Church Permission Question

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently received permission to MD at a church which dates back to the early 20th century but have been having a hard time getting in contact with them since. I haven't actually been able to talk to anyone in person or by phone since their office hours are limited but I did get an email last week stating the following:

"The Trustees have agreed to allow you to use your metal detector on the west side of the sanctuary. You will need to be careful in the garden areas. The Trustees also said you can keep what you find but would appreciate it if we could see what you find."

This is the only contact that I've had with them so far despite a couple of phone calls (no messages since they don't have voicemail) and a response to the above email thanking them for the opportunity and asking about what days/times might be best. I obviously don't want to show up on a Sunday morning and interfere with worship so I was hoping to get over there on a Friday morning. I never see anyone there and the door always seems to be locked so I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I just wait for an email response back or do you think it would be okay to show up?

Just a note, I'm still really new at all of this and this is actually my first permission so I'm not that familiar with the etiquette of it all. Thanks for any assistance.

Gareth

OP
OP
J

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course. As soon as I post this I got an email back from the church. I guess I just need to be more patient.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
You received permission so go and hurt the site. No need for any more discussion. The hours of services are usually posted. Obviously you don't go during those times. Its a good permission so go as oft as you need to cover the site. Your next communication with the church should be to let them know you detected the site and what you found. A nice thing to do would be to donate the modern clad you found to the church. Maybe even add a little of your own money to it with there knowledge. A good relationship could open other doors for detecting. Good luck!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck have the email handy in case anyone questions you being there

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep and stay out of their cemetery. Some folks get riled up.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The priest at the large church I hunted volunteered a cemetery hunt, I was surprised. I politely declined.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread