Day light savings time, just flat out stupid - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Day light savings time, just flat out stupid

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30296 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    By the 60s DST became a nightmare with cities and states setting their own policy on DST when it was set taking a bus between Moundsville, W.V., and Steubenville, Ohio sent you through 7 time zones because of local customs.

If national law is repealed we are back to multiple time zones in America where there is only 6 in US now if you include Hawaii and Akaska.. It would become a logistical nightmare for interstate transportation.
    Inconsistent use in the U.S.

In the early 1960s, observance of Daylight Saving Time was quite inconsistent, with a hodgepodge of time observances, and no agreement about when to change clocks. The Interstate Commerce Commission, the nation's timekeeper, was immobilized, and the matter remained deadlocked. Many business interests were supportive of standardization, although it became a bitter fight between the indoor and outdoor theater industries. The farmers, however, were opposed to such uniformity. State and local governments were a mixed bag, depending on local conditions.

Efforts at standardization were encouraged by a transportation industry organization, the Committee for Time Uniformity. They surveyed the entire nation, through questioning telephone operators as to local time observances, and found the situation was quite confusing. Next, the Committee's goal was a strong supportive story on the front page of the New York Times. Having rallied the general public's support, the Time Uniformity Committee's goal was accomplished, but only after discovering and disclosing that on the 35-mile stretch of highway (Route 2) between Moundsville, W.V., and Steubenville, Ohio, every bus driver and his passengers had to endure seven time changes!

History & info - Daylight Saving Time, early adoption, U.S. law.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Nov 08, 2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Jason in Enid likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Aug 2006
    Temple, GA
    AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    I agree that changing times twice a year is stupid, but before you go screaming at the govt because it gets dark an hour earlier.... THIS is the true time of day. This is what it would be like anyway if DST was abolished.
    What Jason said.
    Treasure_Hunter likes this.

us
    Oct 2019
    Jordan's Saline, Republic of Texas
    Garrett AT PRO
    40 times
    Perfect thread. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Just stop the flippin' back and forth. Now I just leave the clock in my truck on dst since std time only seems to last a few months now. I worked 12 hr shifts my whole life and the DST was always inconvenient to everyone. OK now we're working 11 or 13 which is it, just leave it alone one or the other is fine. Stay on DST or stay on STD time. The children aren't needed in the fields after school to help harvest the crops any longer.
    Jason in Enid likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links