Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 2 , both was by putting my coil over the right target . Close to the 1904 half sov late last year the other targets included . 1966 swimming pool season tag. 1857 half penny gold merchant token , 1950,s crown seal soda bottle from 300 miles away , British Boer War Regiment button. 1942 silver florin . So how do you make any sense of the finds . TP

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you where gold coins are not found... under my coil. That should narrow your search by a little bit.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1784706
found in 2015. in an old cabin floor. the cabin was being removed for a new home to be built. and no, I did not tell anyone. they were bundled up in an old wool sock. they slid out when I scooped up the sock on a shovel. I just about had a heart attack. they will go to my kids. View attachment 1784726

Holy crow man.

Do you realize the value of a couple of those dates ? ? ?

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thumbnail.jpg I have tried many ways to download the front picture. tnet is not accepting the image. I don't understand.
the dates are 5 dollar- 1877, 2-1880, 1881, 2-1883, 2-1884, 1886, 1887, 2-1899, 1900
the 20 dollar dates are 1891, 1896, 1899, 1923, 2-1924
none of them are carson city. I wish though.. I do not know the actual value of each.

Last edited:

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an interesting topic, I have found gold, just not the coin variety as yet(6`years and many different detectors) my primary area of choice is, is in the deep woods, old forgotten homesteads. I currently use the whites mx7. It's a love affair honestly, she sings better than my old lady can, on a solid target. My biggest curiosity is what kind of tone and numeric ID will be given for such a gold coin. Will it give a low number? Or will it blow my ears out due to its denseness, on top of conductivity? I do recall when I ran an AT Pro I landed over an 1877 cc half dollar. I had to take my headphones off on that target. It was in the left over heap pile of a burned down home, about 5 inches deep. It was crisp, clear, and LOUD.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1784843 I have tried many ways to download the front picture. tnet is not accepting the image. I don't understand.
the dates are 5 dollar- 1877, 2-1880, 1881, 2-1883, 2-1884, 1886, 1887, 2-1899, 1900
the 20 dollar dates are 1891, 1896, 1899, 1923, 2-1924
none of them are carson city. I wish though.. I do not know the actual value of each.

Unfortunately the picture isn't good enough to see mint marks or condition.
I do appreciate the effort.

Carson City isn't the only desirable mint.
You may learn a lot if you figured out how to post higher resolution front and back picture of each coin..for instance there is a variety of the 1877 $5 (Philadelphia mint) with ridiculously low mint numbers (1132)!!

Last edited:

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 1877 has an S . seems they mostly have an S or no mint mark. is there such thing as a G mint mark ? thanks
all 3 st. gaudiens look like a G. but I am not positive.

Last edited:

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
both of my 1883 and 1884 5 dollar coins are from philly. they are in beautiful condition. I am kinda freaking out right now. apmex has 1. its a proof for 100k, it says there is only 61 minted . is that correct?

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
both of my 1883 5 dollar coins are from philly. they are in beautiful condition. I am kinda freaking out right now. apmex has 1. its a proof for 100k, it says there is only 61 minted . is that correct?

Business strikes for 1883 had a mintage of 233,400; proofs had a mintage of 61.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thankyou megalodon, I almost keeled over.. I guess I should take and have graded.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winner winner chicken dinner... IF some of those are in top condition.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was tearing down an old cabin. while scooping up debris with a shovel , there was a nasty old sock. as I swung my shovel towards the trash bin, they started to slide out of the sock. I would have thrown them away in 4 seconds more. but I was paying enough attention to what I was doing that I noticed 2 of them . I laid the shovel down and started sifting, I lifted the sock and they all slid out. I tipped over the trash bins in search of more. but no more to be found. 19 coins bundled up in 1 old sock , under the floor boards of an old cabin in
Glen Haven , Colorado.

Congrats and thanks for providing the basis for our dreams tonight!

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to my local coin guy at 1. just called him. he says he can tell me if it is worth having them graded or not. I will let you know what I know. thanks for all your insight guys or girls. I would have let them sit in my safe til I died. and my kids would not know any better than me.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been to the coin guy. he says there is nothing of importance, everything has been slightly circulated. no real values beyond melt value. not worth having graded. he said today they would bring 14 to 15 thousand in total. which I am very happy with. hopefully by the time I kick the bucket they will be worth more for my girls.. lol. still proud to have found them , that is the real treasure. sometimes good enough is great...thanks everybody

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been to the coin guy. he says there is nothing of importance, everything has been slightly circulated. no real values beyond melt value. not worth having graded. he said today they would bring 14 to 15 thousand in total. which I am very happy with. hopefully by the time I kick the bucket they will be worth more for my girls.. lol. still proud to have found them , that is the real treasure. sometimes good enough is great...thanks everybody

Hope ya trust the coin guy.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think so. he understood they are not for sale. so I don't think it would help him to bend the truth. but you never know. until you get burned. I will put them in the trust for my 2 girls. I don't want them to have access to the coins until they are old enough to be responsible with them. or my luck they will sell them for nothing.. after I saved them for 40 years. lol. thanks again to all. and have a Happy new Year..
Sock detector , that's funny A2. I like it. thanks

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa!! STOP THIS THREAD - back up a couple posts (to #26)

That demands better photos - front and back. Please.
That was a hefty sock..is that how you discovered it?
Member since 2012...no banner finds. Very humble of you.

no sir. no banners. that's ok . I like the gold and that's enough. thanks

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think so. he understood they are not for sale. so I don't think it would help him to bend the truth. but you never know. until you get burned. I will put them in the trust for my 2 girls. I don't want them to have access to the coins until they are old enough to be responsible with them. or my luck they will sell them for nothing.. after I saved them for 40 years. lol. thanks again to all. and have a Happy new Year..
Sock detector , that's funny A2. I like it. thanks
I agree with AARC get a couple opinions I also have 2 Daughters and I buy 1 ounce silver bars and put the gold I find in a safe deposit box for them they are both in College now I have 3 jobs lol but I save for when they are much older. Thats a great story and those were meant for you and your Family Happy new year my friend Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread