Geography rules!

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hitting the auction circuits and antique markets from the age of 16 (I'm now 50). I grew up in Ohio where great things appeared out of nowhere on a regular basis. It was very competitive though, prices were high unless you got lucky and ran across some gem unadvertised. I moved to South Florida, 10 years ago, for a new job I had to walk away from my old haunts.+

Looking at the calendars around Southern Ohio over the past year it is simply amazing the amount of nice things being sold at small auctions right now. It's like a dam has burst.
Prices are low.

In Florida there is nothing for hundreds of miles. No auctions, flat estate sales, nothing.

I can't even sell my accumulation of junk I brought with me because there isn't a venue to sell it efficiently.

I am having serious nostalgia issues. I want to be back in the hunt. Is this just my midlife crisis?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
you would seem to have 2 choices: new activities or relocation
the only thing I found to do in Florida was walk the beaches

OP
OP
Force_of_Iron

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you would seem to have 2 choices: new activities or relocation
the only thing I found to do in Florida was walk the beaches

Well you may be a bit to restrictive on the options. If it is a midlife crisis another option I suppose could be to buy a Corvette. At auction of course!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe Fla has too many retired people that don't need anything. Left it all behind in OHIO.
When the movement West was full bore, people left their furniture behind but took their smaller things like glassware.
Today furniture in CA goes for big bucks and the glassware there looks like a museum.
You might be able to sell to tourists.

OP
OP
Force_of_Iron

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's what I guess to be the case. The younger families live in the houses with nothing in them. The snowbirds live in the small houses with nothing in them. The math isn't good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread