Finding info about a place in Missouri

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The Cherokees crossed the Ohio River into Illinois at Golconda. Their trek took them westward on the 19th Century version of what's now Route 146. They went through Vienna and Jonesboro and crossed the Mississippi at two different ferries. One was immediately west of Jonesboro at Willard Landing and the other was to the southwest opposite Bainbridge, Mo.

Bainbridge is located in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri

Bainbridge Ferry (Cherokee Trail of Tears MPS), Cty Rd. 630, Cape Girardeau vicinity

Bainbridge Ferry Road (Cherokee Trail of Tears MPS), Cty Rd. 623, Cape Girardeau vicinity
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
http://www.dnr.mo.gov/newsrel/nr04_120.htm
Also within the park is the Bainbridge Ferry Road that connected Green's Ferry with Bainbridge Ferry. Though the road has been abounded for years, track marks and road cuts can clearly be seen. The rural setting and rough nature of the roadbed provide some understanding of the trials of traveling in the 1830s.

Outside the state park, four additional Trail of Tears-related sites are being considered. Like Green's Ferry to the south, the Bainbridge Ferry in Cape Girardeau County carried several detachments of Cherokee across the Mississippi River. The first detachment of 365 crossed in November of 1837

////////////////////////////////////////////////

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Thanks Gypsey.

What you have is all I can find about this place. I found almost all the info you have in your post. It is close to where I live and I am trying really hard to find out additional info. An old picture would be great. I have been told by one of the older residents around here that at one point Bainbridge was a booming place. He told me there was a Post Office, Church etc.

Thanks again.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Bainbridge (Historical)
Located on private land east of Egypt Mills
Latitude & Longitude: 37°24'38" N, 89°26'13" W
Survey: T. 32 N., R. 14 E., Sec. 36
Elevation: 358
Civil township: Randol
USGS Quad: Ware
Founded: 1820 by Thomas Moselly, Jr., J. N. Cooper, Medad Randall, and Jenifer Sprigg

Map: 1857 Johnson (Bainbridge is apparently shown as "Birmingham")
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item.pl?data=/home/www/data/gmd/gmd406/g4061/g4061p/rr001240.sid&style=gmd&itemLink=r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g4061p+rr001240))&title=Johnson's%20new%20railroad%20and%20township%20copper-plate%20map%20of%20Illinois,%20Iowa,%20%26%20Missouri,%20from%20the%20latest%20and%20best%20authorities.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here's what I can locate....most of my searches come up with a Commodore Bainbridge...

Bainbridge; towns in Decatur County, Georgia and Chenango County, New York, and village in Ross County, Ohio. Named for Commander William Brainbridge, of the War of 1812 and the War with Tripoli. >>>nothing about Bainbridge, Missouri :()
(From the Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States.)

The community of Bainbridge on the Missouri Shore, was a major ferry crossing on the river in the early 1800's, however, only one building remains extant at this location. The originial shoreline of the Mississippi River and the ferry landing at Bainbridge are still visible despite some accretions of land which has shifted the existing riverbed. Those who crossed at Littleton's Ferry headed West from Bainbridge on a route to Egypt Mills. Here the route turns northward along a ridgeline to connect with the Green's Ferry Road. A section of the historic roadbed ofthe Bainbridge-Green's Ferry Road remains intact within the Trail of Tears State Park.
(http://www.nps.gov/archive/trte/TRTE/Trailword.pdf)

If I can locate any other info, I will post. Sorry I could not find much.

If you can find the historical society of the area, I bet they just might have old photos somewhere, or check with the library for any newspapers on microfilm.

Good Luck,
Annmarie

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bainbridge and Birmingham are not the same place.

Look on Yahoo maps. Bainbridge is still shown at the end of Rt. 630 east of Egypt Mills (although theres nothing the on the sat photos).

bainbridge.jpg

Check references for Littleton's Ferry and Smith's Ferry. Also look for stuff about Hamburg landing on the Illinois side.

bainbridgelittletonferry.jpg

It looks like alot of ground to cover with not many clues as to where you should start. And with nearly 200 years of river flooding... Good luck...

DCMatt

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Oh I know exactly where it is, I have been there. I am trying to establish history on the place and find some old photos. But I appreciate all the help you have provided.

rcawdorswife

Aug 26, 2007
here is more..

ape Girardeau county, Missouri: 1. Site: From 1784-1825, a large Indian village stood on a hill to the W of old Appleton. Relics and artifacts can be recovered in the region. 2. Ghost Town: Kurreville 3 ½ miles NW Millersville. 3. GT Sawyer on RR, 1 mile S Pocahontas. 4. GT Brainbridge on RR and Mississippi River, 5 miles SE Neelys Landing. 5. GT Egypt Mills 3 miles S (GT) Bainbridge. 6. GT Burfordville on W county line, 10 miles WSW Jackson. 6A). Site: Bollinger Mill is located on the Whitewater River on the E edge of Burfordville. It was an important spot in the pioneer days, attracting farmers from 100 miles away. During the Civil War, 2 engagements took place in this vicinity and relics are still located.Those are Ghost towns

RCW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread