Who believed the Millenium Bug?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Who believed the Millenium Bug?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    2008 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Who believed the Millenium Bug?

Was going through an old box of ledger books the other day and I saw a sticker on the front of one "millenium bug free" - some kind of genius marketing ploy from 1999

I remembered back , my brother filled the bath with water and bought a few hundred cans of beans

As far as I know , no jets fell out of the sky and no countries power stations shut down... I just had a roaring hangover and my brother and his wife ended up having beans every other day for most of 2000

chub

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    33213 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I got a whopping TWO boxes of rice back then. Didn't really expect anything to happen. I heard one tale, maybe an urban legend. Anyway, this lady was prepping for Y2K (2000), and had really gone overboard. Stockpiled everything imaginable.

At the stroke of midnight, sure enough, the power went off! (Her husband went downstairs and threw off the main switch.) Hope she didn't do him in when she found out.

Dec 2007
    94 times
    A bunch of my SCUBA dive friends were having an end of the world NYE party. About 2 minutes past midnight, some drunk clipped a light pole (guessing) and sent the whole neighborhood dark. Most were in good enough party condition to not care. It was pretty funny for a while...

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    35452 times
    I was working telecommunications then. Had to stay at the fiber optic pop for 48 hours incase there were any issues. I was the only tech for the company with in 90 miles in any direction, I had 2 fiber regens and a small local pop that fed fiberoptic circuits to The local phone office. What sucked is the office had no physical address. It was a building in a field in the country in Missouri and that is when I found out Dominos want deliver with out a physical address. I had to drive down dirt road about a mile to a farmer's house ask them if I could use their address to deliver food to.

In the 48 hours I worked, there were only a couple issues and I was able to fix them by logging in. After that I made sure I kept small stock of food on hand in all 3 buildings plus I added a a cot to the pop. Sleeping on the cold concrete floor sucked.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Oct 13, 2019 at 07:59 PM.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

I excercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

us
    Jan 2015
    Upstate NY
    Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
    775 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I was A Headend tech for the local Cable company here. I'm still with the company but no longer in the headend. Anyway, we had to have technicians man each of our major Headends to make sure the cable stayed on. It did and we all got small Leatherman knives to commemorate the day.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    20508 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I worked for a software development company at the time - sure got a whole lot of overtime back then
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Aug 2019
    The 3rd Planet
    121 times
    I never believed it but a hard reset on todays world would be nice...I'd love to go back to the days before cell phones and internet. I might miss my Amazon and online maps tho.

Aug 2019
    Formerly Ohio, now south
    474 times
    I had to work that night in a very large industrial facility with a lot of automation. I was in the union then. All the techs with any seniority took the night off in case something crazy happened. Nobody was around except the newer people. I sat in a loadout and IT came around a couple of times. Very few trucks came in that night as nobody wanted to risk needing materials and not processing them so everything was loaded early that day They were on full alert. The hour came and went. I drank a cup of coffee. It was very quiet and peaceful. A good night and a memorable one. I think the only impact was that at 12:05 they reloaded the desktops.

A nice crisp January 1st to remember

us
    Apr 2009
    1657 times
    Stocking up 100's of cans of beans just doesn't sound right. I think he just likes beans. Somebody open a window.
    Last edited by Escape; Oct 14, 2019 at 08:05 PM.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1271 times
    Never believed it.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    2944 times
    same here, thought it was a scam
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    Michigan
    6366 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I had a case of empty millennium Budweiser cans, it was full new years eave not sure what happened their
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    Aug 2017
    Southern Oregon
    Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
    211 times
    Relic & Nugget hunting, but I do it all
    I didn't believe in it but I seized the opportunity to stock rum. I just have one question, why is the rum all gone?

us
    Aug 2019
    Maryland
    MineLab
    267 times
    Made a fortune as a consultant back then as the dreaded "year 2000" hit. I suggested we fix at least until "10,000" just to give us some room to play!
    chub likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    6113 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I was stationed in DC that year and not a big believer but decided to play it safe and not go down to the National Mall for the Fireworks on the off chance that I was wrong, the thought of being stuck in a crowd of 100,000 plus people in the dark while the world was crashing around my shoulders didn't seem prudent. Stayed at home and celebrated with Guinness and the fam!
    Nevada Prospector likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links