Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was at a family get together a year ago, the kind where you see relatives you haven't seen in several years. We have had various members that have detected over the years and some knew that I have been at it a lot. So we were talking about how far detectors had come and what I had now. A cousin heard what we were talking about and told me how her husband had bought the very best detector out there. I was curious as to what he had and so found him and asked. He was quick to proudly tell me that he had the top of the line detector that was the very best out there and that he didn't dig any trash with it. Then he told me that he had an XP Deus and proceeded to tell me what it could do. After he got through, I smiled and told him that I too had one and really liked it but for some reason, I still managed to dig a lot of trash.

Anyways, he ended up taking it to my grandfather's old place to show us how awesome his was. I already knew what to expect there, the sheer volume of trash was crazy, especially the beer can slaw etc. After a dozen of nothing but trash digs, he loaded up and left. There are still good targets there to find but you just had to understand that you are going to dig some trash no matter what. So recently I saw my cousin again and found out that the detector was gathering dust as he had tired of digging so much trash for so few coins etc. So, this is exactly what happens to so many people who get the detecting bug but now own detectors that haven't been used in years. A lot of ignorance and a lot of inexperience leads to a lot of disappointment. If he hadn't been so arrogant, I would have tried to help him but he had quickly let me know that he didn't need any. Now, I can cut down some on how much trash I dig but in some places, I have to dig it to find the good stuff. Some day we may be able to actually see what it is that we have located but not yet. DL

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post. Mine does not gather dust. I avoid modern sites, and hence the trash that goes with them. I even found four pieces of 18th century ship's plating in brass at the site of a known shipwreck this week (itsy bitsy ones). They sounded EXACTLY like pulltabs! I only got 1 pulltab.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come up to Michigan, I have personally removed every pulltab in the State! Actually, I should say from a six foot by six foot area but I'm working on the rest...

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember some years ago, Whites metal detectors ran a commercial on TV, and on it the guy on his first day out with a detector stated, "and I found all the good stuff" which showed silver coins etc. When some people expect just that, and "that" does not happen, you can perhaps get some really pretty good deals on some dusty detectors.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember some years ago, Whites metal detectors ran a commercial on TV, and on it the guy on his first day out with a detector stated, "and I found all the good stuff" which showed silver coins etc. When some people expect just that, and "that" does not happen, you can perhaps get some really pretty good deals on some dusty detectors.

I was detecting in the front yard of a permission when the lady next door came out and asked me if I wanted to buy a detector. it was still in the box, a cheap $100 one bought at a big name store and she wanted $25 for it. I forked the money over and gave it to my two young grandsons. I usually keep a 5 gallon bucket for my trash in the back of the truck, it serves to answer a lot of questions. it also reminds some of why they quit detecting. I also will show them how a pull tab can hit just like a gold ring.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprailroad, on day 3 detecting my special Civil War site, we first started finding relics. The first two days were with junk iron and modern fired bullets. We rarely dig trash there anymore. Only the good stuff. Of course the reason is it's so off the beaten path no one in their right mind would look there!

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what one of my boys says about his Tinder dates.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit two side by side barber dimes, up on a hill away from where everyone was digging. You have too think like the person who wants to get away from the crowd

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still scratch my head at some finds - like the Civil War button in my front lawn, found a few digs AFTER we got the aluminum cans out. Like what was that doing there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread