Fishing with RC boat .Has anyone here tried it ?

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about w/a Drone >

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Did he catch a fish? Couldn't finish video. Was making me seasick.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did he catch a fish? Couldn't finish video. Was making me seasick.

The 1st vid.he did.....The 2nd vid. he didn't.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
004.JPG I'm thinking of using a RC Boat to troll left & right (shore to shore in this pix.) I might hook on to a big one here (over 40 pounds). Full sized boats are not allowed passed the marked off area for safety as seen in the pix.Beyond the markers to the Dam its 700 Ft. by 500 Ft.,and 200 ft deep.This Dam flows both ways to keep the lake water at desired depth.Using a quick disconnect from RC boat will keep it from sinking.And allow me to reel the fish to my boat which will be at the markers.This area has never been fished as its a 5 hour walk . :)
quick disconnect https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fishing-...=125210027&wl11=online&wl12=253180258&veh=sem

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see the reel set up on the RC boat, looks like he had an RC electric powered reel also. Regarding fishing the off limits end of the lake I see no reason for there to be any more or larger fish there. Big stripers need to eat and will swim all over looking for food.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't seen this type of fishing before. Just asking, is your DNR o'k with fishing that way?

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool thing. As far as I can tell it's legal here in Colorado as long as you obey other rules pertaining to the particular area. You might not want to go in to that area close to the dam though, as I don't believe they want any type traffic in that area to protect the dam. We have security guards stationed here at Dillon Reservoir Dam and they're pretty particular about what goes on in the vicinity of the dam.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see the reel set up on the RC boat, looks like he had an RC electric powered reel also. Regarding fishing the off limits end of the lake I see no reason for there to be any more or larger fish there. Big stripers need to eat and will swim all over looking for food.

When the water flows back into the lake that's where they are :) .Even the surrounding air temp drops 10+ *. On the RC elect. reel ,I'd bypass all that. Having my line(while in my boat) fastened to the RC boat via
A quick disconnect as posted in #5 post.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool thing. As far as I can tell it's legal here in Colorado as long as you obey other rules pertaining to the particular area. You might not want to go in to that area close to the dam though, as I don't believe they want any type traffic in that area to protect the dam. We have security guards stationed here at Dillon Reservoir Dam and they're pretty particular about what goes on in the vicinity of the dam.

Yeah,defiantly no full sized boats allowed beyond the markers here. And I bet there's nothing in the regs.(yet ) on fishing w/RC Boat.here.As long as all the other regs are followed.
...It took VA. years to prohibit Deer hunting w/any Cal. Airgun.They just changed it last year to 30 Cal. or larger.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frenzy at S.M.L.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make these planer boards (designed for trolling a 9 hook umbrella rig). Thinking one of these Red quick disconnect will work just fine. 2011_0330Mttohuntdeer4th0010.JPG 2011_0330Mttohuntdeer4th0019.JPG

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking planer boards. Those disconnect clips will work fine if you have a large enough RC boat. The only problem is if the boat isn't large enough the force required to release the clip may interfere with it's operation since you will also have the drag of the bait and line in the water which the release clip must hold. I've used a lot of those clips on flat lines and downriggers on salt water vessels. If you git'er done we'd sure like to see the finished set up. I have always wanted to try this beach fishing in the ocean on calm days and be able to get the bait and sinker out two casts away. I also don't know the range of the controls for the RC boats, the guy in the video seemed to keep pretty close by in his bigger boat. I didn't know freshwater guys were using umbrellas but they have a ton of drag and clips need to be pretty tight to hold them.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking planer boards. Those disconnect clips will work fine if you have a large enough RC boat. The only problem is if the boat isn't large enough the force required to release the clip may interfere with it's operation since you will also have the drag of the bait and line in the water which the release clip must hold. I've used a lot of those clips on flat lines and downriggers on salt water vessels. If you git'er done we'd sure like to see the finished set up. I have always wanted to try this beach fishing in the ocean on calm days and be able to get the bait and sinker out two casts away. I also don't know the range of the controls for the RC boats, the guy in the video seemed to keep pretty close by in his bigger boat. I didn't know freshwater guys were using umbrellas but they have a ton of drag and clips need to be pretty tight to hold them.

Thanks...Good thinking on the "line drag" aspect if it . I'll have to think this over.Thinking the RC Boat would be trolling with a single hook from the stern (w/ live 6" shad) 20 ft. down at 2MPH.But having 150 ft of line out from my boat to the RC boat might pose a problem.I have all the electronics to do the job,from flying fixed wing RC planes.Brush-less motors,TXs,RXs ,servos Li-Po batts.etc. for a 20 pound RC boat.Those release clips are adjustable as to how much force it takes to release the line.As far as the boat goes,I'd probably have to make one.Or find a shell/hull big enough for the job.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea.

But you don't need a boat. You need a submarine. Then you can skip the release and just reel in you fish with a submarine bobber. Don't forget to put a guard on the prop to shield the line from it, and of course your leader off the submarine should be lighter than your spool.

Perfict :) except for the cost $$$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread