Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cat, not the detectorist. True story and be prepared to laugh. The cat is not harmed. So...he has an ear infection and I am the sucker to give him drops twice a day. The other night, I got the drops in. So he plops himself in bed, for the umpteenth time next to my head to go to bed. There is always some cat emergency to distract him.

So I reached over to pet him. No biggie. He lets me do that now. So after the third pet he must have thought this was a dirty rotten trick to get more ear drops in. Well, it wasn't. So on the third pet he reaches out with all 10,000 claws and grabs my arm. I tell him, no, let go and reach over with the other arm to free myself. At which point he figured it was war because he nailed me with his second set of 10,000 claws while retracting the first set. At which point I was ready to smack him and he knew it!

Well, he moves faster than I do, jumps up out of bed and starts to tear off to a safer place so I won't smack him, and no, it would have been a light rebuff, nothing to hurt him. I smack mosquitoes much harder, just a dominance reminder.

He gets two cat steps away and blue fire jumps outta his butt, tail and rear legs! It was pitch black dark and he caused a static electric discharge which nailed him pretty good! The ball of blue and white I saw was about the size of a tennis ball! Musta zapped him pretty good. He didn't come back to bed that night, and yesterday morning was madder than a wet hen as I had put on my SuperCape and donned my Super Cat Lightning gonna get you superpowers and hadn't warned him! Who would have thought? Absolutely true. You can't make this stuff up!

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
07B16C4D-6B87-4DC4-A89D-B0DD9C565E58.jpeg
My new puppy was introduced to the cat (outside cat).
Although she tolerated my previous dog very well..she responded with a short hiss and walked off and sat with her back to me.

Can't quite understand the attraction of cats when we have dogs available to us..nearly every one born with the DNA to be a loyal friend for life. The cat and I take a short walk every day (to the barn and back). I say "The cat" because in her mind she belongs to no one. As long as I keep feeding her she will stick around and tolerate me.

I guess it might come down to the fact that some people are masters and others are mastered..;)

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOL! My cat got herself zapped a few times, but she'll just look at your hand funny, wondering what that was all about.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend’s cat was standing on the bed with front paws on the window around 4am. The cat didn’t like what it was seeing outside and my friend reached up to pet and pull him away from the window..... and poof! The cat shredded my friends face! He looked like Rocky Balboa!
Several years later they were having trouble with raccoons in the chicken coop.... so my friend and his brother took a 12 ga and a jug of wine up on the coop roof and waited for the bandits. Sure enough couple hours later and most of the wine, a lone raccoon came up the driveway. Blam! Took care of that problem. They went to get the raccoon and rut row.... it was his wife’s cat! Told the wife they got a raccoon. So tell SmokeyCat he was lucky with just a zap. He he

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like he might have used up one of his lives!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was a stray at birth. My brother took him in but my brother died when the cat was 3. The neighbor wanted to catch and euthanize him. I did NOT euthanize the neighbor! He had a mast cell tumor right on his eyelid which was cancer. He's used up a couple lives for sure. He's 12 now.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have experienced a similar response from my previous cat. I remember seeing some light sparks on and around the cats ears while rubbing their head. I would say that Smokey felt a few small little zaps before the clawing occurred?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think Smokey is mad anymore. He has regained top cat spot on HIS bed. If I don't go to bed on time, he cries.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cat, not the detectorist. True story and be prepared to laugh. The cat is not harmed. So...he has an ear infection and I am the sucker to give him drops twice a day. The other night, I got the drops in. So he plops himself in bed, for the umpteenth time next to my head to go to bed. There is always some cat emergency to distract him.

So I reached over to pet him. No biggie. He lets me do that now. So after the third pet he must have thought this was a dirty rotten trick to get more ear drops in. Well, it wasn't. So on the third pet he reaches out with all 10,000 claws and grabs my arm. I tell him, no let go and reach over with the other arm to free myself. At which point he figured it was war because he nailed me with his second set of 10,000 claws while retracting the first set. At which point I was ready to smack him and he knew it!

Well, he moves faster than I do, jumps up out of bed and starts to tear off to a safer place so I won't smack him, and no, it would have been a light rebuff, nothing to hurt him. I smack mosquitoes much harder, just a dominance reminder.

He gets two cat steps away and blue fire jumps outta his butt, tail and rear legs! It was pitch black dark and he caused a static electric discharge which nailed him pretty good! The ball of blue and white I saw was about the size of a tennis ball! Musta zapped him pretty good. He didn't come back to bed that night, and yesterday morning was madder than a wet hen as I had put on my SuperCape and donned my Super Cat Lightning gonna get you superpowers and hadn't warned him! Who would have thought? Absolutely true. You can't make this stuff up!

It sounds like Karma got him.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My thoughts exactly. Maybe refer to it as "Blue Karma"!:thumbsup:

Absolutely love it. Top cat reminder you didn't even have to administer.

That is the point. Owner was trying to help him out giving medicine. And what happened? Smokey Da Thug Cat attacked! Laid into his poor helpful owner. Thuggy the cat is more like it.. LOL

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was a stray at birth. My brother took him in but my brother died when the cat was 3. The neighbor wanted to catch and euthanize him. I did NOT euthanize the neighbor! He had a mast cell tumor right on his eyelid which was cancer. He's used up a couple lives for sure. He's 12 now.

I'm sorry about your brother. Sounds like you stepped up and did the right thing.
Don't get me wrong - I recognize the limited partnership that cats and their owners share.
The bond can be strong as human to human. Dogs are just so superior.
(Trying hard to turn this into a ford vs. chevy topic).

Heck my 10 week old puppy I just met has already tried to help me dig up a mystery target while metal detecting.
Challenge your cat to do that without involving..well enough said.

The signal was a large iron signal under a large rock that I couldn't budge using a rock hammer...what could it be?
Smashed can? An old shovel..will find out tomorrow once I bring out the digging bar.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was feral when I got him. I got him in July 2010. He went to the basement and stayed there until November. I knew he wasn't dead because the food disappeared and the cat box got filled and there was no bad smell, but I only saw him a few times in that time frame. About Thanksgiving, I woke up in the middle of the night and he had crept upstairs after dark and was sitting in the bedroom just staring at me. He did this quite a bit, but I never saw him otherwise.

Christmas morning, some stupid hour like 3 am or so my daughter and son in law arrive from Montreal. It scared the cat so bad he jumped in the bed with me! Some crazy people invaded his house! And then he realized he was in bed with me! And he freaked over that! Couldn't figure out what to do.

Now after nine years I can pet him and pick him up. Without getting mutilated, he's still scared of being picked up, but tolerates it. He's funny now. He sits on the dresser next to my bed and as you all know the only PROPER way to get into bed with the crazy cat lady is to wiggle your butt just so to get your footing and JUMP over crazy lady's head and get into your spot in the bed. Stage 2 is to whine until you get a "good boy" and quick pet, for security reasons of course.

Lazy sometimes just steps on my head to get into bed.

Imaudigger, the one cat I had was a one cat personal security system. He's rip the snot out of any stranger who came in the house, just for the halibut! We had to lock him up if a service guy came over.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Cat" is a rescued half feral cat. It does not mind being around but hates being picked up or touched.
We just have an understanding that I won't do that but once in awhile.

My grandfather lived alone in a pretty remote area after my grandma passed away. He developed a bond with a 100% feral cat full of piss and vinegar.
They had a very fragile relationship. The cat had a hard time resisting its instincts most of the time but would end up sleeping on his chest at night. First light it was back to being wild. He ended up caring for that cat more than himself after dementia started affecting him. The extreme wild feral instinct never went away. It might have well have been a wild bobcat or mountain lion. There's more to the story, but I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey got out about a year and 3 months after I got him. Zoomed out the door. He wouldn't come back. I got a haveaheart trap. He fooled it, got the food and left. I got a bigger one. Same thing. I got a HUGE one. Got a opossum. And another cat. Got frustrated.

Put out a set of live feed security cameras. My daughter suggested a drop style trap. Didn't work. So I got one specifically designed for something like a cat.

So...I was watching the three cameras one day. I done seez da cat coming across the street. Then he comes to the bottom of the deck steps and stop. Then he comes to the top of the steps and stops. Then he goes over to the new trap. And stops. Smart cat. He goes in it and sniffs at the food. And goes back to the steps. Repeat! Repeat! Then he gets in the trap and starts eating. I'm 25 or so feet away and pull the rope holding the peg and caught the beast. I got him inside. He seemed unhappy, so I opened the door the next am and said, you want to be an outside cat, there it is! Go for it. He went back to my bed and never wanted to go outside again.

Guess who's crying for me to go to bed now?

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So I reached over to pet him. No biggie. He lets me do that now. So after the third pet he must have thought this was a dirty rotten trick to get more ear drops in. Well, it wasn't. So on the third pet he reaches out with all 10,000 claws and grabs my arm. I tell him, no let go and reach over with the other arm to free myself. At which point he figured it was war because he nailed me with his second set of 10,000 claws while retracting the first set. At which point I was ready to smack him and he knew it!

The wife and me had to wipe tears of laughter out of our eyes! Thanks for the good laugh!:icon_thumright:

Zippidy~Do~Daa

Aug 24, 2019
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way you wrote that...I can picture it so well. You could write books. Happy to hear Smokey has forgiven you:)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do write books. My daughter is in real life a famous six figure a year author! I bought another one of her books and it's coming today. Quicker to get them off Amazon or Barnes and Nobles than directly from her.

I'm half working on a funny cat story book, but it will be 2020 or 2021 before its done. I have a publisher, and graphic artist and database of clients.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions