djqix

Feb 9, 2019
Phillipsburg, Warren County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am I the only one that HATES thing thing? Yes, it's still a new unit to me. And I'm sure it's all user error. But nothing about this unit is "jiving" with me. I'm finding at every hunt I'm wishing I brought my Makro instead. I think I'm going to just do the factory reset, and run it "out of the box" on Park 1 for the rest of the season. I'm thinking a big part of it is simply that I'm pretty used to, and familiar with the Makro Kruzer now. I really hope it just "clicks" one of these days. It's not a bad unit, as can be seen by all the glowing reviews out there, the finds, etc.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just use a factory preset for now. Try a test garden. I have had machines I didn't like, it wasn't so much the machine it was pretty much me. One was too heavy, one balanced wrong, one had tones that drove me nuts and on and on. Like Goldilocks and the three bears.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moving to a completely new platform of detector is VERY frustrating. I felt the same as you when I moved from a whites 6000 to a Minelab E-Trac (yes, its been a while!)

You have the right idea, you just have let yourself adjust. Its all new sounds and responses and nothing feels familiar yet. If you start jumping back and forth to your old detector, its going to take a LOT longer to learn the new one. Here is my recommendation for all new users of any brand...

1 - read your user manual, from cover to cover
2 - play with the detector to get used to changing settings and modes.
3 - put it in a stock mode for your type of hunting AND LEAVE IT THERE. if you are constantly making changes to it, you are going to change the responses and it will take a lot longer to "meld" with your new machine.
4 - Go detecting somewhere easy, somewhere not filled with junk and preferably easy to dig.
5 - Go back and read your user manual again - things will make more sense now that you have a few hours on it
6 - PAY ATTENTION to every detail of target response before you dig. The detector can tell you a lot of information but you have to learn its language.
7 - After have put in many days of hunts and learning and feel you have a handle on it, then read the manual again, then start researching on the finer aspects of the adjustments. Learn HOW settings change responses so you can understand when and how much to should be changing them.

OK, now more specifically to the EQX... When you get a feel for its responses, start researching what Iron Bias does, and Recovery speed, and differences in the "behind the scenes" changes of the different modes. I know everybody wants to get maximum performance from their brand new detector, but keep in mind that EVERYTHING is a trade off. When you make it smoother and quieter to operate, you are losing max performance, when you crank up the settings you can easily get overloaded with endless signals and falsing and end up missing those deepest targets because your brain is on overload. Lastly, the factory settings arent going to miss much, if anything. I've always felt that the Minelab presets get you 90% of its max ability from the start. Unless you are hunting in a HIGHLY mineralized location, LEAVE THE GROUND BALANCE ALONE. The ML doesnt need it on anything other than 0.

OK, now go out and hunt some more and have fun!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I could see coming from the Kruzer to a Nox. I wouldn't be able to do it.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I would stay with it bit longer to see if it takes. Give it a chance first. Then you can determine which one you like better.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d have recovery speed high, that makes hunting more pleasureable , but you may miss a deep target.

Also, run sensitivty around 22 if you can.

Also, give park 1 a try

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Changing from a ATP to EQ 800 is still a challenge to me. I'm mostly a coin shooter, so I'm learning in Park 1, and adjusted to a 3 tone, until I'm more familiar with basic target to new tones.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took me 6 months to really enjoy the Nox. Definitely stick with sensitivity 21, Park1 and no horseshoe for a good while to understand its language.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And there is no harm if you don't become fast friends. It can be used as a back up machine.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hooked right out of the box. The deepest detector I’ve ever used. I came over from a Garrett (bell tone drove me nuts) and a fisher gold bug ( was nice and light) sold them both. I love the nox. I bought the 6” coil in the early spring and it’s been on ever since. Just give it time. Good luck.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like everyone else said, give it plenty of time in the field. Switching to a different brand of machine is always a challenge. I went from a Fisher CZ5 (which I still use) to a Minelab Explorer SE Pro. It took me about 6 months of hunting (1 day a week) to be comfortable with that detector. I then went to the Nox 800 which didnt take as much time to learn, because I already used a Minelab, and they are similar in technology. I also agree with those that say just use the factory presets and hunt in Park 1. I have had mine 7 or 8 months now, and have never used anything but Park 1 and have made some very nice silver and relic finds with the detector. I have no need to put in my own custom settings at this rate. Good luck out there.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my EQ800 for eight months now, and love it. I also came over from the At Pro, and it wasn't too bad of a learning curve for me. As has been mentioned, the default settings are pretty spot on for most hunting situations. Over time I have learned to slightly tweak a few settings here and there to suit me the best, but someone still new to the machine should probably leave them alone until they they gain some confidence with the machine. This DOES takes some time. The EQ800 may not be for everyone, but I sure love mine and am glad I bought it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that I have the nox it takes alot of learning park 1 and other factory presets work great as is you dont need to tweak it right away. You might be happier with an At pro great machine it's more of a turn on and go type I hope it gets better and listen to all the advice. Good luck. Tommy

OP
OP
djqix

djqix

Feb 9, 2019
Phillipsburg, Warren County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone for all the words of wisdom, and guidance. I'm sure it'll work out to be a wonderful machine. As I said, I'm certain it's me and not the unit. Not always easy teaching us old dogs new tricks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread