is there any advantages to being a lone wolf detectist

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I was wondering what are the advantages of detecting alone if any or come to that the disadvantages.

I often go out as a lone wolf just after watching any van dam movie it gives me time a lone to figure out why his films always have some implausible reason for his accent the last one I saw he was raised by a load of nuns in some Belgian nun place. Well anyway I was going to call myself lone wolf hunter but thought there might be another lone wolf hunter already here so then. I thought LWH but that didn't strike me as being catchy enough after several sleepless nights and numerous beers the it came to me like a bolt out of the blue strike it rich hence the name unfortunately it got misspelled as stike it rich due to said beer thank goodness for the change profile thingy.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're HILARIOUS! I like hunting with a buddy, but it depends on the site. When I'm out trying to pinpoint a CW camp or an old house site, it is good to have a buddy along. (The mind starts playing tricks on you when you're there alone..."It has to be here somewhere!" or "Why the HELL aren't I getting lots of iron hits by now??!!") With a detectin' buddy, two machines = twice the ground covered in the same amount of time. (Walkie talkies optional ;D) On small yards, I prefer to go it alone--there just isn't enough room for two detectors on a small yard.

Regards,

Buckleboy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
only one really * you keep 100% of what you find -- and of course theres no one to leak your spot to others or screw you over -- but theres lots of down side to solo hunting esp in remote areas no help if your hurt -- no one to share the joy of a find with --- guess it has a lot to do with the kind of person you are -- some folks hate everyone else in the world and want to be left "alone in their world" -- some like the company of folks and can't stand being alone -- and then theres the bulk of folks that like folks as a whole but still enjoy a few moments of "alone" time to clear the mind -- I belong to the third group but am very freindly and outgoing --- Ivan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose by always hunting alone you can stop at the bar for some refreshment instead of hunting and tell everyone of all the stuff you found. This way you also don't have to share the $$$ for the drinks.

I think it's more fun with a partner or two to watch your back in the rough places. Comparing finds is always fun and you have someone to back up your stories about the hottie on the beach that wanted to talk to you.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
For me its the solitude. I like having the time to myself. The same goes for fishing, hunting, hiking, etc... Cell phone turned off, no kids, go where I want when I want. If I want to move to another spot there is no discussion trying to convince someone else to go or being polite and staying if they want too.

Charlie

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a soloist most of the time, but when I get into that rugged terraine looking for those old house foundations...and I start sweating and my heart starts palpatating...I start thinking to myself...what if I had a heart attack right now! What if I slip and snap my leg?

I smoke, have the gravity gut, lost most of a lung....and here I am doing something stupid cause i'm addicted to some awesome hobby?

I'm working on getting someone else to go on these outings, both for safety and for fellowship.

But I still like my alone time if i'm not overexerting myself.
Al

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I always hunt alone almost everywhere. I don't think much about being jumped or assaulted; perhaps I am not smart enough to know to worry. I also don't hunt much in rough parts of town but when I do I just keep my eye open to my surroundings and everything works out well. I also used my large hunting knife to get the finds and I make no effort to hide it from view.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I try to never hunt alone. I think sharing the thrill of a good find is what this hobby is all about. That and I need Baldingboys pinpointer, I mean XLT to help me pinpoint what my Explorer finds. :D ;D

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Ever heard the saying "Better off alone than in bad company". But if it's good company, I'd have to say hunting as a team is more rewarding.

R

robert roy

I like hunting by myself but like someone else already said it depends on where you are. Sometimes it wise to have a buddy as backup if you get into trouble. ANY KIND of trouble, especially if your in the city in a bad area of town. Personally I just don't go there.

Robert Roy

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I usually hunt alone. I'm fine with hunting alone. I do have a buddy when I hunt in the north woods, he showed me my best spot. He is a bit intimidated by the minelab, but is more then happy to do the digging and pinpointing. Oh by the way, he is one of the few people that I can say that I actually admire.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
You die alone, you metal detected alone. Some people just choose to take others with them when they go. And, just like death, my wife will be there at the end of the hunt, nagging about something or other! Seriously, I sometimes like to swing a coil alone, just to get away from the Sheeple that occupy the earth. Other times I feel like knocking back a few cold ones with people like me (i.e. people who will wander aimlessly around a huge field for six or eight hours to find a pouch full of rusted metal, a few pieces of lead, and, if we are lucky, about 6 dollars worth of silver. I guess its best to share the addiction. WE are kinda like crackheads, we tend to congregate with our own kind. Though, thank the silver gods, there are far fewer TH'ers than crackheads.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always hunted with my brother. There was never any problems about a secret spot getting leaked. After moving to New Mexico I hunted alone until I finally made connections with another "nut". I just like company when I'm detecting.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
eh, i dont really prefer either. having an extra set of eyes around is nice to ward off dirtbags.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread