves to eat, but was active. He struggled with controlling blood sugar for years. Finally a doc tells him he has to watch carbohydrates. None had ever mentioned this.
    He got one of those little books which lists carbohydrates,calories, fats and started splitting carbs evenly throughout meals. The weight is falling off and his blood sugar is finally under control. He is 75.
    Have to look into this keto diet-curious how it works.
    From what I've read, few people on the Keto diet actually get their liver into ketosis. The idea of Keto is to get your liver into ketosis, and have it start burning fat for energy, rather than carbs. But, in actuality, most people never make ketosis. So, the BIG benefit of the diet is to radically cut your carb intake. There are two schools of thought on heart disease. The old guys (docs) claim that cholesterol is the big evil. We've been operating on that assumption for almost 40 years. Cut meat, cut fat, etc. That lead to much higher levels of carb intake, without making much of an impact on heart disease. It also led to huge numbers of people on statins...trying to chemically alter the body's production of cholesterol. Some docs think that increase in stain use may be the reason for the large increase in brain function (Alzheimers). More than 30 million people take statins in the US. The other school of thought is that insulin tolerance is the reason for heart disease. The younger docs mostly follow this theory. in most heart attack deaths it has been determined that the victim was either diabetic, or pre-diabetic. This is the theory I'm operating under. I quit the statins after a couple of months. I'm still taking a blood thinner, however. I severely limit my carb intake...no bread, potatoes, sugar, cookies, etc. The only carbs I get are from natural foods, like nuts, berries, veggies etc. One thing I noticed on this diet is that my appetite has been reduced about 50%, I simply don't feel as hungry all the time, like I did before. I also eat more vegetables than before.
    Because of the blood thinner, I can't use ibuprofen.
    Jim

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2017
    Fontana, California
    NA
    891 times
    Prospecting
    Going to make the Keto cheesy taco skillet tonight lol.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    42183 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Congrats what's keto
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

us
    Jul 2019
    Binghamton NY
    White's Spectra v3
    465 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hey, good for you...I just started keto on Monday...I'm down 10 pds. I eat 2 meals and have them at 1 pm and 6 pm, and restrict food to meats, fish, eggs, and veggies that grow above ground. No alcohol, only water and coffee. Half hour walk first thing in the morning. Sleeping better already. I have about 70 more pounds to lose. If you look at older books published before the 1950's, they pretty much all recommend a carbohydrate-restricted diet for weight loss. If you can get ahold of a copy of Strong Medicine, by Blake F. Donaldson, (1962) it lays it out pretty plainly.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3963 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Been off and on Keto since March, dropped 25lbs.
    I cut out grains and starch, pretty much just meat and some veg and light on the fruit.

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    2932 times
    first exposed to carb limitation/elimination in the '60s with Atkins
    JiI is correct, few get their body into ketosis - but the carb reduction is key
    change your diet
    CreakyDigger and Jim in Idaho like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox / XP Deus
    10149 times
    Just shed 20 lbs. went from 199.8 to 179.8 lbs. I’m watching what I eat and try not to exceed the 1400 calories per day limit. I’m not always successful but it’s working. Good luck to everyone.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links