NW Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lortone rock tumbler.

That's exactly what I have been using for 25 years. I have a double barrel. I try all kinds of different solutions but keep in mind, DO NOT have a single copper cent mixed with the nickels, dimes and quarters. It will turn everything goldish color.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A cheap $25 tumbler I bought at Toys-R-Us, all plastic and gear-driven, has served me well for ten years now.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Tumbler with detergent and my own crushed quartz. No acids. There is still exposed copper in the clad.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lortone rock tumbler with some very small pea gravel as the abrasive. I tumble all of my clad coins at the end of each year, and they are clean enough to take them to the bank and cash them in, so I can run and buy some silver.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

bulletproof002000

Nov 5, 2019
Big Spring Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info, I picked a double canister rock tumbler. I have already cleaned up $95 in clad, now just need to roll it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a rock tumbler, say 50 CLAD quarters, add lemon juice just enough to cover the coins, 2 teaspoons of table salt, and your rock stuff, I tumble them for two hours, take them outside and dump into a strainer, and give a good heavy rinse with the garden hose to remove all lemon and salt residue. All that red and brown clad comes out nice and kind of shiny, the lemon/salt thing I learned from another T-Net member some time ago. When I said fifty quarters, I'm going on the idea of 100 pennies per tumbler, so to me, 100 pennies, say 75 nickels, 100 dimes, and my 50 quarters. Having said that, do not mix nickels with any dimes or quarters, you will have some dandy looking PINK nickels, I also keep a separate batch of rock material JUST for the nickels, because of any copper trace on the rock used for clad. to keep track of that, some years ago I ordered two bags of red and one bag of blue rock (blue for nickels) to run on a dual tumbler. OK then, what NOT to do. Do NOT use the lemon juice/salt with PENNIES. NO! I did that one time of course, and I believe with the lemon/salt/copper/zinc mix, I was cooking a bomb or something, that rubber tumbler barrel about turned into a little basketball ready to explode. I learned two important words, "chemical reaction". For the pennies I use a "Magic tumble clean" powder I order from a outfit called Finch Products. It works pretty good on the pennies. Two tablespoons of it with 1/2 cup water per 100 pennies. I run them 2 to 3 hours. But for the clad, the lemon/salt works way better. And there you have it. At least the way I do it. Works for me.

mdmike

Nov 4, 2004
i find that using citric acid alone... (similar to lemon juice?) that the clads took on a copper appearance from rubbing edges to faces... did your coins do the same?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rock tumbler with the usual mixture (lemon juice...etc.) of things. :occasion14:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use that Scott Murray tumbler pictured in my first post.

In it, well, take notes,.......

Aquarium gravel, water, some lemon juice, some vinegar, a couple of squirts of CLR,
coarse salt, and if want them really shiny I let them run for a long while with Bon Ami.

Aquarium gravel - Pet store

Lemon Juice --99¢ store
Coarse Salt --99¢ store
Vinegar ------99¢ store
Dish Soap----99¢ store
CLR ---------99¢ store
Bon Ami -----99¢ store

You can find stronger % vinegar than at the 99¢ store,....
But go for budget processing and use the $1 stuff.

The CLR is a copy of CLR, spray bottle looks the same.
But it is the knock off calcium-lime-rust stuff.
Works great for a buck.

The Bon Ami is actually a knock off too, look for some "soft scrub something"

For Clad:

I load up the drum so much water, so much ingredients, let it run for hours.

Open it up,.... the water is black.
I lay it in the sink and let the faucet pour water into the drum while stirring.

With the rinse done I give a look, if 90% look good, I stop there.

The 10% I put aside until I have a batch of coins that need more tumbling.

They go in with less water, Bon Ami, and a long stretch tumbling.
(good rinse after)

There are times that I add a short squirt dish washing liquid.

And every so often you have to do a good cleaning of the media, I use dish soap.

Pennies:

"Always run pennies by themselves"
Everything else, have at it.

The quick for pennies lemon juice, vinegar, coarse salt, and a little less water.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i find that using citric acid alone... (similar to lemon juice?) that the clads took on a copper appearance from rubbing edges to faces... did your coins do the same?

No, not at all. The clads came out very nice. Simple stuff to use, lemon juice, salt and your gravel....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock tumbler salt and lemon juice that's it gotta do pennies separate comes out very very clean

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread