Help needed for missing person

Eric81

Nov 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I'm aware this is not an everyday post, but I'm hoping some of you experts could help with this.
Beginning of June, Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez went missing in Byron Bay, Australia. Police has no clue at all, and there is not much being done anymore.
His father Laurent is a good friend of mine and we are looking into searching a cliff with climbers for any possible traces.
Theo had his phone with him, as seen on camera footage, and Laurent hopes it is still there in case he fell down.
The slope is not very steep. See attached pictures.
It has been a few months now so chances are small to none finding anything.. or that has not been covered by rocks or sand.. but that is all we got.

Is there a good detector out there that could find a 0% battery smartphone in this kind of terrain? Most likely buried under sand and rocks?
Any other way you guys know of we could find this somehow? Do drones with ground penetrating radar exist?

Thx..

Eric

Screenshot 2019-11-09 at 17.32.14.jpg Screenshot 2019-11-09 at 17.32.59.jpg

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eric First off let me welcome you to a very fine forum. The question you asked is almost EVERY detector out there should be able to find that phone. Please keep us posted. Any more questions please do not be afraid to ask !!!

Good Luck PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND HIM AND HIS FAMILY @!! ARE WITH YOU !!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eric I do not know very much of this situation. I want to point out a few things. If anyone in that area seen a concentration of scavenger birds in the area you might ask them where they was seen. Some times birds may give a hint to the location. Terrible thought but might help

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a good detector out there that could find a 0% battery smartphone in this kind of terrain? Most likely buried under sand and rocks?

*Yes, as said above, "But", how deep?
A pocket knife, car keys, cell phone, "They show up real easy"
If you ask for recommendations here it will turn into the, Ford vs Chevy thing.

If you're serious about taking a detector to search that area, then take a morning,
or afternoon, and do some looking on the internet. Do some comparison shopping.
By all means do some looking here for info, but be careful not to become overwhelmed.

Check if there is a dealer in your area. Tell him what you're looking for and where you
will be looking for it. If you feel you're being hustled just say thank you and leave.

The unit you should consider would be along the lines of a "Relic Machine", "But",....
a lot of the island down under is very high mineral content.

So along the lines of a relic machine, that handles iron well.

Any other way you guys know of we could find this somehow?

Hell yes, dogs.
No need to bring any, the Aussi's have fantastic tracking dogs.
Bring clothing, a hairbrush, a hat,... items that were used, worn, by the missing.

The dogs will put you right on top of where you can do some searching with the detector.
(to be fair, the weather, soil erosion , and other factors, have more effect over time)

Check with the police and news reporters.
Ask if there is a psychic that has a solid reputation.

Do drones with ground penetrating radar exist?

Yes.
Anyone in your family have any connections to a high ranking military officer?

Or a crazy amount of money to hire a company from the private sector?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eric81

Nov 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all your replies and kind words,
Police has been investigating yes, search dogs have been involved yes but not on the cliff wall, google maps has been looked into yes, I have drone footage but not much stands out between all the loose rocks & sand.

I was just asking for information on these types of devices in order to assess if its useful to go climb with a metal detector. All other things have been done.
"Relics machine" Check. As I can see online there are a lot of different ones.. I understand everyone has a favorite.. but if there's one that stands out finding smartphones, I would love to hear.

Thank you all

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any metal detector over $199 will easily find a phone, and a lot under that price will too.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any metal detector over $199 will easily find a phone, and a lot under that price will too.

Smokey is right.

But since you will be a good ways from the city,..... a machine that is good on batteries, and of course bring extra.
What brands does the nearest dealer to you carry?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A large area of a search site might be best broken into grids after intitial search of most likely hiking stops/attractions caused by terrain.

Fallen scree piled areas would deserve attention if up-slope areas are smooth. Those below vantage points ,scenic lookouts ect. that are below trail(s) above might deserve attention too.

Looks like rough terrain. A phone may not have migrated far on a lot of it....

Best of success to you.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for all your replies and kind words,
Police has been investigating yes, search dogs have been involved yes but not on the cliff wall, google maps has been looked into yes, I have drone footage but not much stands out between all the loose rocks & sand.

I was just asking for information on these types of devices in order to assess if its useful to go climb with a metal detector. All other things have been done.
"Relics machine" Check. As I can see online there are a lot of different ones.. I understand everyone has a favorite.. but if there's one that stands out finding smartphones, I would love to hear.

Thank you all

I’ll mail you my CTX or equinox 800 if you want. I’ll take care of postage.

Let me know.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I'm aware this is not an everyday post, but I'm hoping some of you experts could help with this.
Beginning of June, Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez went missing in Byron Bay, Australia. Police has no clue at all, and there is not much being done anymore.
His father Laurent is a good friend of mine and we are looking into searching a cliff with climbers for any possible traces.
Theo had his phone with him, as seen on camera footage, and Laurent hopes it is still there in case he fell down.
The slope is not very steep. See attached pictures.
It has been a few months now so chances are small to none finding anything.. or that has not been covered by rocks or sand.. but that is all we got.

Any other way you guys know of we could find this somehow? Do drones with ground penetrating radar exist?

Thx..

Eric

View attachment 1769745 View attachment 1769747

Hi , You didn,t mention the REWARD ? Most of what your saying is from media reports and not reliable . I doubt what your saying about the whole investigation . Media , Podcasters and now reward seekers have the best interests of a tragedy or their own pockets? Lots of new concerned persons . Do not encourage others to risk their lives , emergency workers have families too. FW TP

For 5 months volunteers , locals , emergency services and a major police investigation was conducted with no reguard to expense . Thousands of hours . WTF ungrateful and insulting

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eric81

Nov 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , You didn,t mention the REWARD ? Most of what your saying is from media reports and not reliable . I doubt what your saying about the whole investigation . Media , Podcasters and now reward seekers have the best interests of a tragedy or their own pockets? Lots of new concerned persons . Do not encourage others to risk their lives , emergency workers have families too. FW TP

For 5 months volunteers , locals , emergency services and a major police investigation was conducted with no reguard to expense . Thousands of hours . WTF ungrateful and insulting

Where did you read anything about a reward? I never heard of such thing, but I'm not in Australia, I'm in Belgium.
You can doubt all you want, I'm looking into this for Laurent who is the father of Theo.
I do not want anybody to risk their lives, I'm not asking anyone to go there, I'm asking information about what is detectable.

Please think twice before posting your comments..

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Eric,

My computer went down so I am a little behind with this post.

Your first post kept going over and over in my mind,.........

I know a man here in the states that knows more about missing persons than anyone in the country.

I was going to ask you a few questions about Theo then consider some of this mans past findings.

The mans name is "David Paulides",... he wrote the book,... Missing 411.
(he has since more, a series of books on the missing"

Then I read this
https://10daily.com.au/news/australi...-teen-20190625

Then, it hit me.

I hate to mention this,........

We here in the states have had too many to mention,.... handsome young man,....
last seen leaving,.... etc.

Many, many, many,...... all the same.

At the recovery scene very often, "a happy face at or nearby"

They are known here as the Happy Face Murders.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to post links to David's books, and his profile on Wiki.

But it's best if you check for your self.

Then, as much as it pains me, check into what the investigation into
the Happy Face Murders has yielded so far.
Nothing really, possibly one of the biggest cover ups known to date.

Last I heard, two retired detectives became fed up and are going where
ever the evidence leads.

Truth is they have put a target on their backs.

So far it looks like an elite secret club of sorts.

I wish I could post links to what I have followed over the last few years,......

But, one of these guys may click on it, see some advertising, and call me a spammer.
(again)

Here are the search terms so you can follow up on this info.

David Paulides
Missing 411

Happy Face Murders

PS: Even if miles away, the bodies are always found in or by water.
Also, more than a few had large doses of GHB in their system.

I am so dam sorry to lay this out like this.
But I am just trying to piece this together based on what I have already
been paying attention to for the last few years.

I hope I'm altogether and completely wrong.

All my best,.......

SanMan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread