Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't used the Max, but I am satisfied enough with the Nox 600 that I don't need any more of the market's current machines.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda like going with the old science or new science. go with the NOX. The MAX is like the old AT pro with a couple added features.

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the Max for about a month as my first "upgrade" detector. I found quite a lot with it...but realized pretty much everything was shallow and modern. I did some air tests with bad results, called garrett and reported my results and they said my unit was defective. They were a pleasure to deal with and sent me a label to send it in for a free replacement (not repaired or refurbished)! Well, during the wait...i broke down and bought a nox 800......im still going over the same few sites and still finding deeper & older stuff. I havent even opened the the new Max they sent me. Very satisfied with the 800. Im not knocking Garrett or the AT Max....Great company, customer service, & detector, as i believe mine was defective.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know anything about the AT Max. All I can say, is I have the Nox 800 and I'm happy with it.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I didn't have an XP Deus I would get the 800. My buddy has one and it is a great machine.

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have the NOX 800. Nice but VDI and sound nuances to tight. Volume without headphones is horrible on a slight breeze then when you pinpoint, everyone around you is disturbed. Super loud. Looking at DEUS to upgrade.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both.

Nox all the way.

I’m serious.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait till spring for the new machines to hit the market.

crumpinator

Nov 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also had my first real "upgrade" as an AT Max coming from an Ace 250 :laughing7:. I had used the AT Max for about 2 weeks, got lucky and found a gold ring on the beach (dry sand) and couldnt manage to find anything in the wet sand due to high quantities of black sand. I figured I could sell the AT and the ring I found and buy a multi-frequency detector, and ended up getting the Equinox 800... Wow what a difference. I massively prefer the equinox over the AT Max in almost every condition to detect. Being a multi-frequency detector, it can go to areas the AT Max will struggle including metallic beaches and highly mineralized soil. Definitely if you have the money, upgrade to the equinox! It will pay itself off in no time!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the NOX 800. Nice but VDI and sound nuances to tight. Volume without headphones is horrible on a slight breeze then when you pinpoint, everyone around you is disturbed. Super loud. Looking at DEUS to upgrade.

Funny, I have the same complaint about my Deus. Volume is weak except in pinpoint mode. Then it will wake the dead! But, that is the only complaint I have and I am hard of hearing so that may also have something to do with it.

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i don't want to be the only one peeing into the Nox campfire, but I am not that impressed with the 600. Granted i am new to the machine, but it is definately not the same build as a Garrett machine.broken pieces after one day... There are so many possible options and settings.. And depth, well i'm not sure there has been any significant leap forward in how deep you will find trash ..as in reality it discrminates the same as any machine ie;, randomly..
Coil is super sensitive too, i mean having to turn it down to less than half it's sensitivity(to stop falsies) is counter productive, as sensitivity equals depth, as far as i know..
I'm obviously sticking with the Equinox for now, but if , as stated above, there could be new kit arriving in spring, i would hold off until then..

Just my two cents

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Druid, let's see, you've had your Nox for less than two weeks and you're whining about it. You will not really understand it until you have over a hundred hours using it and that may not be enough. 16 sensitivity on your Nox is still better than any setting on an Ace 250, and multi freq rules in any mineralized soil. Just because you cross-thread your cuff screw in doesn't mean the machine is cheaply made. I think perhaps you are just not cut out for a Minelab user, they are HARD to learn without a doubt. I began with a Garrett nearly fifty years ago and stayed with Garrett for years, still have them and use them, but when it comes to straight out performance Minelab multi frequency rules in my area. When I got my Safari, I was amazed at how little I knew about using it when I had nearly forty years of detecting experience with other machines. I thought something was wrong with the machine, there was only something wrong with me. Once I learned to lower sensitivity and use the machine properly I found out how truly amazing the Minelab technology was. Going from Safari to Nox was much easier because I am already Minelab multi trained. Use patience and I am sure you will find your Nox an exceptionally useful detector, if not there are many other machines out there that may suit your needs better. I too run sensitivity at a low 16 on many trashy areas and believe me, it will still find a silver dime at 9". I can only run high sense in areas with less trash like field and woods hunting. I don't know of any mid range to high end machine that one can use full power in trashy areas on, even my ATP has trouble in trash at maximum sensitivity. Also remember "he who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff", there is no miracle discrimination, and many iffy signals can be good signals on any machine. By the way, when the ATP came out they had wobbly shaft issues and many had pinpoint issues that had to be addressed by Garrett's warranty department. I have also seen many broken cuffs and even housings on the ATP.

Hva, look at Calabash digger's video on ATP/Nox comparisons it is very informative. Max is just an ATP with backlighting and wireless phones technology, there is nothing new about it's detecting technology. Nox 800 will blow the Max out of the water when learned properly and can be used in areas the single frequency VLF Max or any other single frequency VLF will not work efficiently. The learning curve on the Nox is steeper than that of the Max to some folks but not to others. The Nox has the faster recovery speed and the Max has more coil options which I like, but I have given up my ATP for the 800 for most all hunting I do.

Last edited:

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i was just giving my view of the Nox, whether or not that falls into line with other peoples' views is irrelevant.
That is what opinions are all about...personal thoughts... and the OP did ask for opinions.
I did mention that i am new to the 'latest tech' and only about 20 hrs so far, but have found it quite underwhelming.
As someone mentioned already, a nice gold coin or big silver and i might sing a different tune, for it will have proved itself, but until that moment it remains an expensive, flimsier trash finder, to me.
Opinions can change, and i am willing to change, otherwise i wouldn't have bought the machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big silvers and gold coins demand a high price to be paid in advance. Decent machine, doesn't really matter which one as long as it works, a GOOD SITE everyone and his brother hasn't hit before, the hours and hours and hours required to dig lots of signals, and just getting the coil over the desired items. If its not there, you won't find it. Some days this hobby is a joy, some days it's just a headache.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread