🥇 BANNER Second Seminole Indian War Finds

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Antique whites TR-goldmaster

Under water model to be posted
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Col.Dan.
Fantastic finds and commendable work for others.
I know it's an older thread, but I was just curious if the anchor was ID'd in any way. If this was an inland lake, I was wondering what kind of craft that would be.
Thanks and keep up the good work.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
@Col.Dan.
Fantastic finds and commendable work for others.
I know it's an older thread, but I was just curious if the anchor was ID'd in any way. If this was an inland lake, I was wondering what kind of craft that would be.
Thanks and keep up the good work.

The Second Dragoons used small supply boats to navigate the lakes and rivers that run throughout Florida as shown below. Our research leads us to believe that this anchor was from one of those boats. Most all of our finds came from the vicinity where the anchor was found. We think that the boat sank or over turned spilling its contents on the lake bed. Obviously, we can't confirm this but the circumstantial evidence points in that direction.

Mackinaw Boat.jpg

Last edited:

sandfisherman

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2017
East Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Exuinox 800, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Also I might add to Col.Dan's reply that the inland like is connected and part or a major inland river system used for 100's of years as the primary way to travel and transport supplies.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
My hunting buddy, Sandfisherman, aka "Scary Hands" :laughing7: found this button Friday with his CTX 3030 at the Seminole Indian War site we've been working. He was in ankle deep water and the button was approximately 9 inches deep in the lake bed.

GB Button Dime.jpg

GB Button Front.JPG

GB Button Back.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
We've identified Sandfisherman's button!

Gary used his microscope and the President of the local historical society, who sponsors the museum where our finds are displayed, brought his extreme close up lens and between them, we were able to make out the lettering. I was then able to look up buttons made by Armitage and found the exact match as shown below. A great and most rewarding day all around.

The button was made by George Armitage of Philadelphia between 1810 - 1820. Gary, aka "Scary Hands" found a significant 200 year old artifact of that area and era.

A salute to my good friend and hunting buddy.

Armitage Button Verification.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Won't be going to the site anytime soon. We've had a lot of rain, the water level has risen significantly and the lake has been somewhat "angry."

The museum however, has reopened so if you visit Geneva, FL you can see our finds. :icon_thumleft:

Geneva Historical Museum

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Won't be going to the site anytime soon. We've had a lot of rain, the water level has risen significantly and the lake has been somewhat "angry."

The museum however, has reopened so if you visit Geneva, FL you can see our finds. :icon_thumleft:

Geneva Historical Museum

I know the EXACT Fort and area and amazing finds and have seen in the museum! Thank you for preserving this for future generations.

Are anymore volunteers needed on dates you do the hunts? I know this is a non-metal detecting area (per sign at entrance and ground keeper), but it is owned by the Museum society and you all have the permission clearly. FYI, I have as recently as the last month or two noticed individuals detecting there.

I have a few questions on this area and possible 411 and yes, noticed all the wood as well. I figured remains from the Fort somehow, however we all know the Fort was further set back and very interesting on the sunken boat theory as sounds accurate based on what I have seen.

I have been studying history on this and other nearby areas for awhile now. One of my big interests are NON-metal items as well and the Military roads and exactly how they were traveled and locations etc. This Fort per a Military Map of that era appears to have gone NNW, then west and then down over a smaller river towards another Fort. I imagine it follows a modern day road exactly except for a missing link in an unincorporated community....Lot of interesting things about this area.

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonelDan I’m so so lucky to be able to stop here and see your amazing work ,,Im Locked in and looking forward to seeing your discoveries in the future

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
ColonelDan I’m so so lucky to be able to stop here and see your amazing work ,,Im Locked in and looking forward to seeing your discoveries in the future

Thank you for those kind words. I'll continue to post our progress. We're currently waiting for the water level to recede so we can access the most productive areas.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
The little museum in Geneva Florida has resumed normal hours of operation: 2nd and 4th Sundays. All our finds thus far at the Fort Lane site can be seen there. If you’re ever in the area, it’s worth a visit.

Geneva Historical Museum

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been in contact with Colonel Dan, Gary and the Geneva Museum regarding this 2nd Seminole War location. I have a lot of experience in Native American artifacts, but have turned my attention on to one of my favorite "parks" I am used to finding non-metal items. Water levels are low as is often the case here in Florida this time of year and walking areas that are under water most of the year today, I found the following. Bottom of a Wine/whiskey bottle of 1800's era (notice the bubbles in the glass). I have seen the same style(s) on display at Fort King (A MAJOR Fort during I think all 3 Seminole Wars in Ocala, FL area) and pretty certain this was a bottle of the time period of the Fort Occupation (3 Months) during the 2nd Seminole War (1835-1842). This find as well as a few bricks that were used at the Fort will be turned in to the Museum here shortly upon confirmation of the bottle. View attachment 1916990 View attachment 1916991 View attachment 1916992 View attachment 1916993 View attachment 1916994 View attachment 1916995 View attachment 1916996 View attachment 1916997

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Update: 11 May 2021

My hunting buddy and I invested a few hours at our Seminole War site today. Since the water level was higher than we would like, we stayed fairly close to the shoreline. Gary, aka Scaryhands, had the find of the day. A pewter trouser button not 10 feet from shore and only a few inches down.

This trouser button was found in the same area as the ring (post #1) and the George Armitage officers cuff button (post #45)

Good job Scaryhands! :occasion14:

Gary Pewter Button.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread