Day light savings time, just flat out stupid

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So for months we lose time to go outside and do whatever, just lovely, I’ll be in the dark when I’m dead so you no how I feel about this, gee even Ohio was considering getting rid of it but gotta go through sorry government which is a complete waste, we should kindly fire them they waste millions of taxpayer dollars, ok enough of that don’t want to cross the line, but true. If your up in age next spring might not be a possibility considering health etc very true so millions of us have to deal with winter, but time change is flat out dumb no wonder the doctors get busier, mental patients, not funny but true. Ok care to give opinion why not.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. No reason to do it. I hate when this time of year comes around. Here in Fl. the weather stays nice until Jan so we have to live with darkness at 5pm. Sucks. I'm tempted to not change my clocks and just adjust Dr appointments and such to MY time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice reply, another dam thing to take away freedom time to spend with family or ourselves, day time, government screws up everything, why does it always come down to that, well cause it. Rid them all they are unaccountable to many, Wild West days need to come back, doctor love this time of year more visits from us like we don’t have enough problems.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember a number of years ago when some friends ran a dairy farm. The time changes were always a pain. Their comment was that cows don't care what the clock says.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Just heard on the news that doctors report more depression cases when we Fall back and more heart attacks when we Spring ahead. Go figure.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that changing times twice a year is stupid, but before you go screaming at the govt because it gets dark an hour earlier.... THIS is the true time of day. This is what it would be like anyway if DST was abolished.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. No reason to do it. I hate when this time of year comes around. Here in Fl. the weather stays nice until Jan so we have to live with darkness at 5pm. Sucks. I'm tempted to not change my clocks and just adjust Dr appointments and such to MY time.

There is bill that passed both house on Florida governor's desk waiting to be signed to remove Florida from Daylight Savings.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is bill that passed both house on Florida governor's desk waiting to be signed to remove Florida from Daylight Savings.

I would like to stay on DST. Keep the time an hr ahead.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
So now it’s 10 degrees colder since the change to DST. I don’t care for it! Never did never will.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did Y'all not read Jason in Enid's reply. We did not just set our clocks to DST. We just went on standard time! DST begins in March.If we do away with DST we will lose an hour of evening daylight in the summer!

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How’s your dfx working after all these years I have one also, any tips or advice on using it

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How’s your dfx working after all these years I have one also, any tips or advice on using it

The DFX worked fine but I have quit using it. I was in a car wreck about 5 years ago and had vertebrae in my neck fused. It became difficult to swing the DFX all day so I bought the XP Deus. I can swing it with no problem. I keep the DFX as a back up/loaner machine. If I could still handle it I wouldn't have bought the Deus. I also have a White's 6000, XLT and Coin Master. I found the Coin Master in the dumpster at my old work place.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did Y'all not read Jason in Enid's reply. We did not just set our clocks to DST. We just went on standard time! DST begins in March.If we do away with DST we will lose an hour of evening daylight in the summer!
You are correct my friend. I think some people are confused as to which time we are in now. DST just ended and we went to Standard time as you said. Everyone here who wants it to stay light longer, wants to stay on DST, (as I do).

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another example of man's way of adapting the environment to himself.

I don't care what the clock says.
It could say it's 3:00 in the morning at noon for all I care.
Just as long as it's 3:00 at noon every day of the year.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, just pick one! I'm tired of being a ping long ball.
Clock in the bed room wasn't changed from last year, so it's now right. Clock in the kitchen hasn't been turned back yet, so it's wrong....I just go by my phone and someone else sets that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the 60s DST became a nightmare with cities and states setting their own policy on DST when it was set taking a bus between Moundsville, W.V., and Steubenville, Ohio sent you through 7 time zones because of local customs.

If national law is repealed we are back to multiple time zones in America where there is only 6 in US now if you include Hawaii and Akaska.. It would become a logistical nightmare for interstate transportation.
Inconsistent use in the U.S.

In the early 1960s, observance of Daylight Saving Time was quite inconsistent, with a hodgepodge of time observances, and no agreement about when to change clocks. The Interstate Commerce Commission, the nation's timekeeper, was immobilized, and the matter remained deadlocked. Many business interests were supportive of standardization, although it became a bitter fight between the indoor and outdoor theater industries. The farmers, however, were opposed to such uniformity. State and local governments were a mixed bag, depending on local conditions.

Efforts at standardization were encouraged by a transportation industry organization, the Committee for Time Uniformity. They surveyed the entire nation, through questioning telephone operators as to local time observances, and found the situation was quite confusing. Next, the Committee's goal was a strong supportive story on the front page of the New York Times. Having rallied the general public's support, the Time Uniformity Committee's goal was accomplished, but only after discovering and disclosing that on the 35-mile stretch of highway (Route 2) between Moundsville, W.V., and Steubenville, Ohio, every bus driver and his passengers had to endure seven time changes!

History & info - Daylight Saving Time, early adoption, U.S. law.

Last edited:

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that changing times twice a year is stupid, but before you go screaming at the govt because it gets dark an hour earlier.... THIS is the true time of day. This is what it would be like anyway if DST was abolished.

What Jason said.

beepbleep

Oct 25, 2019
Jordan's Saline, Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect thread. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Just stop the flippin' back and forth. Now I just leave the clock in my truck on dst since std time only seems to last a few months now. I worked 12 hr shifts my whole life and the DST was always inconvenient to everyone. OK now we're working 11 or 13 which is it, just leave it alone one or the other is fine. Stay on DST or stay on STD time. The children aren't needed in the fields after school to help harvest the crops any longer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread