There's a chill in the air but on the bright side....

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The temps are dropping and it is wet and cool already. The wind is making things worse as it cuts thru you. An older gentleman was complaining about the aches and pains brought on by the cold and I understand this very well. Meds for stroke prevention and other problems have left me cold sensitive too. So I brought up the positives of the cold weather, no mosquitoes, ticks, wasps, chiggers or things like snakes. He nodded yes about them but said that it still didn't help his hurting any.

Yeah, I am a fair weather man these days, the extreme cold or heat can be very challenging but I believe that I can deal with the heat better. Yes, I know that this part of Arkansas doesn't get as cold as other places but I have lived just south of Chicago as well as three years in Germany so I know snow and cold. I just take enough blood thinners that I get chilled very easily.

I do love the smell of someone burning hickory in a woodstove, it is just a wonderful smell. I can remember as a kid putting my wet leather boots way too close to the woodstove, not good. Back before the wonderful boots that we have today, it was double socks with plastic bread sacks over your feet to keep them dry. I also remember the first time that I made the mistake of putting my frozen hands in warm running water, you don't do that twice. One time I was changing a flat in the snow, the nuts stuck to my fingers.

Winter also brings on baking and other things like soups, stews and chilies that warm us up from inside. I know that winter has some good points like snowmobiles, skiing and ice fishing but that is for other people now. I like to see the snow, take a few pics, make a snowball or two and then have it all melt and go away. I also detest the ice storms and its problems. Since I don't like coffee, it's hot chocolate and keeping warm inside and waiting for the warmer days to get out to detect.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tomorrow (Friday night), it will finally get below freezing here and the yellow jackets will DIE! This will be the first frost. That's when we begin digging in earnest, its too dangerous to hit a ground nest of those little monsters otherwise.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well come on up here newnan man, it was seven below this a.m., but has gotten up in the mid thirties now. You'll cool off real quick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread