Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one who doesn't like using them I've been detecting for years and I feel like I might be losing depth or the times you get debris in there it seems like you would have to clean it all the time if you left it on for long enough it then could erode your coil from dirt and moisture I dont swing into rocks and if I did I doubt the cover would prevent a ding.I dont mind slapping a little grease on it to help it slide over the grass lol just kidding does any one else not use one
Just curious

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a coil cover on all my coils and I have never felt that I was losing any depth and I have a tendency to be rough on stuff so I would rather be safe than sorry.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always cover my coil when pounding holes!!:whip2:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only took the coil cover off the Deus once. It was a waste of time. They are made very well and professionally and there was no dirt, sand or anything under it.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya I guess your right I've never had an issue with out one for some reason I just never liked the idea of it on there just getting other opinions I hunt mostly grassy areas there was one time zi was having issues with my at pro where the vdi was running constantly and the cover must have had some iron in it or something but I took it off and fixed it and just left it off

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now last week I managed to get a big piece of aluminum foil on TOP of the loop, that doesn't count. I knocked it off!:occasion14:

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you take it off and clean it after every hunt
Wow I think I'm all alone on this one lol

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean it? Like ANY PART of the machine? Like with water? Or wipes? Or chemicals? Or Windex? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

NEVER! Runs like a tank, looks like a tank ran over it! NEVER!

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've stepped on mine tripped over it swatted bees with it got in a sword fight with some freakin bird that kept swooping down at me like the birds on alfred Hitchcock that was creepy taken her out in the rain the snow never felt the need for a cool cover I am dumber than I look if that's possible lol

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if I start seeing everyone with control box covers then I'm gonna start worrying after all I'm a pro in my mind ......

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XP Deus and Tesoro machines are built like tanks. My Cibola is over 9 years old now, never had an issue. Deus is going on 3. It could use a paint job, but like who cares? A lot of newer machines are made who knows where and they look and feel like it. Cheap plastic. There is good quality plastic available BTW. That collapsible shaft on the Deus must be made with kryptonite or something. I have managed to DENT it a little...tough creature. My old White's was also built like a tank. A friend of mine still has the Tesoro I got in 1988 or so and it still works.

And don't tell anyone but I still use my 10 year old Garrett pinpointer as a hammer.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear that I'm not alone lol and my lesche as a pry bar heres one I'm alone on A few weeks ago as I'm setting up my Nox I like to put a test coin on the ground a silver dime well after a few hours of swinging I run over my test dime with my coil and was pretty excited to find a silver dime oops forgot to pick up my test dime
Now I gotta go look at my profile picture and contemplate it I really am as dumb as I look I need a minute. Yep I am

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, you're not dumb. Please! I used to break wires on headphones until I bought Grey Ghosts. I can't break them either!

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love those grey ghosts I bought some for my Nox dont mind the cord cause they are worth using a cord hope they come out with the wireless grey ghosts for the nox and Thanks Smokey

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, A2coins, with or without a coil cover.... it doesn't matter.... 30 years detecting, I've had dozen's of detector's... some with coil covers and some without.... made no difference... I never wore out a coil or damaged one without a cover..... If they come with a cover, fine..... If, I buy a detector without a cover, I leave it that way.... How many people have you met that ruined a coil from having no cover ?? None.... Have a great day... Basssmann Ray

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ray I never cared for them but want to hear what others think glad Im not alone lol

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to get the carbon fiber shafts for my nox but You know how all the talk is about how College should be made affordable I have 2 Daughters and every year you have to buy brand new books no more selling your books.

Because after 1 year they are out of date NoooOOooooh So no Carbon fiber shafts say it one more time Carbon fiber shafts. Now everybody NO CARBON FIBER SHAFTS I'm getting the shaft but not the. One more time
..........lol Cant make it a tank anytime soon

Last edited:

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Tommy,
Nugget hunters need a coil cover other wise the rocks and sand will wear through to the wires. A friend of mine showed me a coil that he had worn through. It still worked and he periodically filled in the hole with silicon to keep it from getting worse and water out. Leaves, pine needles and lawn grass are easy on your coil so if you do a lot of that kind of hunting you will be okay. In one year I wore out a coil cover on one machine that I used along creeks and rivers. I was glad that I had a cover on it. If it affects performance it isn't by very much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread