Hindenburg Photos Uncovered- How do I manage this?

Jan 13, 2016
Kemmerer Wyoming
Detector(s) used
GARRETT A/T PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My aunt who is 75 years old is unpacking boxes which have never seen the light of day since she was 20. She uncovered some photos of the Hindenburg disaster which she believes her father took. Let me tell you, they are amazing! Now, to my quandary. I can't just let these out to the public as I aim to protect her rights to them. How do I go about either selling the photos or releasing them publicly yet protected so other people don't profit from what rightfully is hers? She want's to sell the pictures but I know she should not just post them online or she will lose everything she has to people who will profit. If someone could guide us on the proper connection on how to go about this important piece of history, please help me make that connection.
Thank you everyone.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely will be some interest . . . but it won't be like naked pictures of Prince Harry & Magan. The event in 1937 was pretty well documented and photographed as the Press was there.

Terry has a good suggestion for selling. If you (or her) want to keep them I'd ask my "trusted" local attorney to contact a copyright lawyer and see how that process works.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I would find a specialty law firm who can advise on what to do, especially whether to sell outright or license the images. You will probably want to register them with the copyright office. Yes, you automatically own the copyright to them, but you won't be able to defend without registering so you may as well get this done ASAP. Then if you must send or show the images anywhere make sure there is an obnoxious copyright notice smeared across the image.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRY AND GET ON PAWN STARS :icon_thumleft:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you place a huge watermark on them, you can still post them as much as you like until you figure out what to do. I use watermarks all the time with my art to keep scumbags from stealing the images to make prints. Oh and you can also reduce the image pixel quality as well before posting.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might contact the Navy Lakehurst Heritage Center first. Navy Lakehurst Heritage Center They have lots of archival material on the crash and might know people who are interested.

As mentioned in the earlier posts, this disaster was well documented by the press that was there for the landing and has been studied for decades. There are 100's of pictures of the accident and the wreckage in the public domain. From an historic perspective, yours may be of interest simply because they are unpublished but I wouldn't expect them to have much monetary value.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... From an historic perspective, yours may be of interest simply because they are unpublished but I wouldn't expect them to have much monetary value.

Yep, this right here!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread