Weirdest thing found while treasure hunting

bulletproof002000

Nov 5, 2019
Big Spring Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in March 2013 while searching a dry lake bed for fossils and arrowheads, I stumbled across human remains. The turned out to be the remains of a young girl from Colorado city Tx. She had been missing for 3 or so years, no one knows what happened for sure as of yet. Saying that, what is the Weirdest thing you ever found while treasure hunting?

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While hunting a Calvary camp along the plank rd at the battle of Chancellorsville that was now the site of a new subdivision, I came across a lot of human bones .
the Sheriff was called to the site by someone other than myself. all he did was put the bones in a trash bag and drove off .
he never did stop to talk to the any of the relic hunters on the site.

being right on the side of the road got the attention of every relic hunter and there brother , guys had campers set up with out of state tags the digging was so good.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dead body of a female who was murdered the night before (she was strangled) and dumped. After they were able to ID her, and found out she was a local drug user and prostitute, the investigation was minimal. The killer was never found. The situation of finding a dead body was not as unnerving as I thought it might be. Guess I watch to much ID Channel ! We all become so numb to situations.

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting an old churchyard with a friend once and found an odd shaped piece of brass that turned out to be an old coffin handle that had eroded out of a shallow grave we didn't know was there. That's about as close as I've gotten (and care to get!) to finding any bodies.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Was hunting in the woods on Civil War battle site in the Atlanta, GA area. Found a burlap bag filled with several different types of dried bean seeds. Saw some dollar bills sticking out of the pile. Scraped through it and found a total of $54 in one dollar bills. Guessing it had something to do with some vodo ritual. Had found other offerings there before on other detecting trips that had been dumped in the woods including a few headless chickens and a goat.

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Was hunting shallow water in the ocean a while back. Felt something brushing against the back of my Achilles heel. Don't know why I would find that worthy of notice since there was all sorts of flotsam, being I'm in the ocean. Yet, I looked back anyway. To my surprise was a $2 dollar bill. Now, ain't that queer?

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two years ago, I and a detecting buddy were asked by a police chief if we could assist in searching an area where body parts were just found. This person had been missing for two years and a deer hunter had just found some of the bones. We were attempting to finding a valuable watch and upon entering the woods, we were shown a very large area with markers that indicated where the bones were located.

We were unsuccessful in locating the watch and felt bad that the family wouldn't get this back.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a deceased female face down in a small lake in Roland Park, MD years ago.. authorities were called but I never knew the outcome.
I found a dead bull wedged between a narrow rock passage in a creek once in Albemarle County, Virginia.
Back in the late 1960's I found a horse skull with a US bit still in its mouth.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have found human bones a Skull. I was down in Vicksburg Ms and was digging a good signal when we came to a skull. The person i was with said we should just leave the place after covering it back up. We were hunting cannon shells. We were not in a cemetery nor in the national park. Just private land we had permission to hunt on. It was about 2 1/2 feet deep i might add!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I volunteered at parks... assisted in recoveries a few times.

I personally never found anyone but assisted in searches.

found a few animals over the years... once 2 massive pit bulls in rural backwoods... both shot.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading these made me think of some other odd finds . I found two pig heads along an abandoned railroad in Orange county Va and found a good size pot growing set up in the woods in Stafford Va .

finding the pot field scared the hell out of me, I did not want to be seen there by growers or the cops.
I got out of there through the thickest tangle of woods available ,I sure wasn't going to walk down the trail and risk being seen.
I've found many homeless camps and tried to leave unnoticed and hunt a different area.

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I once eyeballed a horse jawbone out of a creek next to my house. It was weird because I live in a very suburban area.
I also once got a little lead rose while detecting in a cemetery next to a church. Looking back I realized it was probably a casket ornament, and I can only hope that it fell off while the person was being buried.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 80's, I was digging the Brandywine Battlefield of PA. I got a signal which was a newish tin can, like a cat food can. In the hole was a roundish small bone, that reminded me of a human knee bone. I took it to an archaeologist I knew who identified it as human. It made no sense to re-inter it in a plowed field, all by itself and I gave it to the archaeologist.

A couple years ago I found a plastic skull in a tree hollow! THAT was exciting, at least for a moment.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dead bodies are at least safe, did anyone say squatch?

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting away from dead bodies. Many years ago, living in Calif. We had a substantial wet winter. I knew about an old gold mine in my area where I lived. I decided to try sluicing the little creek that was running along side, an old mill stone that was used to crush the ore from the mine. To my surprise, I started finding small placer gold. Even a bigger surprise, an 1878 Seated Liberty Dime also showed up in my sluice box... :hello2:

Attachments

• DSCN1406.jpg
    DSCN1406.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • DSCN1398.jpg
    DSCN1398.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was hunting shallow water in the ocean a while back. Felt something brushing against the back of my Achilles heel. Don't know why I would find that worthy of notice since there was all sorts of flotsam, being I'm in the ocean. Yet, I looked back anyway. To my surprise was a $2 dollar bill. Now, ain't that queer?

Just Neptune putting in his two cents, um, dollars, that is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread