OK, lets see who has good imagery interpretation skills!!!

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, let's see who has good imagery interpretation skills!!!

I know this forum is really meant for detector finds but since I'm not in a part of the world where I can hunt, this is my "Best Find" today. I hope that I'm not stepping on any moderators' toes by posting this here.

I found a cool mapping site that was listed on the "X Marks The Spot" forum by another member, so out of curiousity I wanted to see who had some scary imagery interpretation skills. Hopefully after this quiz I can make a few of you drool over this spot. I haven't found a whole lot here. I've only found a NY Militia coat button and a 1937 Wheatie. But there has GOTTA be some Seated, Barbers, V Nickels, IH's, (maybe) some 2 and 3 cent pieces, and quite possibly even some Morgans and gold coins. As far as I know, I am the only guy who's hunted this. But heck, it's 40 acres so even if it's been hit plenty before it is still FAR from hunted out. I am currently the ONLY person who has permission to be in here to the best of my knowledge.

So here's the quiz. What do you see in the picture? Sorry, the only prize is that you get to envy the potential of what can be found here. Don't worry though, if you ever hunt with me we WILL be hitting this spot!!

Anyway, feel free to edit the pic by adding your own overlays and reposting. I will post my edited pic in a few days.

HH,
-SgtSki

Attachments

• a huntin\' spot2.JPG
    a huntin\' spot2.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 823
OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I admit it....I'm Polish

Danimal said:
uhhh...what pic? :-[ ???

Sorry Danimal....I just fixed it

OOPS

-SgtSki

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Re: OK, let's see who has good imagery interpretation skills!!!

All I see is if you rotate the image clockwise 90 deg it looks like the profile of a boxer's head, ( that's boxer, as in the dog).

OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DJ_Quinn said:
All I see is if you rotate the image clockwise 90 deg it looks like the profile of a boxer's head, ( that's boxer, as in the dog).
LOL...you're right, it DOES, doesn't it?

Not quite what I'm going for though but very funny...I didn't notice that until I tried it myself.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Well its as plain as day to me....Obviously its an alien and mammoth wooly worms landing strip .

Attachments

• Alien and wooly worm landing strips.JPG
    Alien and wooly worm landing strips.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 773
OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gypsyheart said:
Well its as plain as day to me....Obviously its an alien and mammoth wooly worms landing strip .

LOL.....nope but part of your (very cool, by the way) interpretation effort DID capture part of what I want to see if people catch.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm not even going to attempt to do overlays but it looks like an old road or path running parallel to the road way. About a 1/4 inch to the left toward the top of the picture. An old homestead down to the bottom left corner of the picture and there seems to be a foundation or something man made to the right of the grass or dirt strip about two inches down from the top of the picture and around an inch in.

Or it could just be nothing....My eyes are getting too old for this...

Good luck with the spot.

NJ

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My interpretation.

I have no idea, but I'd like to know what this post is driving at as far as info that may help us in finding something, rather than playing a game.

OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ResearchandRecovery said:
Close on the trees, they are pines that were actually planted in 1932 by the local High School's FFA. Like Gypsy, the outline that you are calling a dried-up pond actually follows some of the main feature of this hunting spot.

I have traced the parts of both yours and gypsy's outlines in red over the areas that you actually hit. I will repost your pics and anyone else's when I reveal the answer to what this location is. I plan on doing that on Friday unless someone get's reeeeally close before then while I'm calling home. It's 7:55PM here in Iraq which makes it 10:55 AM in Michigan so I'll call home and see what anyone comes up with in the meantime.

If you tried a guess already, feel free to guess again if you like.....

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If I squint and unfocus my eyes, and I've been drinking heavily and standing on my head, I might see the image of a skull. Hmmm..that's giving me an idea for this evening ;D

rcawdorswife

Aug 26, 2007

An old Indian reservation next to a Christmas tree farm with trails leading to water. ???

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

its a huntin spot

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

I clearly see two fence row type lines ( an old live stock pen / holding area?)-- the tree farm is easy to see -- below the live stock area is a whitish building type area ---where your "finds" found near there perhaps? seems to be a trail or creek just below the "whitish building area" -- the cleared land behind the building area and the power lines was most likely farm land ---thats my take on it -- Ivan

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

I'd be scared to hunt there!

Attachments

• index666.php.jpg
    index666.php.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 676

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro

I see what could be the outline of an old oval horse track, maybe a half mile track - maybe a fairground?

OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BINGO!!!!

DougF said:
I see what could be the outline of an old oval horse track, maybe a half mile track - maybe a fairground?

Doug got it!!!! It's a 40-acre fairground that was used from 1880-1905. It had a 1/2 mile clay track and a large wooden grandstand on the south straightaway. From the ground you can still see the slightly banked curves.

This place hasn't been used since 1905 and is private property. As far as I know from the owners, I have exclusive access to this spot. I have written permission and I'm allowed to bring partners with me.

The down side is that the years of grasses growing and dying and growing and dying has left quite a thick layer of organic debris above the dirt. I think next time that I'm in there I'll stick in the wooded parts and try that.

Anyway here's my pics and the pics of everyone's guesses. I outlined the parts of the track that everyone actually hit in a different color than they used:

Attachments

• a huntin\' spot2.JPG
    a huntin\' spot2.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 591
  • ResearchandRecovery\'s Guess.jpg
    ResearchandRecovery\'s Guess.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 583
  • Gypsy\'s Guess.jpg
    Gypsy\'s Guess.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 585
  • a huntin\' spot revealed.JPG
    a huntin\' spot revealed.JPG