Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chiggers are about the only insects that really bother me. They are the most dangerous animal in the world, because if they were as big as a dog they would eat a man plum up. The best protection I've found for them for me is to move far away where they can't live, which I did.

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My dad’s old remedy was to buy a bag of sulfur & fill an old sock with it. Then dust our shoes, ankles & pants legs with it.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chiggers are about the only insects that really bother me. They are the most dangerous animal in the world, because if they were as big as a dog they would eat a man plum up. The best protection I've found for them for me is to move far away where they can't live, which I did.

Chiggers are right up there with a really bad case of poison ivy for itch. In fact, just avoiding them altogether is the best treatment. The sulfur idea is interesting as a repellent. Moving away was a good plan.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been tore up so many times and found that putting Gold bond medicated powder inside my socks and wiping it up my legs helps tremendously.

Also, i spray this on the outside of my paints and haven't had an issue since.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009KMWES/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a pic of my legs after a few hours of hunting last year... But ever since I used the gold bond powder and the spray....Never again

IMG_5533.jpg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best is permethrin. Buy a spray can and spray your clothes while you are not wearing them. When it dries, you are protected from chiggers and ticks. Chiggers bite, then inject a chemical that keeps the hole from closing while they feed. Then they drop off. It's the chemical left behind that makes you itch. Fingernail polish is worthless. Best to get Benadryl gel for the itch. Gary

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The best is permethrin. Buy a spray can and spray your clothes while you are not wearing them. When it dries, you are protected from chiggers and ticks. Chiggers bite, then inject a chemical that keeps the hole from closing while they feed. Then they drop off. It's the chemical left behind that makes you itch. Fingernail polish is worthless. Best to get Benadryl gel for the itch. Gary

Ill try that. Off ain't doing it.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was trekking through the jungles of India they had us rub vicks vaporub up to our knees and up to our shirt lines This kept the ticks and jumping leeches from having any interest

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It won't prevent redbugs, but it will get rid of them:
Listerine

Wet down, let dry, do it again.
You might have to do this a couple of times.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently my hunting partner and I were in a field and the next day he called and told me he was covered up with chiggers. I have to wear compression hose and I did not get bitten at all. I guess the work for that to.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Permethrin is the best preventative (and you DO want to prevent them!). Unlike mosquitoes, you never can tell where they will be or when they will climb on board.

It is also good for ticks, mosquitoes, and other pests. Although chiggers are a mite, which is part of the spider family, like insects, they die quickly from exposure to Permethrin.

Otherwise you may end up looking like this:

280_190_photo_of_chigger_bites_on_leg.jpg

Bites are insanely itchy, and may last for 2 weeks. They may also require a $600 Epipen shot as well in severe reactions. There is little as bad as a spider bite, some of which can damage nerve tissue and twitch for years.

You could try "old wives remedies", but they were never as effective as cold, hard science to me.

If you do get bit, try this, from WebMD:

Your first step: Take a bath or shower and scrub your skin with soap and water. This washes off any chiggers that are still on you.

Using hot water, wash your clothes and any blankets or towels that touched the ground to kill any bugs that are still hanging on.

Then treat your bites with an over-the-counter anti-itch cream or ointment, like menthol, calamine lotion, or hydrocortisone. You can also get relief if you take antihistamine pills or use a cold compress.

Remember: No freeloaders!

DawnNC

Oct 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For years I was told that fingernail polish was good, and would kill the little devils. Yesterday I was told that the new "Liquid bandage" was a possible solution and would work in the same manner as the old polish trick. Has any one tried this and what were your results??
The chigger Rid product is no longer available.

I don’t know what will repel them but Vaseline under plastic wrap (Saran wrap)
Smothers them right out over night.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a mixture of Tea Tree Oil and water in a spray bottle. Fill spray bottle with water, and add a few cap fulls of the oil. It is ok to spray directly on to your skin, as its all natural. At a minimum, spray your ankle cuffs and wrist cuffs. This mixture is also very good for preventing ticks. If you use Tea Tree Oil, you wont have to worry about the Chiggers and Ticks. They wont come near you. This has worked for me, for years.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permethrin has always been my go-to for keeping them away. I wil have to try the tea-tree oil though. Thanks for the idea.

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Chiggers suck! I made the mistake of laying down on some grass and got those little pricks all over my arms. Talk about itch!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spray a ring of the heavy "deet" around my knee boots . There is a permetherine treatment that you wash your metal detecting clothes in and it lasts for several washings and makes you impervious to most insects. Its awesome. Easiest to just order it off the interweb.

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Permethrin treatment you use to spray your clothing and it last for a week or two does the trick. I use it when I go archery hunting at our local refuge. The mosquitos swarm in clouds around you but never land on you. ticks never get on you either. Same chemical they use to dip dogs for flees. When I was younger a old wise man showed me where all his crappie holes were. Every time we went he took a bottle of men's cologne and sprayed his legs, gave it to me said chiggers hate it. I never got them.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No chiggers but out here in Calif and Nevada we have The Red Spider Mite that lives around remote hot springs and are a real pain.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
golfing.gif
I got wiped out one time playing golf! Starting itching right away but didn't really show up until on the way home!!!! Took forever to clear up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread