Gold Coins

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This outta be good Id like to hear there tales and where also

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might just help others

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill tell ya Ive seen many a gold coin find on this site you can also look under the Banner forum and see some info on them and where but it would be nice to have em on one thread tales of lore gallore

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COME ON 175 views NOT one clue as to where to look. Am not asking for locations just types of locations PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d imagine the best chance would be had at VERY old home sites that have a minimum amount of conductive trash.

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one on eBay not too long ago. I discovered it in my mailbox in a plain unmarked envelop a few days later.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COME ON 175 views NOT one clue as to where to look. Am not asking for locations just types of locations PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might have better luck asking for advice on finding pull tabs. Many of us have expert knowledge on finding them with decades of experience, and are happy to help.

And thank you to tnet for not including a "not helpful" button for responding to posts...

Last edited:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent personally found one or seen one dug, but I'll gibe you two tidbits of info I have.

One local guy has found 7 I think. He finds then around the front steps of a home during yard permissions. They get dropped while someone is digging for their house keys.

Second, someone had posted how he finds them. He looks up property deed transactions, and then looks for what the buyer paid the seller with. If it was gold coins, he obtains that permission for that property. He does thus because now he knows the new owner carries gold coins and increases his chances of finding one.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold coins are just like anything else but rarer to find. They are found on beaches, in school yards, parks, private property, anywhere people have gathered. Many have been holed or had things soldered to them for jewelry purposes, some are found in non-soldered coin holders for jewelry use. Some are just plain old dropped coins. Since there were and are a lot less people with gold coins and jewelry than the masses the coins are hard to find. I found my gold $1 piece at a girlfriend's mother's house almost fifty years ago, have never found another. I'd say the large majority of detecting folks never find one in their lives, they are just rare. Of course every time I put my coil to the ground I think I will find another.

Last edited:

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Gare,
This seems like a good topic so I will give what little info that I have. I have never found a gold coin but my father found three. I think that I posted about it before but here goes. Dad found two gold coins on the welcome mat to the local hotel(in Northern California) one evening, this was years ago when they weren't so scarce. He posted the find in the local paper but no one claimed it. Can you imagine that? He also found a $20 gold coin in his orchard while planting something one day. The ranch that he had bought was quite old with two log buildings. Just to clarify, his ranch wasn't anywhere close to a gold bearing area. He never found one with a detector, just by visual.
A friend of my brothers found a $5 gold coin in an empty tin can in North Western Nevada. He had located an old can dump near a hard rock mine and was cleaning it up. None of these finds were with a detector unfortunately.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found mine in 5 feet of water, while detecting at a beach where people swim.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gare,
This seems like a good topic so I will give what little info that I have. I have never found a gold coin but my father found three. I think that I posted about it before but here goes. Dad found two gold coins on the welcome mat to the local hotel(in Northern California) one evening, this was years ago when they weren't so scarce. He posted the find in the local paper but no one claimed it. Can you imagine that? He also found a $20 gold coin in his orchard while planting something one day. The ranch that he had bought was quite old with two log buildings. Just to clarify, his ranch wasn't anywhere close to a gold bearing area. He never found one with a detector, just by visual.
A friend of my brothers found a $5 gold coin in an empty tin can in North Western Nevada. He had located an old can dump near a hard rock mine and was cleaning it up. None of these finds were with a detector unfortunately.

I hope you have followed up on that lead...the gold coin your father found in the orchard..

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out west in the areas that were active during the 1850's...gold nuggets and coins were the normal currency in use at the time.
There were not many banks out in the wilderness..fortunes were won and lost on a daily basis. Stage stops..hotels..and gold camps of that era seem to be productive areas when it comes to gold coins being found.
Some trusted businesses acted as banks.

Those are areas I would suggest concentrating on.

Detectors made specifically for finding gold...say the Fisher Gold Bug II work well for finding gold coins.
Nugget hunters have been known to find gold coins when detecting around gold rush areas.
------------------------
Every gold coin thread deserves at least one dirty picture.
I guess this is the closest we will get to seeing a dirty picture of Lady Liberty?

FB993A47-DFC2-4BD9-B318-759B07693022.jpeg

At least I'm told that's what it's supposed to look like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about telling us what coins you found ?

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zHow about telling us what coins you found ?

Me? There's one rule applicable to this situation...
Rule #1 : I'm number one.

I did mention some good places to look and a good detector to use.
All metal mode and the highest sensitivity conditions will permit.
When detecting occupied areas heavy with targets, choose the smallest coil offered with your detector.

I've not found many gold coins in many locations, but many of the gold coins I've heard about being found were around gold camps..saloons..hotels...stage stops..ect.

Tom in CA (no longer posting here) posted up numerous finds that fit that category.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I feel the very best opportunity are stories like what was mentioned earlier about someone digging up a single coin while planting a tree.

I spoke with a local guy that followed up on a family story regarding recovered stolen stage coach loot.
An agreement was made with the landowner which resulted in a handful or more of gold coins being found..something about the coins being recovered scattered across the ground originally when the robber was caught.

Another cache being found in an outhouse..more from a street digout in front of a saloon...

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Only gold coin I ever found was in a panda coin ring. Eyeball find at a ropeswing swimming hole. Was probably 1989-90. I was even more of an idiot then than I am now, pawned it for $55 IIRC. No help to anyone lol...

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of the greatest gold coin find... visually even... off a trail in the woods on a private property.

Saddle_Ridge_Hoard_1886-S_10_dollar_slab.gif Saddle_Ridge_Hoard_coins_and_dirt.jpg Saddle_Ridge_Hoard_can.jpg

Saddle Ridge Hoard

Size
1,427 coins

Created
1847 to 1894

Discovered
Gold Country, Sierra Nevada, California in February 2013

Present location
Tiburon, California

The Saddle Ridge Hoard is the name given to identify a treasure trove of 1,427 gold coins unearthed in the Gold Country of the Sierra Nevada, California in 2013. The face value of the coins totaled $27,980, but was assessed to be worth $10 million. In total, the hoard contains $27,460 in twenty-dollar coins, $500 in ten-dollar coins, and $20 in five-dollar coins, all dating from 1847 to 1894. The collection is the largest known discovery of buried gold coins that has ever been recovered in the US.

PS ) ) )

THOSE OF YOU WHO IGNORE IRON... TAKE NOTE. heh

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread