Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tommy,
Nugget hunters need a coil cover other wise the rocks and sand will wear through to the wires. A friend of mine showed me a coil that he had worn through. It still worked and he periodically filled in the hole with silicon to keep it from getting worse and water out. Leaves, pine needles and lawn grass are easy on your coil so if you do a lot of that kind of hunting you will be okay. In one year I wore out a coil cover on one machine that I used along creeks and rivers. I was glad that I had a cover on it. If it affects performance it isn't by very much.
Thanks I would love to prospect in Nevada that would be so much fun accept for the snakes and alot of the critters out there. lol Thanks again

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I always use a coil cover Tommy as I hunt the beach. All that sand grinds it down like sandpaper.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt nuggets and the beach. I must be doing something wrong...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a coil cover for roughly the last 20 years. Never used them on my early detectors. I only take them off one time at the end of each season, to clean them and wipe anything off the coil itself. Don't feel as though I'm losing any depth by using one. Anymore, they are paper thin items. I do believe it's cheaper to buy and use one, than to damage your coil and have to buy a new coil. Just my .14 cents worth (adjusted for inflation) !

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If I'm at the river I take it off in the sand. That the only time.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use coil covers. I use flex seal spray on the bottom of my coils, and have had no issues. Available in black, white, clear. Just sand the coil lightly with 400-600 grit and apply spray, I do 2 coats. This is not a paid endorsement! lol
Jon :occasion14: 8-) :cat: :headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that idea. Thanks

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wore a hole in the coil of an ace 250 years ago, but back then I was hunting every chance I had and no less than 20 hrs a week. civil relics were very plentiful then and the time just flew by with no time to get bored. My current machine is the first I have owned with a cover and I do use it. one time it was dirty and false signaling but a rinse of water fix it right up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions