Be careful

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got done reading the Honorable mention forum about all the lost rings returned. I have returned many in my 30+ years of detecting too. It's the right thing to do but let me tell you a story:

In 2001 a couple and my wife and I went to South Beach Fl for a few days. I took 2 detectors and some sand scoops. The husband wanted to go hunting with me so I loaned him a detector and sand scoop. I did a quick "here is how you use it" and let him go. About an hr later I see him running towards me waving his hand and yelling something. When he got to me and calmed down he showed me a championship ring from a famous football player. (I won't even print his name and you will soon know why.

I told him you need to return it to him even if it's worth thousands and he reluctantly agreed. When he got home he tried to contact the player for 3 months with nothing but dead ends. No one would talk to him or seemed to believe him. He finally took it to a pawn shop where the owner said he didn't have enough cash to offer and gave him an auction house card to call.

He called the auction house and they sent a guy to come look at it. They asked where he bought it from and asked for a receipt. He told them he found it on the beach. They said they would get back to him and left. About 3 days later the police show up and took him down town for questioning. Seems the ring was stolen from a hotel room in Miami and they were looking at him as a suspect.

He got a lawyer which cost him a bundle and after a few weeks he proved he was in another city when the ring was stolen. They then charged him with receiving stolen goods. I went to his trial as a witness and said he found it on the beach but he had a record from when he was young of stealing from a store so they found him guilty. He got 3 yrs probation, a $2000 fine and 60 hrs of community service and another mark on his record.

Needless to say he doesn't detect anymore. So be careful what you claim to find. Class rings are usually ok but wedding bands and diamond rings could be stolen goods. What starts out as a good deed may wind up biting you in the butt.....

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. The Giants super bowl ring? Heard about it when I told about a similar arrest of a guy in our club about 25 years ago. He found the women's class ring at a fairgrounds and arranged to return it. When he got there at the agreed upon time, he was arrested. The woman claimed her house was broken into and the ring was among the things stolen. I went to the trial along with a couple of others from the club and he was acquitted - but it cost him lawyer's fees. When we left the courthouse, we saw the woman smooching with the arresting officer in the parking lot. We figured it was an insurance scam. I don't return class rings. Nothing worse than to be falsely accused - unless it is to be convicted on a false accusation.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately some in law enforcement aren't looking for the truth, they are looking for what can be "proven" in court, the truth be damned. It ain't like the tv shows.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fortunately, I have never found a ring with anyone's name in it!

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats terrible you try to be the good guy and honest the system doesnt see it that way, so sorry to hear that . I could say alot more just dont want to get banned

OP
OP
Billieg

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats terrible you try to be the good guy and honest the system doesnt see it that way, so sorry to hear that . I could say alot more just dont want to get banned

Ya, I could say a lot more too. the judge didn't want to hear my story as to he used my detector and found it on the beach. Right from the get go it was like the police found their man and were going to nail him. They kept asking him to say who he got it from when he got it on the beach so the judge got all upset. A kangaroo court if ever I saw one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread