PG&E turned the power off
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: PG&E turned the power off

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2006
    2216 times

PG&E turned the power off

Power outages, to like 1mill people as a caution to wild fires in California
    crazy stuff turned to the power off
    deliberately, it will take like 5 days to
    restore. wow what a disruption to their life and economy ,all i can say is
    be safe.
    unbelievable a private co. can turn the switch off and leave you in......

https://abcnews.go.com/US/electricit...ry?id=66156324

https://twitter.com/PGE4Me
    DizzyDigger and RustyGold like this.

Yeah, I saw that. California is turning into a third world country.

Aug 2017
    665 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I am a native Californian who believes that we brought it upon ourselves...PG&E was providing a service to us and by an act of God they ended up filing bankruptcy due to lawsuits brought against them...Now whenever the winds pick up, an act of God, they fear another fire might break out and they could get sued again...

What a shame...PG&E was one of the richest power companies around...Now look at what they have to do to protect themselves from liabilities...And now people are crying because they are in the dark...I wonder how many of them were yelling...Sue the bas*****!!! lol...

I call it poetic justice...

Ed T

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1424 times
    JW you are exactly precisely correct, peeps want to be served and then sue

4th gen, but I left never to return
    Calif is now like Sicily, very beautiful but needs to be submerged for 3 days to clean it up/out
    repopulate, but from where ?
    Jim in Idaho likes this.
    read 'em and weep guys, we're whizzing on our feet
    Americans never want to go back to the way America used to be

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...merica-used-be

Charter Member

Aug 2019
    Formerly Ohio, now south
    103 times
    When I was growing up I never dreamed there could be such thing as rolling blackouts in America. That happened in other parts of the world.

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1424 times
    not a rolling blackout
    turned off, just that, no capacity problem

us
    Apr 2009
    1543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. California is turning into a third world country.
    It's not just California. How is the infrastructure in your neck of the woods?. You have cities where its not safe to drink the water, bridges on the verge of collapsing and roadways that will shake the screws out of your car. I was in China this year. I rode a train that ran 250 miles an hour. It's not just California, It's the whole country.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Escape View Post
    It's not just California. How is the infrastructure in your neck of the woods?. You have cities where its not safe to drink the water, bridges on the verge of collapsing and roadways that will shake the screws out of your car. I was in China this year. I rode a train that ran 250 miles an hour. It's not just California, It's the whole country.
    I drove to MA this spring and both the federal highway, route 95, and local roads, looked like they had been used for bombing practice. I chose to drive a less fuel efficient truck because I hoped the heavier suspension and steering components could better withstand the roads that one might expect in Beirut. To avoid air heavily contaminated with carcinogens pumped into our old neighborhood from a new fracked gas refinery and liquefaction facility, we moved to where we might be able to breathe the air. But, good to know that India and Japan will receive LNG fuel relatively clean for them to burn and never have to see the conditions where it was processed.
    BillA, SeabeeRon and RustyGold like this.

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1424 times
    careful guys, don't want the thread wacked (like I just caused)

I guess PG&E's problems are related to aging lines, but the conditions are difficult
    and liability is going to be sought in any case, over and over
    I would agree as a manager - no liability if power is off as a protective measure

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11815 times
    Metal Detecting
    They were held liable for billions of dollars last time the lines caused a fire. So you can't blame them for shutting off the power in similar conditions if that was the case.

Can't have it both ways.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    We Build, We Fight!

Aug 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA.
    ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
    940 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    They were held liable for billions of dollars last time the lines caused a fire. So you can't blame them for shutting off the power in similar conditions if that was the case.

Can't have it both ways.
    Well said Charlie!

Granted, some of the wild fires over the last few years were caused by faulty equipment on PG&E's side. Most were due to poor forest management around the overhead lines. There is much blame to go around for that including Federal/State governments, private property owners as well as PG&E itself!

When I started with PG&E in 1968 the company upper management was made up of those who "came up through the ranks", lineman and engineers. By the time I retired 40 years later it was run by Bean Counters and Lawyers and much needed maintenance was "deferred" or just cancelled!!

Believe me, the rank and file employees are not happy about this as they are taking the heat from the public! There have been employees shot at and offices vandalized during this most recent event!
    sprailroad, BillA and cw0909 like this.
    SeabeeRon Santa Cruz,CA.

us
    Jan 2017
    Troy Missouri
    That one I grab for the day.
    286 times
    They will be sued for cutting it off im sure.
    BillA likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2971 times
    Just as SeabeeRon's PG&E, same held true for the railroad. Many of those "in charge", seldom actually ever worked on the tracks much at all, and those that made all the rules? The most time they ever spent on a railroad track, was on a rare occasion there would be a day long field trip, where they would get to see and watch "the workers work". Somewhat amusing actually. The fires in Calif. that killed so many and destroyed so much was such a sad affair. Of course when someone determined it was caused by a "Power line" of PG&E's, well, let the lawyers begin, and I SOMEHOW feel it was the state itself who received most of the settlement. The people directly affected? perhaps not so much. Can't sue mother nature for earthquakes, floods, volcanos, heat and heavy winds, if there were a way, it would already have been done. Electric service in Calif.? perhaps demand is beginning to outstrip supply.
    SeabeeRon likes this.

Mar 2016
    3063 times
    There is ONE group of people who's shoulders bear full responsibility for the catastrophic wildfires last year.
    The extreme environmental groups have made it impossible to perform forest management profitably, to clear vegetation below and around power lines...to responsibly use herbacides to maintain fire breaks, ect.

We are more worried about earth getting into the water (which flows across the earth) than we are about homes burning down. It all comes back to the fear of a lawsuit for doing the right thing.
    sprailroad and kingskid1611 like this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    May 2011
    2883 times
    When I lived in Florida one Christmas morning it got unusually cold, down to the lower 20's, and because so many were home that day using electric heat and so many turning on electric ovens to cook their turkeys the power company started rolling blackouts because they were afraid their system would crash.
    If you lived on the same grid as a hospital you were lucky because they left those areas on.
    It was only a few hours but it was still inconvenient...nowhere near the hassle if you lose powers for days.

I feel sorry for those that have meds like very expensive insulin that must be refrigerated or oxygen generators and scooters that need to be charged.
    Last edited by digger27; Oct 10, 2019 at 10:29 AM.
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
    Annnnd now an Equinox 800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links