Earliest maps that are available to public, what do you use

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we really go back as far as possible, but we r finding places that r not on even a 1860 map, is there anything specific on Pennsylvania free or otherwise, I can’t begin to tell you all what we find relics that nobody even detected on, so close to something but yet need help of maps anyone no , even historical society don’t no, thanks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Oldest ones are Cool to look at, but Unfortunately the detailed are Skimpy in most areas,
No roads or Old paths that have been re-routed later make pinpointing sites a chore at best. Rivers edges of course are the Exception.
1850's are the oldest around here that can be matched to Google enough to find landmarks

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oldd Atlas's are good I think if you visit the county courthouse and ask for plat maps you will find what you need, this too is a great way to aid your research of an area

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be researching French fur trade maps in your area. Or War of 1812 maps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread