Your First Big Silver or Gold Coin, did it surprise you?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first was a Walker and I was kind of in shock as it set in. My wife said that she heard me from over a hundred yards away say "HOLY COW!" After so many near misses with tokens and other things that had fooled me in the mud and dirt, I wasn't sure for a moment if it was even real or not. But it kicked in and boy was I a happy guy. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever find one.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first "Big Silver" was also a Walker, and what really shocked me was the fact that I stabbed her dead center with my digger. I learned to be a lot more careful after that episode. But yeah, it was still exciting.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good topic DL! Mine was also a Walker. I was detecting a park that was adjacent to a school yard in 1979. The park had never been detected. There were Mercs everywhere. I kind of took them for granted then and decided to walk over to the entrance to the school.

There was a large pine tree by the door and I thought maybe someone lost a coin when the tree was much smaller so I shoved the coil under the lowest branch towards the trunk and got a good signal on my Garrett Groundhog. It was a 42 Walker only down about two inches. Won't ever forget that one. It started to sleet so I headed for the picnic shelter in the park. The dirt under the shelter's roof was loaded with silver too.

I think I went home with over twenty silver coins that day and won't forget that day ever!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
my first silver was 1942 D Washington. I flipped back the plug and saw the silver rim

Whimsymaker

Jul 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about 11 years ago in Old Chico, Montana.
Late 1800s Morgan near an old schoolhouse.
was totally shocked. Gave it to the land owner. Did not have to but I wanted to.....He gave me permission to hunt there and I brought my kids. Thought that alone was well worth more than a Morgan.
prior to that, it has mainly been washington quarters and silver dimes.

Last edited:

relic$hunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2006
Denham Springs
Detector(s) used
MineLab’s
XP Deus
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been a very Long time ago but it is a 1857 Seated half dollar not sure on mint Mark had hole though it right where the bottom of the eagle is. Found it at a new debri spot at the time from Civil war period.
plowed Cain field that had been rained on the week before. It was sitting on top like a black Oreo.
picked it up wiped the tarnish off a little and the hair stood up on my arms. Great feeling that’s hard to explain! Liked to passed out! Lol
Its been around my neck ever since. I want to say around 2008?

I very rarely take it off ever unless I want to display the eagle instead of the seated side.
I really believe it has changed my luck for the better.
found a 1855 O half last week.
but for me finding seated half’s are like finding hens teeth.

AKA
La Relic Hunter

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My First "BIG" silver coin was an 1879 Morgan Dollar because I don't consider quarters to be big. The Morgan was definitely a surprise. My first (and only) gold coin was the biggest surprise of my 37 years of metal detecting.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When the wife found her Franklin, she suddenly got quiet as she stared at it. Then she slowly rubbed the dirt off of it and turned it over to see the other side. Then I heard her finally take a breath as she turned to me with huge eyes and held it out for me to see. She said that she had to make sure that it was a real coin but when she realized that it was real, she remembered to breath LOL. She couldn't shut up for a couple of days as she kept reliving the moment.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first large silver coin found was a 1923 -S Peace Dollar - I thought it was a smashed beer can and stuck it pretty good with a screwdriver !

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First gold - I literally sat down and cried like a baby!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
013F4B01-9B09-4423-851A-5EE78AFEC154.jpeg
I was digging everything, and had many many soda And beer cans

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first coin that I found was a 1882 Morgan just twenty minuets after picking up my detector. This was back in 1976.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first Morgan surprised the heck out of me, as I was in a field and thought it was just going to be a big piece of junk metal. My first gold coin really surprised me, because it was a gold colored sweepstakes coin the same size as a $20.00 gold piece, that I found in a yard ! Boy that was a bummer

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first big silver was a 1841 seated half. Surprised the crap outta me, as well as because it came with 4 or 5 largies in a spill.....in an old logging camp.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug my first Morgan in a 4-acre field behind a large old Catholic Church, picnic area that had been used for well over 120 years.
This spot had been detected by others for decades. Was an odd trashy signal, coin was three inches deep. Came out of the ground a rusty brown, slightly pitted. There were doubts of authenticity when I posted pics...after a bit of harsh cleaning it was determined that the big dollar was scorched in the fire of 1905, the church had later been rebuilt.

This was about 2012. Strangely enough, the Priest there had given me permission to hunt the gated cemetery across the street. I politely declined.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread