Coins on a gravestone

bulletproof002000

Nov 5, 2019
Big Spring Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While paying respects to a fallen veteran the other day, I placed a Dime on his gravestone. A young lady watched me do so, and her curiosity caused her to ask me why. I explained the tradition and bid her good day. It started me thinking that few non-military people know of the age old tradition. As I teach World history at a local high school, I decided to give a short lesson to my students on the subject. They were very intrigued and responsive to the lesson, and now i wanted to share with any who care on Treasure net.

These coins have distinct meanings when left on the headstones of those who gave their life while serving in America's military, and these meanings vary depending on the denomination of coin. A coin left on a headstone or at the grave site is meant as a message to the deceased soldier's family that someone else has visited the grave to pay respect. A penny at the grave means simply that you visited. A nickel indicates that you and the deceased trained at boot camp together, while a dime means you served with him in some capacity. By leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the soldier when he was killed. Money left at graves in national cemeteries and state veterans cemeteries is eventually collected, and the funds are put toward maintaining the cemetery or paying burial costs for indigent veterans.

Just wanted to share, thanks for reading.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank You! US Army 1973-'76 1/41 FA:icon_thumleft:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for telling the kids. Sometimes they don't find good information like this in a book. Not detecting but walking a cemetery I once found an early 1800s large cent on the ground next to a tombstone. Shoved it about 3 inches into the dirt so it could stay with the deceased. Good karma...

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating stuff Bullet! I have seen coins on graves but never understood why. That is really cool info that I, like the fellow above, would’ve never learned otherwise. Thanks!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for explaining this. Now i have visited a Jewish cemetery and seen stones placed on gravestones. Does anyone know what this means ?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing that. When I see a vet's grave I leave a penny. I've heard about stones on Jewish gravestones and remember there is a reason. On some of my Native American friends graves they leave seashells, I'm not sure of the reason for that though. And on Buffalo Bill's grave on Lookout Mountain, there's all kinds of change, but I never knew the reason for it. (And do not throw anything on Elvis' grave, believe me.)

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years ago I was in Fall River Ma. and went to find Lizzie Borden's grave with my mom. The grave was covered in coins. I looked it up and it seems like some people do it to ask a favor of the dead. In her case and given her history it made me wonder what kind of favors people were looking for. You know there were probably some sinister wishes going on there.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I am old enough to know what the coins mean, since you are a History Teacher, I'm glad you took the time to teach or explain it to the younger generation. This is just my personal opinion, but I think history to this upcoming generation is an Iphone 8 ! History was my favorite subject in school, and back then, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to have learned what I did. That's another reason why I enjoy this hobby so much. I try to research every item that I find, and learn about it.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting information..is this the tradition you were taught by family? I'm just wondering if this is an old military tradition that is uniform across the country or if it is regional with varying meanings?

I have visited a few local rural cemeteries and can't say I ever saw the majority of the military graves having change on the headstones.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, this is some thing I had no idea about....

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, I had never heard that.

I visited Cy Young's grave once, there were 2 baseballs, and handfulls of change there. I added some change, assuming it was simply to show respect...

OP
OP
B

bulletproof002000

Nov 5, 2019
Big Spring Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were taught the tradition while in boot camp, and again in tech school. I was Air Force Para-rescue, so there were all kinds of traditions and superstitions that were learned. We were told that it goes all the way back to the Roman soldiers.

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600|Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is really interesting. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions