Keto diet and detecting savin my life and whatnot

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've struggled with weight gain all my life. In February, I weighed in at a staggering 300lbs. I could barely tie my shoes without having to hold my breath because of my gut getting in the way. My knees were almost permanently hurting. My back was shot. I popped ibuprophen 3x a day just to feel no pain.

I finally told myself enough is enough. I hopped on the keto train as a desperate move to change my habits and to back myself away from my pre-diabetic state. Little did I know that it would totally change my life... I just weighed in this afternoon and I'm down 62 lbs. It was such a surreal feeling seeing that scale read in the 230's again. I haven't been in the 230's in probably 10 years.

Last summer, I was only able to go out detecting for an hour or so before my knees would just crumble. Now I'm able to be out for 6 to 7 hours with no pain. I detect almost every day to give me my "exercise." My knees feel great. My back feels great...and I'm no longer pre-diabetic per my last doctor's visit.

I just wanted to share my story with all my fellow over-weighters. If you're fed up with being overweight, give keto a try! It's not for everyone but man does it work... Cheers all ~ Diggz

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been doing Keto since February. I'm at 175...lightest I've been in 30 years. I dropped 30lbs. Weight wasn't a big issue with me, but finding out I was pre-diabetic was a surprise. Feel great now.
Jim

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! can I ask your age(s)?

Thanks
Chub

OP
OP
DiggityDiggity

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work, Jim. Being prediabetic scared me straight for sure. The look on my doctor's face when she read the blood tests after keto was priceless.

Chub... I'm in my 30s

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great :) Watch out using ibuprofen for pain relief if you have any heart issues.
My brother in law has diabetes and is a big guy. Loves to eat, but was active. He struggled with controlling blood sugar for years. Finally a doc tells him he has to watch carbohydrates. None had ever mentioned this.
He got one of those little books which lists carbohydrates,calories, fats and started splitting carbs evenly throughout meals. The weight is falling off and his blood sugar is finally under control. He is 75.
Have to look into this keto diet-curious how it works.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is great :) Watch out using ibuprofen for pain relief if you have any heart issues.
My brother in law has diabetes and is a big guy. Loves to eat, but was active. He struggled with controlling blood sugar for years. Finally a doc tells him he has to watch carbohydrates. None had ever mentioned this.
He got one of those little books which lists carbohydrates,calories, fats and started splitting carbs evenly throughout meals. The weight is falling off and his blood sugar is finally under control. He is 75.
Have to look into this keto diet-curious how it works.

From what I've read, few people on the Keto diet actually get their liver into ketosis. The idea of Keto is to get your liver into ketosis, and have it start burning fat for energy, rather than carbs. But, in actuality, most people never make ketosis. So, the BIG benefit of the diet is to radically cut your carb intake. There are two schools of thought on heart disease. The old guys (docs) claim that cholesterol is the big evil. We've been operating on that assumption for almost 40 years. Cut meat, cut fat, etc. That lead to much higher levels of carb intake, without making much of an impact on heart disease. It also led to huge numbers of people on statins...trying to chemically alter the body's production of cholesterol. Some docs think that increase in stain use may be the reason for the large increase in brain function (Alzheimers). More than 30 million people take statins in the US. The other school of thought is that insulin tolerance is the reason for heart disease. The younger docs mostly follow this theory. in most heart attack deaths it has been determined that the victim was either diabetic, or pre-diabetic. This is the theory I'm operating under. I quit the statins after a couple of months. I'm still taking a blood thinner, however. I severely limit my carb intake...no bread, potatoes, sugar, cookies, etc. The only carbs I get are from natural foods, like nuts, berries, veggies etc. One thing I noticed on this diet is that my appetite has been reduced about 50%, I simply don't feel as hungry all the time, like I did before. I also eat more vegetables than before.
Because of the blood thinner, I can't use ibuprofen.
Jim

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, good for you...I just started keto on Monday...I'm down 10 pds. I eat 2 meals and have them at 1 pm and 6 pm, and restrict food to meats, fish, eggs, and veggies that grow above ground. No alcohol, only water and coffee. Half hour walk first thing in the morning. Sleeping better already. I have about 70 more pounds to lose. If you look at older books published before the 1950's, they pretty much all recommend a carbohydrate-restricted diet for weight loss. If you can get ahold of a copy of Strong Medicine, by Blake F. Donaldson, (1962) it lays it out pretty plainly.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Been off and on Keto since March, dropped 25lbs.
I cut out grains and starch, pretty much just meat and some veg and light on the fruit.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
first exposed to carb limitation/elimination in the '60s with Atkins
JiI is correct, few get their body into ketosis - but the carb reduction is key
change your diet

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Just shed 20 lbs. went from 199.8 to 179.8 lbs. I’m watching what I eat and try not to exceed the 1400 calories per day limit. I’m not always successful but it’s working. Good luck to everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread