Relic Hunter? Treasure Hunter? Amateur Archaeologist?

kiara

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
K

kiara

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone posted on another thread:

Detectorist is a good all around reference, no matter what people detect for.
Treasure hunter gives the wrong impression.
Relic hunter is fine for those that only detect relics.
We are NOT archeologists so that would give a false impression.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a coin shooter but any science interests me: archeology, anthropology, paleontology, entomology, zoology, biology, etc.

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go by Treasure Hunter as I am most interested in jewelry on the beaches and coins. I think it is all up to you and how detecting makes you feel/what you do with it. I get jokingly ribbed for being the "old guy with the metal detector" by my friends to which I shoot right back "How many of you have found gold? I'm a successful Treasure Hunter".

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider myself a relic hunter because I also look for artifacts that can't be found with a metal detector.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a finder of lost things and believe me, it's not all treasure...

OP
OP
K

kiara

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! But what differentiates a treasure hunter from a relic hunter? I mean aren’t all treasures relics and all relics treasure? What relics can’t be found without a detector? All I can think of is coins, jewelry, mini-hoards/dumps etc-all metal.

OP
OP
K

kiara

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BillA doesn’t that term have a lot of negative press? Looter sounds so bad, and relic hunter sounds more like Indiana Jones.

OP
OP
K

kiara

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trokair-I think treasure hunter sounds wayyyyy cooler than metal detectorist.

OP
OP
K

kiara

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie p. Because of you interest in science would you consider yourself an amateur archaeologist? A friend in the uk said that term was super popular over there. Because they work more closely with detectorists and have a relationship detectorists are sometimes invited to help on digs etc. I guess they kinda see themselves are educated in methodology, excavation techniques etc and have more knowledge than the average person in the hobby. I guess like an archaeological groupie? ����

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear the term "relic hunter" like a badge of honour, like it's something I graduated from.

You see, as a coin hunter, I spent years of discriminating targets and sites. They build fancy detectors for coin hunters because they hate digging junk and want to cherry pick coins only.
They will find copper and silver relics because of digging high tones in the coin range. Never dug anything in the ferrous range and would be sick to my stomach if I saw rust in the hole!

A beach hunter will go to the beach and dig everything because they know that gold falls in the pull tab/foil range and a fine chain could even be close to the ferrous range.
Hopefully, there's less junk at the beach than most green spaces and one will put in the work to strike gold.
A beach hunter uses way less discrimination than a coin hunter and is willing to dig junk more frequently.

A relic hunter has a quest to dig at least all non-ferrous at their sites because they know that buttons, badges, and a wide range of artifacts fall below the coin range.
They use the same work ethic as a beach hunter digging a lot of junk but are content as long as the junk is old and know a nice keeper or two will come out of those junk signals.
A relic hunter will still easily dig up coins and jewellery if they are present and will even dig those iffy signals, knowing it could be non-ferrous mixed with iron.
At really old sites, I will dig larger ferrous signals and if the soil is kind, even dig up beautiful rose-head nails!
I have converted coin hunters into relic hunters after they saw the crazy axes, knives, and gun parts that are ferrous coming out of the soil.
A relic hunter also has trained eyes and can spend hours eye-balling metal finds where they dumped garbage long ago or finding non-metal artifacts like prehistoric stone implements in fields and shorelines.

Arrow head hunters are more likely "artifact hunters" than relic hunters but I am both and use the relic hunter title but I spend a lot of time coin hunting as well.

If you know anyone here that gets a permit to detect historic sites and spend hours graphing soil stratospheres, flagging finds only to excavate in a square, gridding every find slowly and tediously while recording every fish and rodent bone with plant seeds and a few berry pits......Then you could call them an amateur archaeologist.

Everyone has their own idea of what treasure is but we're ALL looking treasure in some form or another, so that makes us all treasure hunters! :headbang:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually just say "I love digging dirt for goodies" if they ask what kind Ill say anything old and neat....

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider myself a "Sophisticated junk collector" !! No, really, I use the term Metal Detecting Hobbyist. It works well.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! But what differentiates a treasure hunter from a relic hunter? I mean aren’t all treasures relics and all relics treasure? What relics can’t be found without a detector? All I can think of is coins, jewelry, mini-hoards/dumps etc-all metal.

Some examples of relics that can't be found with a detector would include bottles, native American artifacts and fossils.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie p. Because of you interest in science would you consider yourself an amateur archaeologist? A friend in the uk said that term was super popular over there. Because they work more closely with detectorists and have a relationship detectorists are sometimes invited to help on digs etc. I guess they kinda see themselves are educated in methodology, excavation techniques etc and have more knowledge than the average person in the hobby. I guess like an archaeological groupie? ����

Well, I'm certainly not a professional. I find coins but it is not my primary source of income by any stretch. I guess in the same way I consider myself an amateur fisherman because no one pays me to go fishing. I just enjoy it and occasionally eat my catch.

However, you can put me down as a professional scientist/ecologist because I get paid to keep a water reclamation plant running. My degree is in human(organizational) behavior . . . of all things. Weird science for sure. Though I do have a technique for where to concentrate a search when using my detector and I keep a log of results. Both valid scientific methods.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, You left mutants and unusual species off the list .TP

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
BillA doesn’t that term have a lot of negative press? Looter sounds so bad, and relic hunter sounds more like Indiana Jones.

looting implies theft, but if no owner ?
or if the owner does not act in their interest ?

and how one makes their living has often nothing to do with their hobbies or activities
I worked as an engineer, that does not make me a mining engineer when I shake a gold pan.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread