Texas protecting history

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started detecting around 1996 I took my whites PI and headed to Boca Chica beach the last part of the beach before you end up in Mexico, South Texas. I parked my car near the beach and began my search. I saw couple of what looked like telephone poles with just the top of them peaking above the sand. Later I found it was a ship from Texas past history, its still not identified by the new articles I recently found. I didn't find any treasure that day.

On the next trip after a heavy tide, I saw a little more of the ship I had seen before, but this time I saw another piece of a ship sticking out above the water about 60 to 70 yards from that ship in the surf, most under sand. It was made of wood that was eaten by worms and had metal pieces across it. Someone later told me it was a Mexican war ship that was sunk. I didn't find anything around it and went on my way. Later after walking about 200 yards north I found a couple of small rectangle pieces of what looked to be lead about 3 to 4 inches long 2 inches wide and about 1/2 inch thick. I figured it was something from a oil rig that had washed up on surf. later I found another one. neither were tarnished or black. will try to post a photo of them, maybe someone can identify.

Then after finding some articles they mention that there are 49 shipwrecked in the area I was hunting. from the early 1800. posting one of the articles as a pdf attachment hope someone will find interesting. looks like they now have the border patrol watching the area for treasure hunters. maybe we need to do more hunting of some areas more before its all posted no hunting.

Happy Hunting to all!

Attachments

• https___www.austinchronicle.pdf
    426.4 KB · Views: 23
  • https___www.thc.texas.pdf
    465.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Shanep

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started detecting around 1996 I took my whites PI and headed to Boca Chica beach the last part of the beach before you end up in Mexico, South Texas. I parked my car near the beach and began my search. I saw couple of what looked like telephone poles with just the top of them peaking above the sand. Later I found it was a ship from Texas past history, its still not identified by the new articles I recently found. I didn't find any treasure that day.

On the next trip after a heavy tide, I saw a little more of the ship I had seen before, but this time I saw another piece of a ship sticking out above the water about 60 to 70 yards from that ship in the surf, most under sand. It was made of wood that was eaten by worms and had metal pieces across it. Someone later told me it was a Mexican war ship that was sunk. I didn't find anything around it and went on my way. Later after walking about 200 yards north I found a couple of small rectangle pieces of what looked to be lead about 3 to 4 inches long 2 inches wide and about 1/2 inch thick. I figured it was something from a oil rig that had washed up on surf. later I found another one. neither were tarnished or black. will try to post a photo of them, maybe someone can identify.

Then after finding some articles they mention that there are 49 shipwrecked in the area I was hunting. from the early 1800. posting one of the articles as a pdf attachment hope someone will find interesting. looks like they now have the border patrol watching the area for treasure hunters. maybe we need to do more hunting of some areas more before its all posted no hunting.

Happy Hunting to all!

Wow didnt know about this.

Thanks for the post.

Regards,
Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread