chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was going through an old box of ledger books the other day and I saw a sticker on the front of one "millenium bug free" - some kind of genius marketing ploy from 1999:laughing7:

I remembered back , my brother filled the bath with water and bought a few hundred cans of beans:tongue3:

As far as I know , no jets fell out of the sky and no countries power stations shut down... I just had a roaring hangover and my brother and his wife ended up having beans every other day for most of 2000 :laughing7:

chub

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a whopping TWO boxes of rice back then. Didn't really expect anything to happen. I heard one tale, maybe an urban legend. Anyway, this lady was prepping for Y2K (2000), and had really gone overboard. Stockpiled everything imaginable.

At the stroke of midnight, sure enough, the power went off! (Her husband went downstairs and threw off the main switch.) Hope she didn't do him in when she found out.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
A bunch of my SCUBA dive friends were having an end of the world NYE party. About 2 minutes past midnight, some drunk clipped a light pole (guessing) and sent the whole neighborhood dark. Most were in good enough party condition to not care. It was pretty funny for a while...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working telecommunications then. Had to stay at the fiber optic pop for 48 hours incase there were any issues. I was the only tech for the company with in 90 miles in any direction, I had 2 fiber regens and a small local pop that fed fiberoptic circuits to The local phone office. What sucked is the office had no physical address. It was a building in a field in the country in Missouri and that is when I found out Dominos want deliver with out a physical address. I had to drive down dirt road about a mile to a farmer's house ask them if I could use their address to deliver food to.

In the 48 hours I worked, there were only a couple issues and I was able to fix them by logging in. After that I made sure I kept small stock of food on hand in all 3 buildings plus I added a a cot to the pop. Sleeping on the cold concrete floor sucked.

Last edited:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was A Headend tech for the local Cable company here. I'm still with the company but no longer in the headend. Anyway, we had to have technicians man each of our major Headends to make sure the cable stayed on. It did and we all got small Leatherman knives to commemorate the day.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I worked for a software development company at the time - sure got a whole lot of overtime back then :)

SpareSomeChange

Aug 17, 2019
The 3rd Planet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never believed it but a hard reset on todays world would be nice...I'd love to go back to the days before cell phones and internet. I might miss my Amazon and online maps tho.

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to work that night in a very large industrial facility with a lot of automation. I was in the union then. All the techs with any seniority took the night off in case something crazy happened. Nobody was around except the newer people. I sat in a loadout and IT came around a couple of times. Very few trucks came in that night as nobody wanted to risk needing materials and not processing them so everything was loaded early that day They were on full alert. The hour came and went. I drank a cup of coffee. It was very quiet and peaceful. A good night and a memorable one. I think the only impact was that at 12:05 they reloaded the desktops.

A nice crisp January 1st to remember

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Stocking up 100's of cans of beans just doesn't sound right. I think he just likes beans. Somebody open a window.

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never believed it.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a case of empty millennium Budweiser cans, it was full new years eave not sure what happened their:dontknow:

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't believe in it but I seized the opportunity to stock rum. I just have one question, why is the rum all gone?

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a fortune as a consultant back then as the dreaded "year 2000" hit. I suggested we fix at least until "10,000" just to give us some room to play! :)

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stationed in DC that year and not a big believer but decided to play it safe and not go down to the National Mall for the Fireworks on the off chance that I was wrong, the thought of being stuck in a crowd of 100,000 plus people in the dark while the world was crashing around my shoulders didn't seem prudent. Stayed at home and celebrated with Guinness and the fam!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in my 2nd year in IT and was building Pentium II and early Pentium III PC's. About 3 to 6 machines a day for 6 months to replace an oil companies old 486 machines that couldn't handle the date on windows 95 or 3.1 then I would deliver them to gas stations so they could send financial data after 1999 rolled over to 2000. They probably would have worked anyway with year 00 from what I understood at the time but the banks were pushing it hard as well...so it might have been a big deal. I was 19 and built computers all day and drank mntdew and listened to the radio it was a pretty sweet gig at the time.

This was still when you could build PC's and make money on them.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was working at a company that had been "on-site" since the Civil War and had proprietary inventory, CNC, bill-of-material (used in production to mix the formula/solutions for dyes and emulsions) and ledger systems. They had to bring a long retired programmer in to expand the date field by to additional digits. The product we sold was photographic film and paper and we had warehouses of automated racking/storage that would pull the short-dated product. It was going to be a real mess when the new 2000 product became the "oldest" in the system. The patch gained them the time to upgrade to a system and bridge the old data into it.

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The potential for Y2K issues was quite real, depending on the application.

I spent almost a year working on a team reviewing, modifying and testing 1000's of programs and tens of thousand lines of code to address issues in a midrange AS400 environment. Had to come in to work and spend the night New Years Eve 1999/Jan 1st 2000 watching and dealing with any issues. Never got to party like Prince did.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to bed early that night, like I always do on new year's eve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions