1814 Geography Book- LOADS of cool historic info, detailed information about states

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the temp. at 25 degrees and a dusting of snow on the ground already, I fear that the 2019 detecting season is nearing it's close here in Vermont. As usual when the weather starts getting nasty, I get out my research materials that will aid me in my search for new detecting sites: maps, historical accounts, books, and the like. This evening I was getting out my binder of information and maps, when my eye caught my 1814 Adams Geography book where it usually sits on it's shelf and I thought that would share it with all of you.

I picked up this book last summer at a flea market and I bought it because of it's age, however I found that it also contains a plethora of really interesting information, and detailed descriptions of many of the regions of the world. Of particular interest to me was the section about the United States. For each state and territory at the time, a detailed account is given, and it even goes so far as to describe things such as the Climate, Soil and Productions, and Minerals that are found in the state. However for all us treasure hunters, for many states there "curiosities" listed - or places of interest such as rocks with unexplained carvings in them, abandon indian villages and other natural curiosities such as the "Natural Bridge" in Virginia. There are also the towns listed for some states that banks are located in.

Here's the title page:

1814Titlepage.jpg

And here's the pages describing my home state of Vermont:

Vermont1.jpg Vermont2.JPG Vermont3.JPG

As you can see, this book is a little rough around the edges, however I think we all would be after 205 years! :laughing7:

If anyone is interested in me posting pictures of the pages about the state they live in or any other states, below are the states and territories listed in this book:

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Mississippi
Tennessee
Kentucky
Ohio
Michigan Territory
Indiana Territory
Illinois Territory
Louisiana

Last edited:

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennsylvania if possible sir, western Pennsylvania thanks

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pennsylvania if possible sir, western Pennsylvania thanks

1814PA1.jpg

1814PA2.jpg

1814PA3.JPG

Thanks for the response!

Here are the pages on Pennsylvania. You will probably have to zoom in order to read it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about NC, I'm a mass-hole transplant! lol

Nice find!

1814NC1.jpg

1814NC2.jpg

Thanks for the response!

Here are the pages on North Carolina. Not very kind what the author wrote about the "former traits" of the inhabitants, however there is some interesting historical information. You will likely have to zoom in to see the text.

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would like to see Vermont a little clearer if you could

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600|Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s amazing. Would you mind showing NY if possible? Thanks!

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would like to see Vermont a little clearer if you could

Sorry to take so long to respond, I have been very busy recently.

You will likely have to zoom in, and I'm sorry about the perspective, I don't want to chance breaking the binding in the book by over-extending it.

Here is my try at better pictures of the Vermont pages:
1814VT1.JPG

1814VT2.JPG

1814VT3.jpg

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat book - I would have bought it also had I found it in a flea market.

Since you are from VT I have a question about the Green Mountains. Why did so many people live in the mountains in the 1700's and 1800's when there was lots of valleys? From watching Green Mountain metal detecting on youtube I see lots of cellar holes way up in the mountains.

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold / AT Pro / Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat book - I would have bought it also had I found it in a flea market.

Since you are from VT I have a question about the Green Mountains. Why did so many people live in the mountains in the 1700's and 1800's when there was lots of valleys? From watching Green Mountain metal detecting on youtube I see lots of cellar holes way up in the mountains.

Pre-plotted land grants :dontknow:
I would think it most likely had something to do with land availability to colonials proving a farm.

Hey VTColonialDigger, I'd be interested to see the pages you have on Maine ..If the offer still stands!

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pre-plotted land grants :dontknow:
I would think it most likely had something to do with land availability to colonials proving a farm.

Hey VTColonialDigger, I'd be interested to see the pages you have on Maine ..If the offer still stands!

Yep, I'll post pictures of the pages about Maine tomorrow. It's getting late otherwise I would post them now...

As for cellars way up in the mountains, I would say that many of the old homesites in the valleys are now in fields and that the only intact cellars are on mountains. Just my best guess. Also town/village centers were in the valleys and they would have been settled first, making land further away from town (mountainous areas) more available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I'll post pictures of the pages about Maine tomorrow. It's getting late otherwise I would post them now...

As for cellars way up in the mountains, I would say that many of the old homesites in the valleys are now in fields and that the only intact cellars are on mountains. Just my best guess. Also town/village centers were in the valleys and they would have been settled first, making land further away from town (mountainous areas) more available.

Here are the pages about Maine, you will probably have to click on them twice in order to enlarge them

1814ME1.jpg

1814ME2.jpg

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ooh, super cool book! If it's not too much of an inconvenience I'd love to see the Ohio pages.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are kind and generous to post images of specific states as you have here.

I don't see a request for Maryland and would be very interested since the book's date of publication, 1814, coincides with the year the British burned the towns, now farm fields, that I most like to hunt. No hurry and thank you in advance!

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are kind and generous to post images of specific states as you have here.

I don't see a request for Maryland and would be very interested since the book's date of publication, 1814, coincides with the year the British burned the towns, now farm fields, that I most like to hunt. No hurry and thank you in advance!

Thank you for the kind words. Here is what is written about Maryland:

1814MD1.jpg

1814MD2.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread