Eastern equine encephalitis, confirmed in Carbon, Erie and Monroe counties of PA

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From wire services / Published: September 23, 2019

000aaa.jpg

The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and Health on Saturday warned Pennsylvanians to take precautionary measures against mosquito bites for themselves and their animals – specifically horses – as the rare mosquito-transmitted viral infection Eastern equine encephalitis has been confirmed in Carbon, Erie and Monroe counties.

Eastern equine encephalitis is a virus carried by birds. If a mosquito bites an infected bird, it can then transmit the potentially fatal virus to humans, horses and other birds. Because of the high mortality rate in horses and humans, Eastern equine encephalitis is regarded as one of the most serious mosquito-borne diseases in the United States.

Eastern equine encephalitis, or Triple E, kills three of every 10 people who get it and leaves most survivors with brain damage, according to state officials.

Through mid-September, there have been 18 cases reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from across the country in 2019, with the majority of the cases in northeastern or mid-Atlantic states. Several cases have been fatal.

When outdoors, people can avoid mosquito bites by properly and consistently using DEET-containing insect repellents and covering exposed skin with lightweight clothing. To keep mosquitoes from entering a home, make sure window and door screens are in place and are in good condition.

Homeowners should take steps to eliminate standing water around their property to reduce mosquito populations.
The symptoms of Eastern equine encephalitis are high fever (103 to 106 degrees), a stiff neck, headache and lack of energy.

hese symptoms typically show up three to 10 days after being bitten by an infected mosquito. Inflammation and swelling of the brain, called encephalitis, can develop. The disease gets worse quickly, and some patients could end up in a coma within a week. This disease can also be fatal, as three out of every 10 people who get the disease die from it.

For information, visit https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Last edited:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have it here in Massachusetts. It makes Lyme disease sound like a walk in the park.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
In Mexico City, Dec, 1995, I was reading one day, and woke up six days later in ABC hospital. They have great doctors and had no idea what my problem was. But, they did know I had brain swelling and treated me for that. I thought for years I escaped brain damage, but a couple years ago, I mentioned a child hood friend in a one room grade school, that I hadn't seen her since primary school, till 1952. My brother got real silent for quite a while, then said, "She was in high school with you for three years."

I dug out my HS year book, and she sure was there. I was president of FFA and she was a farm girl, so yes, we knew each other in high school. that was eerie to completely lose an old acquaintance like that.

I still remember a lot of math formulas and so forth. I did thinking, then mentioned I had not seen my uncle, who was an Army colonel also since 1952 when he came back from Korea. My brother said he used to stop by every year or two to see our dad. I do not know for sure I saw him, but it certainly is possible. So, I must assume he also was lost from my memory. Eerie! The time period was the same from 1952 till current time.

I was not diagnosed with encephalitis by ABC. They sent me to our state university hospitals to a neurologist of world renown. He asked questions, said I gotta' think, I'll be back in a few minutes. When he came back, he said it matches encephalitis, as far as time spent in DF before it showed up, plus all symtoms.

I have no idea what else was lost. I remember crushes and things like that. I guess you don't know what is lost, so I probably can't figure it out, which may be a good thing.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wont be long before there every where

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EEE infected skeeters have been found in 21 Connecticut towns. 2 deaths. The schools have to schedule their sports to end before dusk. I've been propane fogging around the yard..... but thinking of going to a quad 50......

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DEET is not as effective as Permethrin. Also, it is not as safe to you. It doesn't kill mosquitoes, it just hopes to confuse their navigation; and when they're ravenous that just doesn't work!

With Permethrin, they may land, but they don't bite, and actually die shortly after contact.

Permethrin is the best preventative before you get bit. Mosquitoes, ticks, spiders, chiggers, they all die quickly from exposure to Permethrin.

Oh, and it's odorless and doesn't melt plastic like DEET. And lasts for a week or so on clothes. I spray it on my hair too and it is good for several hours, but hair contact will break down the chemical structure and so you need to reapply. Skin is much faster, so don't use it there. Best is a Permethrin sprayed net if things get bad.

Things are getting rough out there; it's best to take no chances.

You can also spray your yard or treat it with area granules which can last months.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions